Still looking for a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:12 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Craig911
The way it stands now, I would pay about $4000 for the warranty. The dealer says it would be valid even on the track. I am not planning on putting many miles on the car, it will only be for fun and occasional track driving so its hard to see how I will get my moneys worth. If I was planning on putting 90k miles on it in 2 years then I would go for it, but it will probably be more like 10k miles in 2 years.
Any other opinions? Am I missing anything here?
If you are buying it from the dealer why the car doesn't come with a CPO?

I am not understanding what Mooty said. I am not sure if he's saying that the track use will void all the warranty?
Old 03-05-2010, 12:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

At least for me(knock on wood) my gt3 has been trouble free. I don't know if cpo is worth it. Now with respect to my wife's pepper mobile- hell yeah- there's so much electrical/mechanical stuff that can happen. Nice to have a cpo if it came with it but I concur with mooty's comment- I wouldn't pay for one. Mike
Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Craig911
Advanced

The Porsche dealer is using the CPO as a bargaining chip, ie. $4000 more is added to the price of the car if I go with it. I never have seen this either but then again I have never bought a used Porsche from a Porsche dealer.
Since Porsche dealers supposedly don't sell cars that they have not thoroughly checked, I am assuming the car is good and I am asking for their PPI before I buy. However, they said they need to have their mechanic do an overrev check before they can send it to me. I would have thought they would have done that before putting the car on the market?? Kinda weird.
Should I get an independent PPI from another Porsche mechanic before I commit since I am not going with the CPO?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink

Go there as a ready-to-purchase, and tell them you want to pay $this-much and want the CPO included in the price. You got to because, I don't know about many of you, but it is a big-ticket item for me to be not checking what I could have checked.

People with cars that have no issues whatsoever will tell you it's not worth it. But remember, the same arguement can be made to Collision/Medical Insurance! Just a little thing go click, you are in for $2K-$3K deep.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mention the words: track, race, or modified regarding any warranty associated repair because it will be used against you.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Craig911
Advanced

Exactly, they would have no way of knowing you were on a track when your engine blew up!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
If you are buying it from the dealer why the car doesn't come with a CPO?

I am not understanding what Mooty said. I am not sure if he's saying that the track use will void all the warranty?
dealers do not always cpo cars.
it cost them about 1500-2000 (approx) to cpo the car and some customers do not want cpo (i dont). if you want cpo, it only takes them less than 60 min to do it. they really dont chk much.

if you track once in a while, they wont void your warranty. but if you really tracked the car, it's not hard to tell. and they can easily give you a hard time. i didn't say they will void warranty, but they will give you hard time and i hate arguing with them about this and that.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

The way it stands now, I would pay about $4000 for the warranty. The dealer says it would be valid even on the track. I am not planning on putting many miles on the car, it will only be for fun and occasional track driving so its hard to see how I will get my moneys worth. If I was planning on putting 90k miles on it in 2 years then I would go for it, but it will probably be more like 10k miles in 2 years.
Any other opinions? Am I missing anything here?
4k is too much, you are being ripped off in broad day light. they are making a profit on the CPO.

sure, they tell you everything is covered. wait until you need it.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:16 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

CPO added +/-1500 US$ to my car when bought used Sept 2008.

Never got anything in the mail confirming CPO, but subsequent visit to the dealer indicated that the car was indeed CPO through service manager's terminal.

Until that point I felt that I got fleeced on the CPO charge, and still now, I'm still suspecting that maybe the previous owner had shelled out the money for the CPO when purchased new.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Mooty certified my car. It's stamped as "CPOS". Mike
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Craig911
Advanced

I'm in the final negotiations with this car with a Porsche dealer and need advice on the price. It is the perfect color for me and really clean:
--90xx miles
--one owner, a woman who rarely drove it and never tracked it
--Porsche certified--for what its worth
--Their overrev inspection reveals: Type 1: 6,568; Type 2: 0
--Clean carfax, all required maintenance at this dealer
--Body, interior etc. perfect condition no dings, new paint etc.

They want $60k no warranty, or $64k with warranty and they are not budging much. It's only been for sale for 1 week so they have little incentive now to reduce price.

Is this worth the price? I know there are a lot of other cars out there in the low to mid-50s but I have not seen one this clean and also the perfect (and rare) color for me ie. not red, yellow, silver or white. Should I get an independent PPI if I do not go for the warranty?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, you still need independent PPI from another shop that knows this model. You must put some effort into this because the dealer is just selling another 'unit'.

CPO. As another Rennlister said the cost to a buyer is typically $1250-$2000. Big factors on this cost is the condition of the tires and service history. Porsche dealer cannot CPO if tires aren't within specs and new tires are expensive. I think the CPO is worth it for the price range I stated because now is the only time you will get one on this car (has to be done by dealer selling the car, not private party). Maybe they want $4000 because the tires have to be replaced, ask them.

Price. Good PPI, one owner is rare, tires good, no paint work, get CPO cost down then $58,000 - $62,000 range won't kill you. No car transport involved correct (long distance haul)?

Send me a private message with VIN and I will see if I have anything on this car in my data base.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

coming from a dealer, you know you will pay a bit more.
i would go to 60k if need be. but 64 is getting way high.
but then again, if this IS the car you want, i wouldn't lose the car for 4000.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^what he said "if your drooling and the car looks like puppy eyes for u"- go for it. Cars are emotional purchases. Mike

Quick Reply: Still looking for a GT3