Sponsored by:

Still looking for a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
It's a typo.... that's the problem with used car dealers-- they have no idea what a GT3 is, which is why I'd be hesitant to buy this type of car from a random dealer.

There aren't any GT3's around San Diego?
Its definitely a typo about that automatic transmission, you can see the manual stick and clutch in the photos. I've ruled that one out but am still considering the one in S. Carolina.

I wish there were some GT3s for sale in San Diego, there are barely any for sale at all in California! it seems all of them are on the East Coast, Texas or Arizona.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 AM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been on the hunt as well and have not found any around the SD area. There was a black 2004 in Santa Monica on Craigslist with around 30K miles, posted for $53.5k, but I think it sold within 2 weeks. That seal gray gt3 is in very nice condition and seems to have a good history on it, however it is a 2 owner car and has 40K+ miles on it, so price may be a bit steep. Good luck on your search!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

I think it's fairly close to impossible to find a GT3 for sale by the original owner now. Since there were only about 750 imported, I would imagine most have changed hands at least once in 6 years. Also, when they came out in 2004, demand was hot, there was a waiting list, and none available to the general public. I couldn't get one, even though I had previously bought a new C2 from the dealer.

I happened across mine by chance--- the guy who owned it bought it new from Champion Motorsport in Fl, and had it shipped to CA. (He couldn't get one in CA either) He had it about 16 months, then got a call from the BMW dealer that he could get one of the first M5's that were coming in. Since he already had a 996 Turbo, a Ferrari, & a couple of other cars, he decided to sell the GT3. He wasn't a track guy anyway, he only bought it because it was impossible to get when it was new, and he wanted to have one. (Which is why he jumped on the M5). Some people are just like that, they have lots of money to throw at new cars, and always want to have the "latest & greatest", even if it really doesn't suit their needs--- since "needs" have nothing to do with it.

So, at this point, since the 996GT3 is "old news", they are sought after by the people who appreciate them for the machine that they are, and not simply because they are the newest thing and they have the money and opportunity to get one.

This is also the reason I'd be hesitant to buy one from a used car dealer. The types mentioned above generally don't keep cars long, don't really understand the mechanicals, and don't really care. It's all about the show. I'm not knocking those types of buyers, simply describing a certain type of customer.
Some do understand and appreciate the cars, others have no idea. Fortunately, the guy I bought mine from was an enthusiast, had a great relationship with a local Porsche dealer, and I was able to speak to the salesman and the mechanics about him and the particular car. They put it up on the lift and went over everything for me just to make sure I was happy with the guy's car before buying it. I figure since they weren't selling it, and had nothing to gain, it was most likely reliable treatment.

just a couple of thoughts re the market for these cars
Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y'all need to come to Texas and check out ours!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964Q
I have been on the hunt as well and have not found any around the SD area. There was a black 2004 in Santa Monica on Craigslist with around 30K miles, posted for $53.5k, but I think it sold within 2 weeks. That seal gray gt3 is in very nice condition and seems to have a good history on it, however it is a 2 owner car and has 40K+ miles on it, so price may be a bit steep. Good luck on your search!
Here's where the Santa Monica car ended up:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Is it just me or is the third radiator actually covered?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

I can't imagine buying a GT3 for any purpose other than track/competition

They are pretty terrible street cars. A new 997S is almost as fast and way more reasonable.

Have you spent a lot of time in a 6 GT3? Driven one in the rain?

Maybe replace the springs in your current car with iron drain pipe to get an idea how the car will drive...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

I think GT3's are pretty good street cars-- that's all I use mine for. Granted, it's great on a freeway or long road trip, and sucks in stop & go traffic. I just make sure I don't drive it when there's traffic. It's much more fun to drive than my C2 was.

The GT3 is like a Lexus compared to my Lotus. I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Yeah I agree its all what you are used to. My wife drives a Honda S2000 and my 996 C2 and the GT3s we have driven feel like luxury cars in comparison. The S2000 suspension will knock your fillings out on a bad road and it's never gone through a driveway without scraping the front end. Great car for the money but gutless compared to the 911s.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Craig911
Advanced

Another reason I want a GT3 over a 996 or 997 C2 is that I think they are rare enough that they will hold their value better. i don't expect them to appreciate anytime soon but at least they won't depreciate as much as the C2s. Can't do much worse than the stocks i've bought the last couple of years and they are are a hell of lot more fun!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

Also, since the GT3's engine & transmission are unique to that car, as well as the suspension and other pieces, they have a completely different feel than a C2. Another point to consider, is it seems as though Porsche is going away from the GT1 derived motor in favor of just a more potent variant of the same engine in that's used in the production cars. Considering the difference between the GT3 motor and the 996 C2 motor, this would be awful, but, since the new motors with direct injection haven't been out long enough to tell, who knows?

It's possible that down the line, the GT3's with the "old" GT1 derived motor hold some special value. Hey, it's always good to hope!

But, then again, the new direct injection motor may turn out to be the best power plant Porsche ever built, and the old GT3 engine will simply be a relic. Dunno.....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Just like the old days- keep the dry sump motor for all models and throw the new engine in the dumpster : ). Jk. Time will tell if the new engine will be used in racing but frankly Porsche need a midengine monster in racing. Mike
Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig911
Very nice, gotta check that one out. Finally one for sale that's in the same state. Thanks!
i know of a sweet SY one FS in Carlsbad.
PCCBs / Euro seats and Tequipment bar
19K miles
driven by a little old lady........................................ effectively.
owner is a professional mechanic

car is not cheap though

pm me if you want more details

craig
Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
Also, since the GT3's engine & transmission are unique to that car, as well as the suspension and other pieces, they have a completely different feel than a C2. Another point to consider, is it seems as though Porsche is going away from the GT1 derived motor in favor of just a more potent variant of the same engine in that's used in the production cars. Considering the difference between the GT3 motor and the 996 C2 motor, this would be awful, but, since the new motors with direct injection haven't been out long enough to tell, who knows?

It's possible that down the line, the GT3's with the "old" GT1 derived motor hold some special value. Hey, it's always good to hope!

But, then again, the new direct injection motor may turn out to be the best power plant Porsche ever built, and the old GT3 engine will simply be a relic. Dunno.....
I agree. Maybe the body styling of the 996 is not as desirable (I like it), but the mechanics of the gt3 make it a great "value" for people who want porsche performance/reliability without 6 figure price tags. Also, like Steve said, the 3.6 GT1 derived motor might be something of value down the road. Even though the turbo houses a similar engine, the normally aspirated variant in the GT3 is limited production.

Regarding that black GT3 in Santa Monica, I wonder what he sold it for. He listed it as $53,500?, but I'm sure the dealer didn't pay that much. Or maybe they did as they have listed it for $60k+. I thought this was a buyers market?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
i know of a sweet SY one FS in Carlsbad.
PCCBs / Euro seats and Tequipment bar
19K miles
driven by a little old lady........................................ effectively.
owner is a professional mechanic

car is not cheap though

pm me if you want more details

craig
WOW 2 people have already PM'd me for more details.
I'll ask the owner if he wants to share his contact info.

another teaser, he is the original owner and the car was ordered by Bill Hoehn to be a "demo show-off car". John bought it before Bill even drove it.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
WOW 2 people have already PM'd me for more details.
I'll ask the owner if he wants to share his contact info.

another teaser, he is the original owner and the car was ordered by Bill Hoehn to be a "demo show-off car". John bought it before Bill even drove it.
owner = John Bessey
reach him at

jkb5 <at> worldnet <dot> att <dot> net

yes, there should be two <dots>

good luck, but i'll hate you for buying the car i wish i had the $$$$$$$ to buy :-)

Quick Reply: Still looking for a GT3