Sponsored by:

SharkWerks 996 GT3 Project Car Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Alex,

Do you expect the 3.9 treatment to go pretty much the same as the 997 GT3? (since you mentioned the engine are very similar) Or there will be things that need to be done differently??

Different cam?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
The 3.9L conversion is the ultimate! It would be my dream setup.. !!

Can you please convince more people to do the conversion so you can lower the price on that?!
Hehe thanks... Well it's gotten a good response. I think in Europe the price for something like this is in the 40K Euro range so if things go well we may yet start to get engines from over seas. The 6 has a few possibilities and also some unfortunate requirements that add to the expense but the good news is we're going to learn on our car first. Play around with all the different things and once the coughers run dry we'll see what actually makes economical sense too

Originally Posted by Michael B.
Super thread that just keeps getting better.
Thanks Michael... we also sort of opened a can of worms and possibilities when we split the case It's going to take a while longer but it will be worth it

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Ya know Alex, I am going to have to send you my car as soon as this track season ends. This motor is ridiculous. First I wanted it, now I need it.
Hehe thanks Ron... it's a long season so put some miles on!

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Hi Alex, I am wondering if the parking brake is still there with those calipers at the rear?
Parking brake works a-ok
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys could sell tickets to help with this kind of work; this would be like fantasy camp; really cool stuff IMO. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:17 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cfjan
Alex,

Do you expect the 3.9 treatment to go pretty much the same as the 997 GT3? (since you mentioned the engine are very similar) Or there will be things that need to be done differently??

Different cam?
Well things are similar but yet different... This is why it's good we use our car for development I'll have more soon
Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
Alex, what kind of rebuild are you having GT do to the LSD?
We're just uprgading it with our rebuild kit. Because the 996 already has 40/60 ramps and good spider gears in it, there's no reason to go any further, even for the power levels they are making. But having an LSD in there that actually locks is going to let this car put all that extra power to the ground. They've just got to make sure their tires are sticky enough.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Ale-Superbike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello I am following this post, congratulations. I have a 996 Carrera 2 2003, and I want to mount the throttle body that I bought the GT3. Now I need to mount a new plenum. The original of the 996 GT3 plenum I see in this post, which has diameter in the two late? The outer diameter of the plenum to the sides where the sleeves and rubber 'of 97 mm? While in front of where the throttle body and the inner diameter 'of 83 mm, with a distance of 4 holes of 75 mm? Thank you.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will you have dyno results any time soon?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTgears
We're just uprgading it with our rebuild kit. Because the 996 already has 40/60 ramps and good spider gears in it, there's no reason to go any further, even for the power levels they are making. But having an LSD in there that actually locks is going to let this car put all that extra power to the ground. They've just got to make sure their tires are sticky enough.
Hehe I know man... I already got a nice plate for this car "NO PSM" but with those skinny 295s... Oh oh

Originally Posted by Ale-Superbike
Hello I am following this post, congratulations. I have a 996 Carrera 2 2003, and I want to mount the throttle body that I bought the GT3. Now I need to mount a new plenum. The original of the 996 GT3 plenum I see in this post, which has diameter in the two late? The outer diameter of the plenum to the sides where the sleeves and rubber 'of 97 mm? While in front of where the throttle body and the inner diameter 'of 83 mm, with a distance of 4 holes of 75 mm? Thank you.
Hey there.. hope you got my PM. The best person to talk to is IPD who makes the plenum

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Will you have dyno results any time soon?
Next step is assembly, break-in and then we'll get together with EVOMS to do the live tuning. So absolutely
Old 05-21-2010, 02:06 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely love this thread. Great to see in detail the (re)build process, including differences/similarities between the 996 & 997 GT3 engines. Keep up the good work SharkWerks!
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

After looking at this <https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/569382-nip-tuck.html> thread on the Akrapovic 997 GT3 exhaust, I wonder if the headers+mufflers would fit on my 996 GT3, needing only a short pipe from the muffler to the bumper cutouts. Light weight and good sound? Alex, are you interested in trying this combo on your 996 GT3 and helping us all out? Thanks for the great thread.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 188 Posts

Old 05-22-2010, 09:52 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by plima
After looking at this <https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/569382-nip-tuck.html> thread on the Akrapovic 997 GT3 exhaust, I wonder if the headers+mufflers would fit on my 996 GT3, needing only a short pipe from the muffler to the bumper cutouts. Light weight and good sound? Alex, are you interested in trying this combo on your 996 GT3 and helping us all out? Thanks for the great thread.
The headers/cats would work but the mufflers wouldn't fit on existing mounts etc. it might be possible to fit and then only do a short pipe etc... but I'd be more inclined to use that set up in a similar fashion to what we're doing and go center out if you will? My pleasure on the thread and it's just been a fun journey. I've got a bunch more stuff to show you guys with the assembly starting shortly

Originally Posted by micahbones
Absolutely love this thread. Great to see in detail the (re)build process, including differences/similarities between the 996 & 997 GT3 engines. Keep up the good work SharkWerks!
Thanks and we'll see just where and how she ends up soon! I'm looking forward to getting her on the road in a couple of weeks. There's a few more differences that we'll point out but it's been give and take so to speak vs the 997. We've had to work a bit harder on the 996 but it's all in fun
Originally Posted by 4porsh

Originally Posted by inverterman
Cool avatar!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Back over to assembly now...

In goes the crank, GT3R oil pump, all new bearings and of course the Ti rods....

The EVOMS head stud kit installed:

There was an short break as we moved over to the new shop and James' new engine room. In go the Sharkwerks big bore pistons/liners:

Coming together... and the block starts to grow:

Now we get to the all-important cam shafts:

Timing the cams (these require different timing blocks from from the 997GT3):

More to follow shortly but we're getting closer...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exciting progress

If it dynos wel this mod is a much better choice for track guys IMHO

Quick Reply: SharkWerks 996 GT3 Project Car Build