Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Please share before and after dyno results
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure it makes sense to retrofit 997 headers when they aren't even equal length. If upgrading may as well get something better designed surely?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you guys like the Europipe system? I thought they did a fair amount of work making a nice system for the 6GT3. They claim 14hp improvement, which is decent for just an exhaust system. Of course, it's designed as a street system, not as loud as a track setup, so the goals are slightly different.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
Not sure it makes sense to retrofit 997 headers when they aren't even equal length. If upgrading may as well get something better designed surely?
They already did all the fab and design work for the center section on the 997 cars. Adding the 997 headers brings it all together pretty easily.

...and if it makes it have the heavenly exhuast note of the 997 cars I'll be in love.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm afraid that the current setup is gonna be too loud for street use.. I hope Alex comes up w/ something that's close to the Europipe!

And for 1/2 of the price....

I can dream, can't I?!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

Yeah, of all the exhaust systems I've seen, the Europipe is one of the best--- custom jobs excepted. Absolutely no resonance, and a nice shriek at full throttle. I have different tips than the standard Europipe for mine, giving it a different look.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve B in SD; 09-24-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:34 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I don't think that plastic license plate frame will last long so close to the exhaust tip on that second GT3
that 2nd car is mine and I am not new to this dance :-)
the lp frame is fine 15 track days later
Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Stiggy
Track Day

I like the tips Steve B in SD. Who makes those?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

They were custom ordered from Europipe.....

Last edited by Steve B in SD; 09-24-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
They already did all the fab and design work for the center section on the 997 cars. Adding the 997 headers brings it all together pretty easily.

...and if it makes it have the heavenly exhuast note of the 997 cars I'll be in love.
Right but from a customer perspective you still have to buy a header and the stock unit from the 7 presumably costs as much as something equal length would.

More appealing to have a one stop shop for header/pipe/map which doesn't leave many options and rules out Europipe.

The reason I've still not upgraded mine is the noise thing. If someone comes up with a complete system+map that doesn't resonate, allows me to easily bolt on something to quieten it down when necessary and doesn't cost the 17k USD Manthey charge I'd be interested. Its just no one makes what I want to buy. Even the Manthey system is too loud.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM
ckdc
Track Day

Default Bumper mods for exhaust

If someone was handy with bodywork and fiberglass, would modifying a stock 996 GT3 bumper work? It doesn't look too hard to fill in the stock cutouts, and then open up the middle for the new exits, assuming the license plate area could be addressed to still be functional. I've done a bunch of custom fiberglass work to my boat (read like every summer) so I've got everything needed to mod, respray and clearcoat the stock bumper.

Anyone done this yet?

Last edited by ckdc; 01-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ckdc
If someone was handy with bodywork and fiberglass, would modifying a stock 996 GT3 bumper work? It doesn't look too hard to fill in the stock cutouts, and then open up the middle for the new exits, assuming the license plate area could be addressed to still be functional. I've done a bunch of custom fiberglass work to my boat (read like every summer) so I've got everything needed to mod, respray and clearcoat the stock bumper.

Anyone done this yet?
Hey CKDC we did think about that... and it might still go that road.... I'll see how she looks with this first tho I know what you mean about the bottom of the motor/exhaust showing due it not being as low in the rear of the cup set up.

Originally Posted by cfjan
I'm afraid that the current setup is gonna be too loud for street use.. I hope Alex comes up w/ something that's close to the Europipe!

And for 1/2 of the price....

I can dream, can't I?!
You're absolutely right it's going to be gnarly:P As for Europipe, Stef/Herman make a FINE, FINE exhaust and I wouldn't dream of attempting to compete with them there As far as side mufflers go there isn't any need either since they do it best

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Roger that! I think with around 500hp out of that set up we're not dealing with any restriction... Cup cars are running around like that so it's more than plenty for me

Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
Don't you guys like the Europipe system? I thought they did a fair amount of work making a nice system for the 6GT3. They claim 14hp improvement, which is decent for just an exhaust system. Of course, it's designed as a street system, not as loud as a track setup, so the goals are slightly different.
Absolutely I do! Installed them a good few times as well... I think if I were going to keep the side mufflers that's what I would have done. I just wanted the same headers as the 7 and the same sound as I have on the RS. The sound aint half-bad either (although loud!).

Originally Posted by DanH
I know what you mean.... although they're still a big improvement over the 6s. I still haven't found anything after-market that didn't actually "loose" power (no joke) as far as changing the header/cats on the 7GT3s. Even with our 500hp motor we stayed with that same cup design and it worked well. I think on the 6 there's a lot more room for improvement since the headers and cats are separate units. I just wanted the center exit (silly me!).

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Please share before and after dyno results
Absolutely.. we'll get to that

Originally Posted by jmla
Alex, couldn't a good body shop modify the stock bumper? I like how the middle section hangs lower than the Cup version.
You're right they could and I might well do that too

Not too much progress this week since we had a full house although for the life of me it's sad to see the 18 inch wheel "business" so dead Seems like everyone's moved on to 19s (and gosh-darnit) 20s.... As a result we did these

Old 01-30-2010, 01:20 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
I would like to see an exhaust for the 996 GT3 that takes off weight, sound nice, and most important adds torque and HP with proof. Then create what ever is needed to pass sound at those "special" tracks. Last concern would need to be able to put back on the canisters or what ever is needed for passing smog.
What do think?

Joe
Seriously. I will buy one today if these points can be addressed. Billy Boat claimed to pass Laguna sound but in reality you needed to "breathe" the throttle out of 5 up the hill.

I am all eyes on any replies to these points.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you are going to take this one up to 3.9 right? I mean that is what I've been waiting for ever since y'all bought this one. Not to mention if I can find a 6GT3 for around $40k it will be on!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

c'mon, surprise me.
3.9 is so last week.
alex, do a 4.5L

Quick Reply: SharkWerks 996 GT3 Project Car Build