Sponsored by:

Wheel Recommendations for track use

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

of the four wheels you listed, i will ONLY run BBS E88 with alum center. all others are way over rated unless you are 1. sponsored or 2. you just have way too much money.

CF technology for auto wheels is not quite mature yet. only took a decade for them to barely figure out bicycle wheels in CF..

and any serious track drivers must consider CCW as well as jong bloed. not doing so would be ...... ah... how should i say this politely... stupid.

and i have track a lot of GT3, with over 20k track miles on GT3 chassis and way too many sets of wheels to keep track. my money goes to CCW and jong bloed, followed closely by BBS E88 alum center. i will not run any other wheels.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Stiggy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that input Mooty. You seem confident in your recommendation.

BTW, I just noticed you guys have a full section dedicated to wheels an tires. Total noob mistake

But I'm finding a lot of useful information there.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
- My GT3 is tuned: Upgraded steel brake lines, RUF adjusted suspension (camber has been adjusted as well), RUF ECU upgrade, RUF exhaust, RUF headers, RUF downpipe, RUF gasket, RUF short shifter, RUF clutch
What's a "RUF gasket"? They make gaskets? Why?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I have CCW, Champion, and E88 BBS with Alum. centers. I also like the CCWs for cost/weight. I must say also that the Champions are REALLY light and easy to keep clean, but are pricey. The E88s are classic, very strong, but also pretty expensive. Bottom line...for track wheels, CCW make the most sense to me.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Stiggy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
What's a "RUF gasket"? They make gaskets? Why?
They just help seal things better. Not a big deal really.

And I see more fans of CCW (Chuck). I can't argue with tried and tested,
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

we like ccw b/c it's $2800 1 pc forged. i drive over berms at just about every turn. they stay straight.

no three pcs wheels are stronger, yes i know pro's run those, but pro's get them rebuild very often and their cars are at least 700 lbs lighter than ours. some tell you cheaper to fix 3pc wheels. well.... i have never just bent a single half, it's always both in and outside, so it' not that cheap. and you have down time. if you bent the cetner, it's more $$$ than buying a new ccw.

jong bloed is very light and very strong. small company. both JB and CCW you call and talk to the person who's actually cutting your wheels. can't beat that.

of course if you really dont care for money, i would do BBS E88 alum center. they are purty.... and $6000/set ;-)

i ride on CF bike wheels. i am 175lbs and i destroy those wheels. if you hit a berm a few tims with CF wheels..... open your wallet. not bad wheels, just too $$$ for me to trash on track.

CCW is not free of issues. theie prices are lower b/c their finish is not comparable to bbs, fikse, hre or jb. it's not ugly, but it's not jewel finished like the others. i probably wont put ccw on my street car garage queen... but i have no garage queen.

Last edited by mooty; 01-05-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After I stop laughing at(with) Mooty's responses, I'll add my vote for CCW's. They're on my car in the avatar...
Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
After I stop laughing at(with) Mooty's responses, I'll add my vote for CCW's. They're on my car in the avatar...
+1

CCW C10 in my avatar
Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of CCW 3-piece Classic Race wheels that were custom built in 18x9/18x11. They are $2200 a set + options (bolts, finish). Weight is 18 lbs front and 20 lbs rear. Customer service is hard to beat from CCW. I've sent them a wheel and they were able to rebuilt it and sent back all in the same week. If you go with the 1-piece wheels they are about 1 lb lighter a wheel, but I would like to advise you to seriously look at a 3-piece wheel.

In a recent track outing, I evidentally had a rear tire that was losing pressure. Coming around a left hand downhill corner at peak grip, the tire popped off the outside of the rim. I went about 100' with the rim rubbing the ground. Had this been a 1-piece wheel, it would have meant buying a new wheel. Since it is a 3-piece wheel, it was just replacing a rim half. $150 for a rim half is a fraction of the $700 for a new one piece wheel.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 453 Posts

CCW's see avatar. Corsairs C14 I have run on 3 different cars M3, GT3, GT2, and never had a problem. Not for the concours crowd though they are all business.

Peter
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
CCW's see avatar. Corsairs C14 I have run on 3 different cars M3, GT3, GT2, and never had a problem. Not for the concours crowd though they are all business.

Peter
I have a set of C14 and know exactly what you mean about the finish. The C10 with the shot peened, black ano finish is a lot nicer than the older "raw" C14 I bought first. John is always refining the process on his wheels so I'm not sure what he's doing now.

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Allan,

Do you have problem w/ the ano finished? Because people say that anodized finish turns blue / purple when stressed under track use (high temp from the brake). Can you comment on that?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
In a recent track outing, I evidentally had a rear tire that was losing pressure. Coming around a left hand downhill corner at peak grip, the tire popped off the outside of the rim. I went about 100' with the rim rubbing the ground. Had this been a 1-piece wheel, it would have meant buying a new wheel. Since it is a 3-piece wheel, it was just replacing a rim half. $150 for a rim half is a fraction of the $700 for a new one piece wheel.
Curious... was there a noticable problem with that tire like a nail or did it just deflate?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I have a set of C14 and know exactly what you mean about the finish. The C10 with the shot peened, black ano finish is a lot nicer than the older "raw" C14 I bought first. John is always refining the process on his wheels so I'm not sure what he's doing now.

Cheers,
i got C10 and C14's.
both great.
john is working on some newer and lighter C10's soon.
my next set, i plan to have john gold plate those for me.
the bling will distract my competitors and maybe they will let me sneak by.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
Hi Allan,

Do you have problem w/ the ano finished? Because people say that anodized finish turns blue / purple when stressed under track use (high temp from the brake). Can you comment on that?
There is a very slight color change but I'm fine with it. There is more of a color change on the outside of my tires than on the wheels. I'd definitely buy them again. I bought these black C10 almost 2 years ago so I'm not sure what finishes John is doing now.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Wheel Recommendations for track use