Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP- Any more info on this 05 White GT3 in NY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP- Any more info on this 05 White GT3 in NY?

http://www.myhillsideauto.com/vehicle.asp?v=778941

http://www.baronusedcars.com/vehicle.asp?v=778941

I'm looking to buy this on Saturday for $50K. Had the car PPI'd at my mechanic, Lynmore Motorsports in Huntington, and it mechanically was good with good compression and ran well...I drove it pretty much all day when not being looked-over.
Also spoke with Roslyn Porsche, who serviced it and replaced it's tranny 2K miles ago.
The car apparently had a hit in the front (not disclosed by dealership or prior dealer), just to the front of the rails, no real damage past the bumper cross-beam, and was repaired. A new bumper, possibly new fenders/and the hood was repainted. A few of the bulbs in the front left headlight are screwey/dim.
Cosmetically, the car looks good...mechanically, it's pretty solid from what we can tell.

Overall, the car looks good and I'm not scared of the front hit (it looks like the driver hit a truck bumper...no damage to the gas-tank)...drives good, but it's got some history...as evidenced here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ck-05-gt3.html

I wonder if anyone has anything else to add to this. Is this a car to walk from or does it just need a new/loving home and some TLC.

I'm trading my '08 M3 in for it plus $2K for the car...only way I can really obtain one of these cars at this time. Currently has just under 32K miles...and no warranty.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks so much,
TomK
Old 09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess the price is acceptable since you are doing a trade in. I read the old thread again and woneer why those other buyers did not finish the deal. In the Hill Side Auto photos the rear body panel below the rear glass does not look flush with the driver rear quarter panel. Did you check that out?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

You can do better for $50k IMO.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 PM
ace996
Instructor

Spoke with a couple of guys today about the history of the car and more history/issues.

Sounds like the vehicle was crashed, then left out in the rain (the tools in the front were rusty and also rust on the frame'cross-beam). The moisture could very well be the culprit of the electrical/bulbs issues in the front/lights. I also find out the car was brought to another dealer on Long Island for "torque-steer" issues - not sure how a rwd car has torque-steer, but that could possibly stem from damage from the hit. I'm not comfortable that there isn't damage where the front frame rails meet the tub, and that would not be fun to fix. I also am not comfortable "testing" the integrity of shoddy chassis repair at 150mph.

I'm passing on this car, just can't justify trading in a mint '08M3, which is absolutely brilliant as a street/track dual-purpose car, for a car with this many hidden issues/unknowns/knowns. I figure a good $5K would bring the car to "solid" status (sourcing underbody panels, front lip, bulbs/electrical, redone chasis repair) and that's not including the necessary safety-mods for tracking. I don't want my first P-car experience to be tainted so I'm going to wait/continue looking for a good example. No doubt, the GT3 infection has set-in and I will not sleep peacefully until I've one in my garage.

Thank you for your help,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 09-25-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

run, don't walk from that car. It has been for sale forever.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

There are plenty of good cars out there if you are willing to pay the proper market price.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seek and yee shall find
Old 09-27-2009, 04:43 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It took me about 8 months to find the right GT3 for my needs (lots of track mods, etc)

If you are looking for stock unmodified cars the selection is really good right now

Take the time up front and don't regret your decision later
Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 AM
ace996
Instructor

WP0AC29965S692091

Looks like the car went through the dealer auction again...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...aptcha=success
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

The dealer sold that car as soon as it hit Autotrader. I stopped to look, they told me it was being shipped to Munich.

Quick Reply: HELP- Any more info on this 05 White GT3 in NY?