In defense of the 996 GT3 Forum and RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Default In defense of the 996 GT3 Forum and RL

In light of the Martin Bishop thread, I just wanted to add say that I've found a lot of good info and ideas on RL and in particualr the 996 GT3 forum. There is a kinship, it appears, with us 996gt3 owners that may not be the same in other subforums on RL.

I know that there is a wealth of info from guys I've come to rely on like Dell and Mooty and I was genuinely upset when Dell decided to leave RL for a while after some unfair treatment he received, not necessarily on this subforum, but in others here on RL. I'm glad that he and Mooty still come back and share their knowledge and their current interests with us that are still in the GT3 fold.

One of the positive things about Rl is that if one of us is going to sell a car, a lot of us know the condition, track experience and if there were ever any mismaps on track.

I know Vic, Martin (not Martin Bishop) and Joe (Dell's old car) know my car and me and could vouch if I ever sold. I'm sure that's the same case with others.

For the record, I bought my car off a RL member 3 years ago and have been very happy since. Hope that we can keep it civil within our ranks. I don't want to sound elitist, but sometimes it's the non GT3 owners that come in here and cause a stir. On the other hand, I can put myself in their shoes as spending upwards of 50-60K on a car that might be off warranty is a huge investment.

Just some random thoughts. Cheers....
Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,784 Likes on 2,371 Posts

well said, pete.
but it is often not easy to sell cars on RL.
my last 6gt3 was one of the finest i ever owned and possibly the cleanest. i finally go tired dealing with tire kickers so i sold it way below $50k.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 pete
this sub forum has been very helpful
I enjoy the "virtual" camraderie etc.

I do not know Martin B. but wish him the best... If I did not have a 3 already and I was shopping I would not have hesitated to buy his. I forwarded his thread (pre-disaster) to several of my non RL friends that are starting to get interested as the prices continue to fall...

martin -- if you are out there -- good luck -- it will not be long.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I think we all know the problem is the type of "media" in which we are communicating, not the forum.

It is so easy to make improper and unfounded comments when one is basically anonymous and not in direct "face to face" contact with the audience. A new place to bully people.

Selling a Porsche on the Rennlist does bring a lot of mean and pointless remarks.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well put Pete. I can honestly say that the GT3 forum here is a special place like no other on RL. Some of my greatest friends I met HERE and would hate to see this forum get a mark on it like some of the other forums.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
well said, pete.
but it is often not easy to sell cars on RL.
my last 6gt3 was one of the finest i ever owned and possibly the cleanest. i finally go tired dealing with tire kickers so i sold it way below $50k.
The forum is a great place, but in these times selling a car can bring out the worst. I am in the car biz so I can tell you it's not just here. As a percentage, there are fewer buyers and way more tire-kickers and bottom feeders.

Bring $ into the conversation and things get ugly. Martin Bishop's thread got decimated by BS over what? That was a disgrace.

Thanks to all the good RL'ers who share the knowledge and enthusiasm.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold a car here, a nice car, and got destroyed in a 26 page thread afterwards. Because the buyer drove it home in a thunderstorm and the carpet got wet.

Never again.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn I remember that thread when you first told us about it! If I remember correctly it was a cross between buyers remorse, failing to inspect the car himself (or have a friend look at it), getting a PPI done that didn't quite represent the car as he thought, and then chose to trash you here to make himself feel better. What a retard.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Good thread. In defense of Rennlist, it's not just RL. ANY public automotive forum is like this, especially when something's for sale. Some are worse than others.

Lotus-talk had 2 guys on there that would destroy every for-sale thread, and they were later exposed to be wholesalers driving the market down and frustrating the sellers on the forum to the point that they could take advantage of them.

That being said....I'm going to do some shameless promotion here. This is a good opportunity for some of you guys selling cars, that are tired of the tire-kickers, and sick of the BS, to let us deal with it. I've sold a lot of RLister's cars for them, and in a case like Martin's, I would deal with the bank and the payoff and "escrow" the whole transaction so that the buyer didn't have to worry about that.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a bad time to sell anything, for sure. A local P-car dealers has had the same cars on the lot since last January.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

+1 Pete - you nailed it.

Like you, what I've really noticed here on RL is the GT3 owners and ex-owners are a great bunch of folks. Always willing to share experiences and lend a hand. Tons of camaraderie without the constant BS you see elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Another +1 Pete. I can't imagine how many mistakes I would have made without the forum to guide me.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I think we all know the problem is the type of "media" in which we are communicating, not the forum.

It is so easy to make improper and unfounded comments when one is basically anonymous and not in direct "face to face" contact with the audience. A new place to bully people.

Selling a Porsche on the Rennlist does bring a lot of mean and pointless remarks.
Totally agreed. Because I've met a lot of people (Dell, Rob, Martin, Omar, Rad, Adam, Paul, Chuck Price and many other local folks) from GT3 forums in person, dumb confrontations or improper comments are never easy to make. If I'm just an anonymous user on RL, it'll be a lot different story. Oh yea, good thread, Pete.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
+1 Pete - you nailed it.

Like you, what I've really noticed here on RL is the GT3 owners and ex-owners are a great bunch of folks. Always willing to share experiences and lend a hand. Tons of camaraderie without the constant BS you see elsewhere.
You got it. There are no problems with the regulars.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

This is the best place, Bar None, to discuss GT3's, 964's, and 993's, and probably many other variants too. Usually well thought through, mature, educated posts, with outstanding content from folks who really care about the marque. I would hate to see Rennlist get bashed due to a few malcontents with nothing better to do that contribute inane content. If it's real, it's real and we know the difference.

Rock on Rennlist.............

Quick Reply: In defense of the 996 GT3 Forum and RL