Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In defense of the 996 GT3 Forum and RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Pete.....that is spot on with regards to this community and selling things. I have received countless items from other GT3 forum members that many times were shipped out without payment first and just trusted me to drop a check in the mail. I've done the same to many others. I have also got many things gratis and shipped out at items at my expense totally gratis. Heck, I just got a GT3 splitter from another member for my spec boxster and he would NOT let me pay him for it. I truly believe that this community is here to help each other and I am very proud that for as long as I have been on this board, this GT3 forum is the only one that I have never notice go down a dark path.

Ever take a look at the racing and DE forum lately??? That place is a playground fight daily with all the same characters fighting and comparing the size (or lack thereof) of the "ego"

A real sham b/c there is some great info over there but just gets wasted b/c so many are tired of the drivel.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:55 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Pete.....that is spot on with regards to this community and selling things. I have received countless items from other GT3 forum members that many times were shipped out without payment first and just trusted me to drop a check in the mail. I've done the same to many others. I have also got many things gratis and shipped out at items at my expense totally gratis. Heck, I just got a GT3 splitter from another member for my spec boxster and he would NOT let me pay him for it. I truly believe that this community is here to help each other and I am very proud that for as long as I have been on this board, this GT3 forum is the only one that I have never notice go down a dark path.

Ever take a look at the racing and DE forum lately??? That place is a playground fight daily with all the same characters fighting and comparing the size (or lack thereof) of the "ego"

A real sham b/c there is some great info over there but just gets wasted b/c so many are tired of the drivel.
+1

Everything I have sold on Rennlist has had the following terms. I will ship and you pay me if you are happy. If not happy then you pay return shipping. 3 sets of wheels, complete 996GT3 PCCB setup plus misc. small parts. Never had a return or been stiffed.

Peter
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I think we all know the problem is the type of "media" in which we are communicating, not the forum.

It is so easy to make improper and unfounded comments when one is basically anonymous and not in direct "face to face" contact with the audience. A new place to bully people.

Selling a Porsche on the Rennlist does bring a lot of mean and pointless remarks.
Well Said!
Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Heck, I just got a GT3 splitter from another member for my spec boxster and he would NOT let me pay him for it..
What what what you got a spec Box??? I thought no more racing for you!!! Welcome back to the dard side
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I only had one issue where a set of wheels I bought from a RL member didn't have the rights of ownership from the seller. I took a loss, and after 2 years, I'm still trying to get my money back from this member. Fortunately, two other RL members helped on the legal proceedings against this seller, and I didn't have to put more money on the lawsuit.

Other than this one operation, everything else has been fine, sometimes getting stuff shipped before I paid, other times shipping stuff before getting paid, and anything in between.

Selling cars in RL is another matter. I sold my GT3 and GT3 RS through RL. Emails/PM/phone calls were anywhere from nice to nasty. Lots of silly questions. I prefer to set a lower price than market, and not deal with the excessive number of wannabe-cant-afford buyers with silly questions. A highly detailed ad is very helpful.

With both cars I got higher offers to dump an already closed deal, and with both cars I had the chance to choose the buyer, which I always prefer to be a person with similar interests for cars as mine. The RS got 26 people interested and 3 buyers with money on hand ready to pull the trigger.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
apochiraju
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a great experience with David Hollistor when I bought Peter's (85Gold) old GT3. There were some issues but you should expect that from a used car. As long as the seller put his best effort in describing the car, took all the measures to make sure that all known issues were fixed or disclosed, what more can you expect. Dell also vouched for the shop that checked the car and all was good.
After driving 700 miles (500 miles driving from NC to NJ), I had a check engine and it seems the catalytic convertor may be shot based on the error codes.
Now technically, even though it has been only 700 miles, hey its still a machine, and the PPI and all other tests that were done to satisfy me will not expose every bit of the car. As a buyer, you cant open every single component in the car to find issues, thats why its a used car. If we are that ****, we shud buy a CPOed car or a new one period.
I have no complaints, even though it hurts to spend mucho dollero after a big purchase. All in all, I can still say it was a very good experience, and I wouldnt have bought the car if Dell and Peter didnt vouch for the seller and the car.

And if any of you guys have your cats lying around let me know.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by apochiraju
I had a great experience with David Hollistor when I bought Peter's (85Gold) old GT3. There were some issues but you should expect that from a used car. As long as the seller put his best effort in describing the car, took all the measures to make sure that all known issues were fixed or disclosed, what more can you expect. Dell also vouched for the shop that checked the car and all was good.
After driving 700 miles (500 miles driving from NC to NJ), I had a check engine and it seems the catalytic convertor may be shot based on the error codes.
Now technically, even though it has been only 700 miles, hey its still a machine, and the PPI and all other tests that were done to satisfy me will not expose every bit of the car. As a buyer, you cant open every single component in the car to find issues, thats why its a used car. If we are that ****, we shud buy a CPOed car or a new one period.
I have no complaints, even though it hurts to spend mucho dollero after a big purchase. All in all, I can still say it was a very good experience, and I wouldnt have bought the car if Dell and Peter didnt vouch for the seller and the car.

And if any of you guys have your cats lying around let me know.
Bad Cats may very well be covered under the extended EPA mandated emissions warranty. I was talking to the people from 3G @ VIR NASA event and David spent a ton of money on the car before he sold it to you to make sure it was right.

Peter
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 85Gold
David spent a ton of money on the car before he sold it to you to make sure it was right.

Peter
That's an understatement.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 AM
apochiraju
Instructor

I know, although he took out some goodies like the motons (slurp). I wish It had them. What are those Brand new guys? Are they the ones with remote reservoirs?

I'm following up with Porsche, they said that need previous service records and also needed the exhaust to be stock. I have to see what they'll say with the mufflers off.

Also have some clutch, or release bearing issue. Hope it's nothing major, but once that's done it will b solid. I'm putting back the cage and putting my old race seats and harness back in. With my karting, it's been pretty hectic. I wish to hit the track a couple of times this year, when karting events are not gong on. Also have a shifter project going on, will have a big smile once that's done, I can hit some of the road courses, so much fun making our cars look like snails in turns.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Juha and I sold ours cars to each other, having met on the RL. I'd say we are both glad the RL was available to allow us to get together, read each other's posts over the years to get a feeling for the other person and their care of the car, and other interests.
What a great place!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

I know, although he took out some goodies like the motons (slurp). I wish It had them. What are those Brand new guys? Are they the ones with remote reservoirs?

I'm following up with Porsche, they said that need previous service records and also needed the exhaust to be stock. I have to see what they'll say with the mufflers off.

Also have some clutch, or release bearing issue. Hope it's nothing major, but once that's done it will b solid. I'm putting back the cage and putting my old race seats and harness back in. With my karting, it's been pretty hectic. I wish to hit the track a couple of times this year, when karting events are not gong on. Also have a shifter project going on, will have a big smile once that's done, I can hit some of the road courses, so much fun making our cars look like snails in turns.
I would talk to David about the clutch as it is supposed to be brand new. Put the stock mufflers on. Car had annual service @ Porsche of Melbourne, FL. and I did oil changes in between as needed. I don't buy the high miles Porsche allows between changes. The car had the Moton Club Sports with 550/700# springs. If I was doing it today I would look into the new Moton DA without the remote canisters.

Peter
Old 08-08-2009, 10:06 PM
apochiraju
Instructor

Thanks bud. Wrt to clutch, im hearing a rattling noise from the clutch area, Greg from 3g thinks it's probably the throw out bearing. I hear the flywheel rattle when in gear. I hear that when I'm either not giving gas, very little gas or letting go off the gas slowly. He's hooked me up with his contacting CT to diagonize the problem. Greg's a great guy, very helpful and upfront.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

. Greg's a great guy, very helpful and upfront.
That's an understatement. I have been with Greg for a very long time and has been the only person I trust with my life on the track.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure that being a member of RL automatically 'pre-qualifies' someone as a honest person for buying and selling products. That being said, I do appreciate this forum as a former owner of 2 996 GT3s, which were great cars. I am irregular, but that has little to do with this forum - I like to listen and learn.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This forum has been a huge resource to me. I got help when I was shopping for my GT3, all my questions answered, and a warm welcome once I bought it. I purchased my Cup seats on RL, and am keeping my eyes open for the right set of rims.

You guys are great!

Quick Reply: In defense of the 996 GT3 Forum and RL