Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improve Balky 2-3 Shift in High G Corners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:00 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG13
redcar1 races Ferrari's, he's no novice guys
What does that have to do with anything? Nobody has questioned his abilities nor did they assume a specific level. He stated a problem and he has been given very good feedback.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Calm down guys. No need to get your panties in wad over something that can be done even though it is bad mojo around the paddock to think about shifting in a turn. We dont' know enough information about where this guy is driving and what his experience is. Yes this can be done and yes it can be faster.

At Watkins Glen this past weekend it was worth .2 of a second to use 3rd instead of 4th at one spot. This was as I was entering the Laces,(long sweeping downhill left hand turn). 4th gear would carry lots of speed in and the car would come out nicely. I wasn't slow coming out and the engine was still in the upper RPM range (6500 at exit). I could use 4th all the way to the Toe of the boot. But according to the data if I downshifted to 3rd and used it to pull out of the turn I would be .2 faster down the short straight. So what this meant was I would have to enter the turn in 4th to keep from overslowing the car, downshift to 3rd about 50ft before the apex, apply full throttle just at apex and then up shift to 4th before track out.

Lots of shifting in one turn and I am glad I didn't ask you guys about it. You would have blasted me for this and I would have been that .2 seconds slower every lap. Remember keep an open mind on some of this stuff. Driving is not rocket science and how things are done to be fast are not set in stone. Different techniques work for different people and can be equally as fast.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
What does that have to do with anything? Nobody has questioned his abilities nor did they assume a specific level. He stated a problem and he has been given very good feedback.
Actually, the FCar I race most often has a girly paddle shifter, which makes mid-corner shifting almost effortless.

While mid-corner shifting is not ideal, there are plenty of corners that beg for it, especially with certain gear ratios.

It sounds like solid mounts would be too extreme for this car, might not really help, and I've already done what can be done.

I may investigate the GM Friction modifier.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Calm down guys. No need to get your panties in wad over something that can be done even though it is bad mojo around the paddock to think about shifting in a turn.

I am glad I didn't ask you guys about it. You would have blasted me for this and I would have been that .2 seconds slower every lap.
Nobody blasted him Seth and nobody would have blasted you. Besides, our livelihood doesn't count on being .2 seconds faster a lap. Just offered some help and I think the input everybody gave was good (and general). Besides, his rear engine 911 is DRASTICALLY different than your race prepped bimmer.

Do I shift in a turn? Absolutely I have. I had to shift between 1 and 2 all the time at VIR or I would be banging off the limiter. It just depends on where you are in the turn, your ability to control the weight, etc, etc, etc..

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think seth has a GT3 irrc.

In a race Or (TT) it's more drastic to miss a shift then to wait that hundredth of a sec (or whatever) to find third smoothly. In a turn, as Seth says you gotta do what you gotta do.

My coach tells me to use the mechanism, that is if you go into neutral the shifter will automatically go inline to the 3-4 track when I almost went into first (!) once. I was like oh, duh.

At Streets of Willow (fuN little track) in one turn with the stock gears you're bouncing off the rev limiter in 2nd and lugging in third so i shift before the apex and it actually turns the *** of the car nicely giving me a straight shot out of the turn.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by va122
I think seth has a GT3 irrc.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 459 Posts

2nd to 3rd balky shifts are not just a Porsche problem. My T3 S2000 has the same problem 2 to 3 and it doesn't have the torque to go through in a higher gear. I find that if I slow down the shift it is much easier.

Peter
Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
DRG13
Pro

Dell, yes, some positive feedback was given, but come on, the condescending comments were obvious
Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Examples? I didn't see any except the good humor jab of not going fast enough. Nobody was being a dick if that's what you are getting at. Just good old humor on the GT3 board.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:11 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find if I feel comfortable shifting mid corner then I'm not going fast enough.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redcar1
Actually, the FCar I race most often has a girly paddle shifter, which makes mid-corner shifting almost effortless.

While mid-corner shifting is not ideal, there are plenty of corners that beg for it, especially with certain gear ratios.

It sounds like solid mounts would be too extreme for this car, might not really help, and I've already done what can be done.

I may investigate the GM Friction modifier.

Thanks,

Mark

Here is where some info can be found;

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showt...ction+modified

I'm working up the courage to put it in my Ferrari Boxer with the most problematic second gear I know of.
BTW what is this "paddle shifter" people talk of ?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 AM
DRG13
Pro

Congrats Mark (redcar1) on your season finishing 2nd, haven't seen you in a long time at the track, I've not been too often lately..

http://secure.ferrarichallenge.com/r...f430-challenge
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd don't buy this slow upshift make you faster angle. If you look at anyone racing cup cars with the H pattern at a high level their shifts are lightening. I looked a trace of Sean Edwards around Silverstone in a 6GT3RS vs me in a 6 GT3RS and you can see my shifts on the accel curve plain as day as a big step, his barely register... I agree its not going to buy seconds, but to suggest it is slower is madness.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This may sound obvious, but I instruct and practice:
90 degree palm for shifting 1-2
Flat palm (zero degrees facing downward for 2-3 and 3-4 shift)
and -90 degree palm for shifting 4-5 and 5-6
It does help and I'm using a 997 GT-3 shifter in my 996 GT3
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,657 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by DanH
I'd don't buy this slow upshift make you faster angle. If you look at anyone racing cup cars with the H pattern at a high level their shifts are lightening. I looked a trace of Sean Edwards around Silverstone in a 6GT3RS vs me in a 6 GT3RS and you can see my shifts on the accel curve plain as day as a big step, his barely register... I agree its not going to buy seconds, but to suggest it is slower is madness.
yes and no.
the pros are shifting fast and you will get in gear, no prob. but they dont pay for tranny rebuilds themselves and race car gear boxes are opened up very often.

if you slow down your shift just a tad (you wont go faster that way) but you will save some money for sure.

if someone was paying for my gearbox rebuild, i dont think i would even bother using the clutch much.

Quick Reply: Improve Balky 2-3 Shift in High G Corners?