Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improve Balky 2-3 Shift in High G Corners?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is to perfectly time the syncro ring bringing the next gear up to speed. If you shift too fast (hard) the syncro doesn't have time to accelerate the next gear enough and you get that "snick" that you can quite clearly feel. Friction modifiers like the GM guck or using Redline or similar NS (non-slip) gear oils reduce the slippage giving the syncro better grip which enables it to bring the next gear up to speed faster.
I have always found that you can move your hand very quickly in all aspects of the shift EXCEPT for the split second when you're pushing into the next gear. That part of the shift requires just the right amount of force...too fast and the gear can grind...too slow and it's...slow.
This section of the shift probably represents 10% of the total gear lever movement and is the part that requires just the right touch. The other 90% of the gear lever movement can be done at lightspeed with no issues.
I've always felt that those that have acquired the right touch for this section of the shift are the ones that have their gearboxes last forever. Stirling Moss used to say "treat the gear shift **** like it's an egg".
Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redcar1
Any ideas how to improve the 'balky' 2-3 shift in high G corners?
I have 997 shifter and Cup cables, which feel nice and 'gunbolty' travelling in a straight line, but in a fast turn it is very difficult to cleanly engage 3rd gear.

Is the engine/tranny moving slightly under cornering forces? Are more solid mounts advisable for a car that sees some street use?

Thanks for any advice,

Mark
just saw this, have same problem and the replies i see make no sense, the car is CLEARLY twisting somewhere under cornering G's, I have same set-up and i really need to rev match sometimes to get into 3rd I suspect that the motor and tranny are moving out of position slightly
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most of these replies are wrong, there is clearly a problem with 2nd to 3rd and the only technique which works is exagerated rev matching on the upshift, which we really should not have to do Stirling Moss would not have liked this tranny
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TRANSMISSION MOUNT- change it
Old 07-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changed to cup cables and cup shifter, a little improvment. Changed to semi-solid motor mounts - no difference. Changed to new transmission mount - no difference. Went to Mobil Delvac 75W-90 - no difference. Went to fresh Porsche Transmision fluid - no difference. Took a breath between shift - fixed.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

^what he said. Rolling starts in a race starting in 2nd is a bitch if u hamfist it quick into 3. Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Out of curiosity does the 6 cup have that issue. Since street box is slightly different ie steel synchros and 1/2 gears is separate? Mike
Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same issues in some corners and if you are positive with the shift and don;t try to rush it, it works. I see students in 6GT3's mess it up often though. When I first got mine I did as well. Coming from my Cayman S, which i could shift more quickly, I had to adjust.

Quick Reply: Improve Balky 2-3 Shift in High G Corners?