Sponsored by:

Cup Center Radiator and RS Bumper Cap Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Cup Center Radiator and RS Bumper Cap Installation

I am installing a 996 GT3 RS bumper cover and racing 996 Cup center radiator kit on a friends 996 GT3. The plan is for the radiator duct upwards out the top of the bumper cap as a racing Cup does. BTW, the 996 GT3 RS actually uses the same radiator and ducting as a normal GT3 and ducts down under the bumper cap and the holes in the top of the RS are mostly for show.

I have figured out how to install the Cup 2 piece duct kit as well as the larger tilted radiator but there is interference at the radiator side tanks and the lower part of the bumper cap.

Removing the snap in surround behind the bumper cap helps, but does not make the fit perfect. I suspect the racing Cup bumper cap is modified in this area, probably removing both the snap in surround as well as the area it attaches to (where the small rectangular holes around the bumper cap's radiator openings are) as shown below.

Does anyone have photos of the back of a Cup front bumper cap or other information to confirm this, or better yet experience with this conversion?

Comparison of the racing Cup center radiator (same as 996 Turbo) to standard GT3 center radiator (same as Boxster S) below:

Last edited by Cupcar; 07-05-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:49 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not do it myself but the surround was not removed. PM viper bob he sent me instructions for my shop.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 AM
va122
Drifting

the cup does not have the surround.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I will try to PM Viper Bob.

I also note that the radiator ducting to the side radiators interferes with the center radiator as well and that the configuration of the center radiator ducting hints that it integrates with the side radiator ducting in the Cup variant, thus I am ordering the side radiator Cup ducts.

Since the RS Bumper Cap will have to be painted anyway (despite its beautiful Carrara White finish), I am not averse to modifications to it that make the whole installation a pure hybrid of the Cup ducts and RS bumper cap.

Before you ask, the RS cap was purchased for the finish of the top grilles, a Cup cap would have been cheaper, I know.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Here are some pictures of the 2 piece center radiator duct that I found posted by another forum member. These pieces are each held to the top and bottom of the radiator by 3 self tapping screws that insert through a thin 1 cm wide stainless steel cap rail (part 14 in list shown in post below) that runs the length of the duct (not shown) that then thread into the top and bottom flanges of the center radiator shown in post above. The holes for the screws can be seen in the bottom piece along with some projections that fit into holes in the radiator flange which can also be seen in post of radiator above.

Note that the duct pictured in parts diagram below #13 is actually the stock GT3 duct, not the actual racing duct the diagram is supposed to picture (shown below)!!!

Last edited by Cupcar; 07-05-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Below is a parts list I posted years ago

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
va122
Drifting

I used the duct from the PET diagram, purchased from bob. Did not come with the bumper.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

You need to fab some hoses too, not a big deal though. Works well,.

Quick Reply: Cup Center Radiator and RS Bumper Cap Installation