Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT2 or GT3

Really need some help with this one. Have my eye on a couple GT3's, 996 of course. Black is preferred color, one is 11k miles at $56k, clean and unmolested and the other has seen it's fair share of track time and mods at around $53k with track goodies included. Both black cars, which I love.

On the other hand, I was snooping around ebay and found this GT2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...7%7C240%3A1308
Not sure of the history yet, but so far some paint work to the front, original panels and no bondo at all. Has "ruf" on the rear, so I'm assuming some kind of engine mods.

I really miss having a pcar to drive on the street and have been on a seemingly endless search for the "perfect" deal that I won't take a beating on when I resale. Please help me keep my sanity.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You know my choice Rog
Old 06-20-2009, 04:24 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 996 GT2 owner, here's my advice: Get the GT3.

I love my 2, and I would never trade it for a 996 3, but based upon the GT2 on ebay, go for the 3. 40K miles on a GT2 is the equivalent of 150K on a normal car. My GT2 had 1890 miles on it when I bought it as a 6+ year old car. I wouldn't touch a GT2 with over 10K miles unless you have a scientific knowledge of it's history. For example, I would be Very wary of the Ruf badge. Could be a fake, or a wannabe, or a car that's been fried for 40K miles (i.e. custom passport).

I would go for the non-tracked 3 at the prices you are quoting.

Take a look at this:

http://www.sharkwerks.com/media/maga..._2008&images=8
It's mainly a 997 article but there are comments about the 996 GT3 you may be interested in.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LVDell
You know my choice Rog
Hopefully it will be ready when I get to VIR next week so I can make a decision.

Originally Posted by MTHEORY

I love my 2, and I would never trade it for a 996 3, but based upon the GT2 on ebay, go for the 3. 40K miles on a GT2 is the equivalent of 150K on a normal car. My GT2 had 1890 miles on it when I bought it as a 6+ year old car. I wouldn't touch a GT2 with over 10K miles unless you have a scientific knowledge of it's history. For example, I would be Very wary of the Ruf badge. Could be a fake, or a wannabe, or a car that's been fried for 40K miles (i.e. custom passport).

Take a look at this:

It's mainly a 997 article but there are comments about the 996 GT3 you may be interested in.
Couldn't pull the link. I can get a service history ran on it to see more about the 2. 40k is a lot on a GT2 from others I've seen. Ruf badge does have me wondering. Of all the people on RL, I figured someone here would know about the car. How many miles have you put on your 2? Experience?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I talked to him this past week and he said it will be there on Sunday of the club race. Hopefully, I can make it up for a day anyway to see everybody. Damn I wish I was racing!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LVDell
I talked to him this past week and he said it will be there on Sunday of the club race. Hopefully, I can make it up for a day anyway to see everybody. Damn I wish I was racing!!!!!!!
Cool. Thanks Dell. Hopefully see you there....and at the next race with a spec boxster!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I went through the same exact decision, except i had a brand new 997 GT3 on order, and then my RUF R-GT2 came up for sale, and well, I snatched it up..

IMO, Mtheory hit the nail on the head with that car in regards to it's possible history.. I wouldn't be worried about miles (IF you find out it's complete history and know the driver), I bought mine with like 15-16k, I now have just over 30k on it, and it's been BULLETPROOF, and maintained so damn well, it's immaculate and yes I drive it!

The GT3 is probably more fun, in regards to the capability and performance you can extract out of it consistently.. The GT2 is very hard to get fast in, it's such a different learning curve, but once you do and have it dialed in nicely, the possibility is endless and all upon the driver, not the car. It's a serious car, and i'm loving the hell out of it more and more each event with the comfort level I have grown inside of it.. GT2 must have some mods too IMO.. Suspension goodies, LWFW, tune and exhaust/GT3 seats.. Adds that much wanted soul to the car, tough decision as I said, sometimes I wish I had a GT3 as well as I would probably be faster in it, as the GT2 can be TOO FAST at certain points , depends which track and if you are tracking it at all!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Take a look at this:

I don't see why 40k on a GT2 would be the end of the world. You make it seem like its a ticking time bomb. We're talking about a Porsche here - not Italian trash.

Keep in mind that extremely low mileage cars probably need a lot of maintenance to get up to speed. Wear on some components is not only mileage related, but also age related.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Serge944
I don't see why 40k on a GT2 would be the end of the world. You make it seem like its a ticking time bomb. We're talking about a Porsche here - not Italian trash.

Keep in mind that extremely low mileage cars probably need a lot of maintenance to get up to speed. Wear on some components is not only mileage related, but also age related.
I have no doubt that a well maintained GT2 can last forever. My point is that during my research before buying my car, I spoke with many people who know a lot more than me. Techs, club drivers, exotic car dealers, very wealthy owners of car collections, etc. For purposes of desirability within the buy and sell world of exotic/high end cars, any car that has over 30K miles and is less than 10 years old is considered "used up". It may not make sense, but that's what I found out when I went shopping. I guess my point is why buy a GT2 with 40K miles when there are still many available with less than 5K?

As for maintenance, MY car had 1900 miles and all I did was change out the fluids. I've been driving it fine ever since.

I will disagree with your "Italian trash" comment. Fair enough, 20 years ago (Maybe 15), Ferrari was making high maintenance wallet killers, but as far as I'm concerned, the current crop of Ferrari engines and cars are the pinnacle of automotive engineering. In fact, I would dare say that Porsche and it's 6 cylinder fixation is not even in the same league. For example, my GT2 had an MSRP of 189K. I bought it barely used for less than 90, and they only brought a total of 90 to the US in 2003! On the other hand, how come Ferrari's get more expensive as the years go by?

It's not that I'm trying to trash Porsche, but when it comes to cars I'm a realist.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no doubt that a well maintained GT2 can last forever. My point is that during my research before buying my car, I spoke with many people who know a lot more than me. Techs, club drivers, exotic car dealers, very wealthy owners of car collections, etc. For purposes of desirability within the buy and sell world of exotic/high end cars, any car that has over 30K miles and is less than 10 years old is considered "used up". It may not make sense, but that's what I found out when I went shopping. I guess my point is why buy a GT2 with 40K miles when there are still many available with less than 5K?

As for maintenance, MY car had 1900 miles and all I did was change out the fluids. I've been driving it fine ever since.

I will disagree with your "Italian trash" comment. Fair enough, 20 years ago (Maybe 15), Ferrari was making high maintenance wallet killers, but as far as I'm concerned, the current crop of Ferrari engines and cars are the pinnacle of automotive engineering. In fact, I would dare say that Porsche and it's 6 cylinder fixation is not even in the same league. For example, my GT2 had an MSRP of 189K. I bought it barely used for less than 90, and they only brought a total of 90 to the US in 2003! On the other hand, how come Ferrari's get more expensive as the years go by?

It's not that I'm trying to trash Porsche, but when it comes to cars I'm a realist.
I mean if you want to compare a GT2's loss in value, compare it to the 360? They are going for far less depreciation wise, how about F430's in the 130's and spiders in the 150's? No ferrari is holding value like that unless it's an Enzo or some of the rare antiques, even the F50 and F40 dropped!

If we want to get technical with motors, BMW's V12 in the McLaren F1, their V10, the I6 E46 Motor, all won awards Hope you are enjoying your 2
Old 06-21-2009, 03:58 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funny thing is that some people have very low opinions on Ferraris' that it begs the question, why is there a continued waiting list on new cars? And if you find a new car they are still asking for list plus? Strange, even in this economy.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I mean if you want to compare a GT2's loss in value, compare it to the 360? They are going for far less depreciation wise, how about F430's in the 130's and spiders in the 150's? No ferrari is holding value like that unless it's an Enzo or some of the rare antiques, even the F50 and F40 dropped!

If we want to get technical with motors, BMW's V12 in the McLaren F1, their V10, the I6 E46 Motor, all won awards Hope you are enjoying your 2
You are right, BMW does win a bunch of engine awards. I've sold my M Coupe, which became a casualty of the GT2's immensity. My 7 is a work of engineering art, until one of the 130 computers which run the car goes bad.

I am really enjoying the GT2. After 6 months, I recognize its limitations (which are few), and can't wait for the moments when the weather, traffic, obligation, and time factors come together so I can terrorize the neighborhood. I'm up to 4700 miles so far and plan to change the oil (myself) this week.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:47 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Hopefully it will be ready when I get to VIR next week so I can make a decision.

Couldn't pull the link. I can get a service history ran on it to see more about the 2. 40k is a lot on a GT2 from others I've seen. Ruf badge does have me wondering. Of all the people on RL, I figured someone here would know about the car. How many miles have you put on your 2? Experience?
I've put 3000 miles on the car in 6 months. It's a privilege to own and drive. The engine feels like a 6 cylinder swiss watch. It is perfection. After my UMW flash the car is so powerful it will fish tail at 80 when you punch it. it's just awesome.

Try this:
Old 06-21-2009, 04:00 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Really need some help with this one. Have my eye on a couple GT3's, 996 of course. Black is preferred color, one is 11k miles at $56k, clean and unmolested and the other has seen it's fair share of track time and mods at around $53k with track goodies included. Both black cars, which I love.

On the other hand, I was snooping around ebay and found this GT2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...7%7C240%3A1308
Not sure of the history yet, but so far some paint work to the front, original panels and no bondo at all. Has "ruf" on the rear, so I'm assuming some kind of engine mods.

I really miss having a pcar to drive on the street and have been on a seemingly endless search for the "perfect" deal that I won't take a beating on when I resale. Please help me keep my sanity.
Either GT3 an 05 that has grey CCW wheels. It may be my old car.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2009, 04:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

the black example on ebay is a killer looking gt2 for a nice price.

another example (white however) that has great history and full clubsport package

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160340378462

personally, for a DD i would spend 50k on a 2005 997 C2S (or C4S)

Quick Reply: GT2 or GT3