Sponsored by:

GT2 or GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTHEORY
You are right, BMW does win a bunch of engine awards. I've sold my M Coupe, which became a casualty of the GT2's immensity. My 7 is a work of engineering art, until one of the 130 computers which run the car goes bad.

I am really enjoying the GT2. After 6 months, I recognize its limitations (which are few), and can't wait for the moments when the weather, traffic, obligation, and time factors come together so I can terrorize the neighborhood. I'm up to 4700 miles so far and plan to change the oil (myself) this week.
Nice, continue driving it, it gets better and better

Originally Posted by ZBB0730 View Post
Hopefully it will be ready when I get to VIR next week so I can make a decision.

ZBB I'll be there next weekend too, I would love to take you out in my GT2, hell I may even let you drive it if it can help you with your decision
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3

Hopefully it will be ready when I get to VIR next week so I can make a decision.

ZBB I'll be there next weekend too, I would love to take you out in my GT2, hell I may even let you drive it if it can help you with your decision
ZBB,

Don't drive it GT2, you will not go back to the GT3.

Peter
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
ZBB,

Don't drive it GT2, you will not go back to the GT3.

Peter
not if its modified the gt3 will feel blah.... all depends what you want to do with it.. they can be a handful I can promise that!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3

Cool thanks! See you there!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks so much guys. You all bring up some really good points. But, I have the say the ruf badge on the rear has me worried. I had the deal at $65, but I backed off of it today. It really is a beautiful car though. Perhaps I will ask my local deal to run the VIN and see what he comes up with, if it is still available.

Mainly, I'm looking for a car that is 90 percent street and 10 percent track. Still have the race car for serious track days. But, on occasion, it is really nice to be able to drive a p car to the track, spend a day driving and then drive home. It's a nice change to driving the race car all the time...unloading, fueling, reloading, etc.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Modoc
Instructor

Rog,
That blk/orange RS still stirs me. I came so close to trading my 05 white for one in Indy back when they first came out . The 50k over msrp ran me off
Joe
Old 06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2 or 3

"he GT3 is probably more fun, in regards to the capability and performance you can extract out of it consistently.. The GT2 is very hard to get fast in, it's such a different learning curve, but once you do and have it dialed in nicely, the possibility is endless and all upon the driver, not the car. It's a serious car, and i'm loving the hell out of it more and more each event with the comfort level I have grown inside of it.. GT2 must have some mods too IMO.. Suspension goodies, LWFW, tune and exhaust/GT3 seats.. Adds that much wanted soul to the car, tough decision as I said, sometimes I wish I had a GT3 as well as I would probably be faster in it, as the GT2 can be TOO FAST at certain points , depends which track and if you are tracking it at all!
I went from an 05 GT3 (modded with lwfw and close ratio gears/RS seats) to my current 03 GT2(also modded/w approx 10k miles and growing). I agree with the above sentiments as the GT3 had more easily usable/accessable characteristics. The fun with the 2 came at higher speed levels and required a different skillset. However, once you've learned to harness the cars capabilities, it is more rewarding ergo my selection. Love my 2 but also appreciated the 3 and miss it. I really need both since they have such different personalities. I only wish I possessed the skills to convince my wife... If you've spent time with well sorted versions of both cars and could only have one, you'll end up missing the other-at least in my case.

Last edited by NelsonF; 06-23-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ring Ruf and ask about the car. They will have a record if they modded it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DanH
Ring Ruf and ask about the car. They will have a record if they modded it.
That's a good point.
Give Ruf the VIN. That'll clear up if it has any mods real quick.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it have a RUF vin? call them.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Here's what I'm talking about:

I don't know what the reserve is, but if it's less than 95K, it's the best deal in the country. Only 24 of these 2004's were brought into the States.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1607
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's what I'm talking about:

I don't know what the reserve is, but if it's less than 95K, it's the best deal in the country. Only 24 of these 2004's were brought into the States.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1607
Now that's a nice ride!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 AM
96 993
Advanced

My '03 GT2 has over 30,000 miles on it. Not one issue. My brother's '05 GT3 has over 70,000 miles. No issues. These cars are meant to be driven. They are both great cars. As everyone has said, "different from each other." The 3 revs its brains out. The 2 has endless torque and unbelievable acceleration. I was going to buy a new 997 GT3, but then I drove my 2. Figured if I didn't like it, I'd change. Can't really conceive of switching now. One other thing, I didn't buy the car as an investment; I bought it because it so absolutely wonderful to drive. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, look at it, or even think about it.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96 993
My '03 GT2 has over 30,000 miles on it. Not one issue. My brother's '05 GT3 has over 70,000 miles. No issues. These cars are meant to be driven. They are both great cars. As everyone has said, "different from each other." The 3 revs its brains out. The 2 has endless torque and unbelievable acceleration. I was going to buy a new 997 GT3, but then I drove my 2. Figured if I didn't like it, I'd change. Can't really conceive of switching now. One other thing, I didn't buy the car as an investment; I bought it because it so absolutely wonderful to drive. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, look at it, or even think about it.
Good post. I feel exactly the same way re: my 2. I heard a Ferrari guy once say that not driving your car so as not to put miles on it is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she's ready for her next boyfriend.

My point regarding low milage was only with respect to the business of selling exotic, high end cars. Low milage, even more than engine repairs or body work, has the greatest effect on sale price. (At least that's what this Barrett-Jackson rep told me).
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
96 993
Advanced

I feel exactly the same way re: my 2. I heard a Ferrari guy once say that not driving your car so as not to put miles on it is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she's ready for her next boyfriend.

My point regarding low milage was only with respect to the business of selling exotic, high end cars. Low milage, even more than engine repairs or body work, has the greatest effect on sale price. (At least that's what this Barrett-Jackson rep told me).
I'm sure the Barrett-Jackson guy knows his stuff. It's just really nice to see people use the vehicles for what they were intended. I'm glad you are. What's really great is seeing Alain de Cadenet drive the wheels off the exotics on Victory by Design.

Oh, the Ferrari guy's comment is right on.

Quick Reply: GT2 or GT3