Tracking GiroDisc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Andy (Portland, OR)
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracking GiroDisc

So, who's tracked the GiroDisc rotors?

Impressions? (Feel, fade, longevity, etc.)

Andy
Old 05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy (Portland, OR)
So, who's tracked the GiroDisc rotors?

Impressions? (Feel, fade, longevity, etc.)

Andy
+1
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BGB motorsports team used the gyros in Grand Am last season with great success. Too bad the team disbanded this year

IRRC They are made by Rotora which is a fantastic manufacturer, I used them in the BMW world for years.

Longevity should be similar to PFCs. Although i haven't verified that myself yet...My PFCs seem to be lasting forever.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So far pretty damn good results - I've 2 customers who are father/son combinations who run their Cayman S all day at every DE, and their previous problems of heat and wear are now no longer an issue.

Plus, some pretty high profile track guys here on Rennlist bought a number of sets from me @ Rennstore, we will see the absolute truth from their feedback -
Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 AM
brucegre
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed them tonight on my GT3, on track tomorrow for the first time. They are a beautiful unit (I'm replacing Brembo floaters with them) and I hope they perform as well as they look.

Thanks to Craig for hooking me up with these, I'll be back to report in a few days.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

VA112

PFCs lasting forever...You aren't braking hard enough ;-)

When I started with them, I used PFC01s, and the PFC rotors started to crack pretty badly. (Still no problem with the ATE, though) I haven't had a problem with the DeMans and the PFC 06s. The 06s don't bite as well, but moving back my initial braking point is easy enough.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Ideally old pads with new rotors is best - and give them a bed-in on street and then on track too -
Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

What's worse for ne rotors- riding your brakes or late braking? Also what causes brake fluid to boil quicker -riding brakes or late braking? Regards mike
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

So hard to answer the question. Depends ;-)

I've had better results with less 'foot on the pedal time' technique, but it really ..... depends.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:39 AM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
VA112

PFCs lasting forever...You aren't braking hard enough ;-)

When I started with them, I used PFC01s, and the PFC rotors started to crack pretty badly. (Still no problem with the ATE, though) I haven't had a problem with the DeMans and the PFC 06s. The 06s don't bite as well, but moving back my initial braking point is easy enough.
I don't brake much at all

Seriously, i used to late brake hard and ate up rotors in a couple track days, then Stanton was driving my car and barely braked at all and when he did he used his big toe only (he even takes off his shoes! no joke) and was like a minute faster. He told me brakes are to turn the car not slow the car. A year later I figured that out and now I brake spec miata style.

Oh I use 97s
Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 AM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
What's worse for ne rotors- riding your brakes or late braking? Also what causes brake fluid to boil quicker -riding brakes or late braking? Regards mike
It certainly depends. But hard braking increased the temps very quickly leading to boiling. When i didn't know how to brake I would boil every time i went to Laguna, not to mention glazing my pads.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:47 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
The BGB motorsports team used the gyros in Grand Am last season with great success. Too bad the team disbanded this year

IRRC They are made by Rotora which is a fantastic manufacturer, I used them in the BMW world for years.

Longevity should be similar to PFCs. Although i haven't verified that myself yet...My PFCs seem to be lasting forever.
Disbanded? I actually had to look that one up.

We've run the Girodisc since 2007. They're fantastic. They're lighter, of larger diameter per the Koni Challenge GS Porsche rules and have the perfect cost/life ratio for our type of racing. They’ve lasted multiple race weekends and test days and they're not treated nicely by any means. You will give up a bit of longevity when you go to more aggressive pads than the Pagid RS19s and 29s that all Koni Porsches run but we're somewhat limited in the cooling we can add to these cars. This is most likely the contributing factor. I recommend these to anyone running OEM cross drilled rotors. You get hardware, spacers for your uprights to distance the caliper from the upright, and a solid product that is most definitely worth it when it costs twice as much because longevity is increased to about 4 times over the stock drilled rotors from Porsche. For a long time they were the only person that made a bigger rear rotor for the car. Compare to comparable motorsports rotors, they’re just as adequate at fractions of the cost. Okay…enough pimping out of the Girodisc.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:50 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

In-use results are coming in now, looks quite good with feedback from hard track usage.

Only issue is - and it isn't really an 'issue' - it is by far preferable to use either old pads or old rotors if the other component is new ---- ie, avoid using 'new-on-new'.

**I am running a special now where shipping is FREE ON GIRODISC setps. Saves more than a little on a setup where shipping weight can from 51 to 91 punds!**

E-mail or call for details, pictures, specifications, or whatever you need -
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
va122
Drifting

Sorry John ,

Sabbatical

V

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Disbanded? I actually had to look that one up.

We've run the Girodisc since 2007. They're fantastic. They're lighter, of larger diameter per the Koni Challenge GS Porsche rules and have the perfect cost/life ratio for our type of racing. They’ve lasted multiple race weekends and test days and they're not treated nicely by any means. You will give up a bit of longevity when you go to more aggressive pads than the Pagid RS19s and 29s that all Koni Porsches run but we're somewhat limited in the cooling we can add to these cars. This is most likely the contributing factor. I recommend these to anyone running OEM cross drilled rotors. You get hardware, spacers for your uprights to distance the caliper from the upright, and a solid product that is most definitely worth it when it costs twice as much because longevity is increased to about 4 times over the stock drilled rotors from Porsche. For a long time they were the only person that made a bigger rear rotor for the car. Compare to comparable motorsports rotors, they’re just as adequate at fractions of the cost. Okay…enough pimping out of the Girodisc.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:48 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Bruce / JSasportas - Reports?

Quick Reply: Tracking GiroDisc