CD Changer in GT3???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts
Default CD Changer in GT3???

Still on the hunt for an audio upgrade for my GT3. I tracked my GT3 for a couple of years, but am off the track now due to injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident. The GT3 has been and will remain a street car. I've used it on a couple of longer trips, and would like to expand the audio options I have in it.

The car now has the CDR-23 AM/FM/CD player installed. I'd like to keep things as stock as possible. I'm thinking about:
1. CD changer - I've consulted a couple of local dealers. One says I need a CDC-3, the other says a CDC-4. Both say I need a cable of some sort and brackets. One says installation will take 3 hours, the other 1 hour. I'm pretty certain it's the CDC-4, MOST. Anyone know if the cable to hook up the changer is already there? Is an amp needed? If so, is there one in place?
2. XM radio - this will require a new radio, or an aftermarket unit that I could hide in the glovebox, I guess.
3. Connectivity to MP3 player - I do not have an iPod. I have a Creative Zen Vision:M. I tried the Belkin FM modulator connection, but it doesn't work very well. Anyone try the Scosche FM-MOD02? Is this a DIY install?

I'm not looking for a hi-fi solution. I'm an older guy, retired from the military where too much time in noisy aircraft and under artillery fire has left my hearing a little impaired. Besides, the GT3 is too noisy for a high-end solution, IMO.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

suggest you call Rod at Car Audio Innovations. I got a wire harness adapter from him to install a Kenwood HU that allowed easy ipod control. It would work for other MP3 players. He does lots of Porsches. He is in your neck of the woods.. Roseville CA, 800.892.6430. He is very helpful. Kyle
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It should be the CDC-4 according to this:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ode=996ttaudio

CD Changer Porsche CDC-4 (Cars made from 08/2002 or newer)
This is the newer style changer, holding up to 6 CDs. Only compatible with the MOST Bus System and the CDR23 CD Player, and therefore, will only fit cars made after 8/02.

NOTE: Additional harness is required for 2003-04 cars, and is not included. Contact us with your VIN number for more information.

Sorry, I don't know if the wirings are there already but if it said additional harness is required, my guess is no. So the dealer will have to run the wires. Unless you plan on changing the factory speakers or adding a subwoofer (which doesn't sound like what you want), you do not need an additonal amp. The factory amp (probably built in the headunit) is all you need.

However, if you plan on adding XM and/or aux input, and you still want a changer. I suggest you get an aftermarket headunit and get it over with. It will be much cheaper, cleaner looks and installation when all said and done. There is a good chance it will sound better too!

Something like this one - front aux input and built in bluetooth!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT74...wAll=Y&tp=5684

Or this - built in HD radio!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113HD94...wAll=Y&tp=5684

Then just add a Kenwood changer for less than $200 and you are done. Another suggestion, see if it is possible to add the changer behind the seat. I always think its a pain in the butt to change CDs in the trunk. Yes, I am old school, I have an iphone and few ipods laying around but I still listen to CDs even in the cars that have aux input
Old 03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but I really want to stay with the Plain-Jane look of the OE unit. The blue/red lights are not my cup of tea.
I tried the Belkin FM modulator, which works OK, but I need to crank up the volume of the MP3 player and the volume on the radio to hear it. Probably not a problem, but does not seem to be ideal.

Can't find it now, but in my searching around for a solution I thought I read that one of the newer Porsche radios equipped to receive satellite radio can be used in this car. Does anyone have any info on that?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mate,

Yes, the CDR-23 is a MOST unit, and there isn't any MOST optical harness in the GT3 (well, not in the UK models!)

When I first got my '3, I swapped out the '23 for a Becker Cascade (7944, iirc)...looks like stock, feels like stock, no bling (can't stand it either).

Has built in sat nav, bluetooth and with a harness, can hook up and control an iPod - I know you said you don't have one, but *if it were me* I'd look to get one and treat it not as a portable music device (you clearly get on well with the Zen) but just hook it up in the glovebox and treat as nothing more than a CD Changer....eBay one for a 2nd/3rd gen unit at worst....

I've got mine hooked up to drive the speakers directly from the internal amp, and have a pre-out harness being used to connect an active mini sub (Alpine thing, sits neatly and small-ly behind the passenger seat...it's not great but it fills in the bass that the engine noise drowns out). So, no retrofitting of optical cabling, just a very simple setup.

Right - now the not so good news. Since day 1, I've had random shutdown issues. Every time I have the phone bluetoothed, but if I were sat-navving, it needs re-inputting the destination - not good, and more to the point, Harmon/Kardon (Becker) don't seem to be able to answer it since the latest SW release. Magically, I'm the only one suffering the problems (!!)

Popular thought from the UK repair company for Becker is that the root cause is FM station related, w.r.t driving across transmitting stations. If this is the correct diagnosis, then it's unlikely to affect you over there, but thought it worthy of mention, as apart from that it does what it needs to, and does look completely stock. If you want a pic, PM me...

BTW....finally fitted the CarGraphic zorsts!....had to delay 4wks as I fell down the stairs and broke my collarbone, but have done 50miles, and theyre settling in nicely. Loving the pops and bangs on the overrun, and the cruising noise is, as you said, utterly sane...so weird, but great! Can't wait for my Brother to drive the car so I can hear it from the outside! Judging by the looks of people 200-300yds ahead of me up the road, I'm guessing it's quite "vocal"
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good info, thanks.

I find a Becker Cascade Pro 7941 and a 7944, but only on UK sites. I haven't looked at their detail yet, but will. Maybe this is a good excuse to get an iPod (and an iPhone).

Where does one buy Becker in the US?

Had to Google "zorst." I figured you were referring to the cans, or did you go for a full system? A full system would, of course, be louder. I only have the cans. I've auditioned my set for a couple of locals, who went ahead and bought them.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, sorry yes, " 'zorsts" = silencers...after your advice, I did plunge for the ETS Super Sound silencers, not the full system....that can wait for another pay cheque!

Just had a look on the Becker site - strange, no headunits listed for the US - I'm guessing this is because the station spacing for FM is different to Europe (and Japan). I know good UK Becker dealers, but wouldn't want you to find you're unable to hook up to US FM radio stations if you went to the trouble of getting one shipped over.

Out of curiosity - when you pull out the CDR-23, on the manufacturers label on the side of the chassis, it gives the Porsche part number, along with serial number, etc....does it also say yours it a Becker Model 6611 (or words to that effect)?

Another way to crack the nut, would be to source a slightly older CDR-22 (possibly called the CDR-220 in the US). I still have one that was fitted into my old C2, and into this you can fit pre-out harness to hook up an amp, as well as plug in an iPod interface (such as Dension ICE Link+)...there are no optical/MOST buses to worry about, still looks stock, works well, etc....Depending on the outcome of my Becker debacle, I could well sell it on, but for FM frequency reasons above, it's probably no use to US guys.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My '04 GT3 is also Becker CDR23/MOST. Being cheap (or rather spend on other car stuff) I installed a wired FM modulator (Schoche) behind the radio. I used the antenna power from the radio to power the modulator (with a switch I added to power the antenna when radio is needed). I brought out the iPod cable to the cubbyhole under the CD trays. It is nearly invisible, audio quality is very good (as good as it get in the GT3) and I have 25,000 songs on my iPod so I never hear the same thing twice. Total cost was about $30 and a few hours work. I can supply you a schematic if you like (I also wired up the iPod to charge while plugged in). It also works with my iPhone, with the added benefit of having your music nicely interrupted with a fade out and marimba tone when somebody calls you.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by plima
My '04 GT3 is also Becker CDR23/MOST. Being cheap (or rather spend on other car stuff) I installed a wired FM modulator (Schoche) behind the radio. I used the antenna power from the radio to power the modulator (with a switch I added to power the antenna when radio is needed). I brought out the iPod cable to the cubbyhole under the CD trays. It is nearly invisible, audio quality is very good (as good as it get in the GT3) and I have 25,000 songs on my iPod so I never hear the same thing twice. Total cost was about $30 and a few hours work. I can supply you a schematic if you like (I also wired up the iPod to charge while plugged in). It also works with my iPhone, with the added benefit of having your music nicely interrupted with a fade out and marimba tone when somebody calls you.
I'm interested in how you charge the ipod. I'm considering the same setup.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the answer for me. I'll PM you my email.

The Schoche that I find is $50, MOD02. How'd you get away with $30? Not that it matters much, but want to make sure I get the right part. (Went searching, and find the Mod01 for $21.)

Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 PM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPod/iPhone in GT3

I used the Scosche Mod-01 which you can still find on the net for ~$20. The mod-02 would work but is much more expensive. I've attached the schematic which works for iPods and iPhones.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Pioneer makes something called a Z3, which has about 15 GB of hard drive space dedicated for storage of MP3 music. The remaining 15 GB is for nav maps.

It is a larger unit that fits in the space occupied by the PCM (if you were to have one). So you would get Nav, MP3, AM, FM, blue tooth, iPOD, iPhone, and you can add XM all in one unit that fits in the dash.

To do this you must relocate the climate control module to where the CD tray is located, which is very easy to do and many have done that.

The Z3 costs about $1200 new, however, if you shop around you can find an older unit model called the Z1 for about half that price. The Z1 and the Z3 are the exact same hardware, but you can easily upgrade the software of the Z1 to make it a Z3.

Give it a look on the web and see if that better fits your needs. 15 GB can store a huge amount of music, obviously many orders of magnitude more than a CD changer.

I have known some folks to do this on their 996 cars, so ask around.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the Scosche Mod-01 which you can still find on the net for ~$20. The mod-02 would work but is much more expensive. I've attached the schematic which works for iPods and iPhones.
Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:06 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going the Scosche modulator route, but found another solution for anyone with a non-Most radio. From a Renntech msg:
I am not sure about the CDR23 but I have the CDR 220 - I have a 2001 Boxster and this was a very simple install.
1) pull out the head unit.
2)plug the adapter into the back of the head unit where you would normally connect the cd changer.
3) run the 6 foot cable to where your want to place your mp3 player.
4) enable "aux" on the head unit.
5) plug in mp3 player
6) enjoy your library.

The down side is that the head unit does not control the player just provide the access to the player and volume control for the speakers. You have to control the playback, start, stop and selection all through the mp3 player.

take a look at this website http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=730 for adapter cables. I would not recommend the fm modulator because the quality will be no better that fm radio, which is ot very good. The mp3 player quality is comparable to the cd's audio quality.

I would just see if the plug in to the CDR23 is the same as other becker radios and you woul dbe all set.

also here is another thread that did a similar thing but with and IPOD and charged the IPOD also. The discountcarstereo website above actually has the cable all made up. You don't have to do any cutting.

hope this helps. If you any more questions just ask. i was going to get a changer also but found this much more appealing, and less costly.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=24165

Quick Reply: CD Changer in GT3???