Sponsored by:

GT3 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:54 PM
ranger66
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 as a DD?

I am a lurker/future Pcar owner with some questions about the pros and cons of using a GT3 as a street car that may never see any time on the track. I would do some mountain runs, crusies and the like but I am not sure if I will get to a track. I have other cars for daily driving duites but this car will be used to commute here and there.

With all of that said would it better to get a regular 911?(C2,C4)

Thanks

RLTW
Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 113 Posts

yes
Old 12-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
yes

+1
Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Carefree
Pro

I really enjoyed my 911 twin turbo, loads of power and comfortable too!

Ranger66, welcome aboard. I was at Ft. Benning back in 83' were/are you there too?
Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
ranger66
5th Gear

Carefree I have been assigned there twice.

I will look at some 911TT's though I will have to get a older model so that I can still eat and pay the bills.(lol) So the general concensus is no to the GT3 and yes to the other models. What would I give up going with a C2S over the GT3 performance wise? I am not well versed in the different Porsche trim level's performance.

RLTW
Old 12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

On the street, you'll give up nothing. A nice alternative is a good 993.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll go broke. First, replacing all the crap you rip off. Brake ducts, front spoiler etc, Second, bottles of aspirin and chiropractors.

I can barely deal with driving to the track (4-5hrs to the closest track) with the stock suspension. I feel like there was some gnome behind my seat punching me in the kidneys.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 PM
zed996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger66
I am a lurker/future Pcar owner with some questions about the pros and cons of using a GT3 as a street car that may never see any time on the track. I would do some mountain runs, crusies and the like but I am not sure if I will get to a track. I have other cars for daily driving duites but this car will be used to commute here and there.

With all of that said would it better to get a regular 911?(C2,C4)

Thanks

RLTW
I use my GT3 for mountain runs, cruises and sometimes take it to work one day per week depending on traffic. I would vote for GT3. It will make even occasional drives worthwhile and it is likely to hold relative value better than Carrera. Driving excitement is unmatched IMO. I wouldn't choose it as a daily driver.

L
Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

Not for me.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Having run a 380-hp RX-7, and a 424 hp 993TT on the road and track, I'd recommend a 997S for the street and canyon carving over the GT3. I love the sound of my car from 6K to 8K rpm, but other than on the track, those kinds of rpm are seldom seen. As has been said many times here, buy the most car you can afford. The 996TT is a great cruiser, the 993TT is just plain sweet, but for overall performance and comfort, I'd go for a 997S.

(So, ranger66, is that for Ranger School in '66, or the 66 for command? I did Benning in '65 for jump school, and in '68 for OCS. I was deemed too smart for Ranger School so spent my time in SF! )
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a pretty harsh ride, and as said previously, 3 hours in it will beat you up, but.......It's a historic ride!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
you'll go broke. First, replacing all the crap you rip off. Brake ducts, front spoiler etc, Second, bottles of aspirin and chiropractors.

I can barely deal with driving to the track (4-5hrs to the closest track) with the stock suspension. I feel like there was some gnome behind my seat punching me in the kidneys.

I could put up with the ride, no sweat. If I was using as DD, I'd just remove the front splitter. Easy to reinstall for track days.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 AM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My '04 GT3, which I bought new in July 04 is a true dual purpose car. I have 36K miles, mostly commuting and weekend trips, but I do several track days each year. I could not be happier with either mode; it is truly an amazing car. Certainly if you only want a street car there are others to consider, but I find the precision of the GT3 unbeatable, and I love the sounds. Sure, there are softer riding cars, but none that I'd prefer.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

I've logged over 30,000 street-only miles on my GT3 in two years of ownership. This is my only car and it still looks about as new as when I got it.

Here are my observations:

If you are a dyed-in-the-wool sports car fan; get a GT3. If you want a luxury ride; get another car. After two years of ownership my only dislikes are the interior rattles and the rattling exhaust tips.

Some caution is required when entering and exiting driveways with the low front spoiler. You learn quickly, then it becomes an automagic response. Standing water that is above the lip will tear it off. They use plastic rivets to hold the lip on and the rivets are designed to pop off to protect the body of the car.

I live in Florida and due to the heavy rains, driveways and such have a steeper than normal break angle. However, I have not found that a big problem here.

Interior noise is higher than normal. I have done many long road trips and it is not something that bothers me nor my girlfriend (who is not a car-nut), but it may not be something you enjoy.

Clutch pedal is heavy. That may wear on you, but doesn't bother me. The only time I had a problem was when there was a major parking lot on I95. I spent an hour on I95 stopping and going in 1st gear and the ball of my foot was a little sore for a time.

If it rains heavily you will think that you are standing inside a metal shed. There is essentially no sound-proofing in the roof. I like it.

Radio and sound system is not a butt-kicker. I only use it on trips and to catch up on news anyway. I am more driving-centric, so having a big sound system is last on my list of priorities.

Tires are expensive. My first 4 months went through 4 tires due to nails. I switched to Kumhos for the street and have not had a single nail. The Kumhos do not as the stock tires, but are more than adequate for normal street driving. I am satisfied with those. You would do better getting different wheels and track tires if you want to track the car anyway. Kumhos seems to have at least a 50% longer life than PS2s, too.

I have only driven a 993 TT, so I can't comment on the newer cars. The 993 is a nice car, but too smooth for me. It doesn't feel like a sports car to me.

The ride of the GT3 is a little stiff, some say, but I find it more than compliant for my tastes. A few roads are rough around here, but the car is smoother than my old 993 with PSS9s set to about the middle position. I believe that the GT3 suspension is simply more modern and does a better job without feeling like it has welded struts.

I've driven this car in all kinds of weather except snow (we don't get snow down here). Wet performance is excellent. I have not had the car come unglued unexpectedly and the grip surprises me. Obviously, you should always take any standing water seriously, but I never had a feeling that there was going to be a loss of control of the vehicle.

Brakes produce a lot of dust. You will be washing your wheels weekly. The ceramic rotors solve this problem, but stock steel rotors and pads belch more dust than an ancient coal power plant. There is some squealing from time to time, too. Stopping power is excellent.

A GT3 is not always appropriate everywhere you go. I worry about leaving it parked some times, but since I am fussy about the car's cleanliness and it is unique, people seem to respect it. I have never had a problem anywhere I go with disrespect or parking dings. Zero.

Some people will follow you too close at times to get a better look. Also, it seems to bring out the worst in some pickup drivers. I get more pickup drivers trying to race me. I never give them the satisfaction of a race.

Everything else about the GT3 is the same as any 996, except the drive train. I feel sorry for everyone else. The GT3 engine and transmission is the most rewarding part of the car. Nothing else I have driven comes close.

My only wants in my car is sometimes having a convertible top. I know that would make some people cringe here, but let me explain. I would love a cab or speedster with the GT3 drivetrain and suspension for the street as a roadster. I think that would be the ultimate complimentary vehicle to my GT3. The GT3 drivetrain has a wonderful down to earth sports car feel. It is quick, somewhat noisy, raw, and gutsy. The primal elements of the GT3 drivetrain really make this car special. Obviously, a cab is not a track rat and that is why I would never give up a true GT3, but I love the realness of the GT3 platform and would have a hard time with owning-driving less.

I grew up owning sports cars since I left high school over 30 years ago. My first car was a TR-4a. There is nothing polished (by today's standards) with a TR-4. Driving is in my blood, so a GT3 as a daily driver is perfect for me. I can't speak for you or anyone else, but owning anything else is a compromise to me.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to GT3 or not?

Well put Marv, I agree with your rendition of life with the GT3. I get so much enjoyment from the car that things like touring ride quality just don't bother me. Most everything else about the car more than make up for lack of luxury interior and ride. What a powertrain!

Originally Posted by Marv
I've logged over 30,000 street-only miles on my GT3 in two years of ownership. This is my only car and it still looks about as new as when I got it.

Here are my observations:

Quick Reply: GT3 as a DD?