Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
ranger66
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. The Ranger66 is a name I made up based on my job(ranger) and a model of car I had when I joined my first web forum.(Avalanche Z66)

I will look at the other models and drive each of them to determine the best fit for me. If there are any GT3er's in the Atlanta area that wouldn't mine giving me a ride and letting me look over your car please chime in and we can meet up. I will check the regional boards as well.

RLTW
Old 01-01-2009, 04:03 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I love my 996/GT3. Can't wipe the idiot grin off my face. Driving it is a joy. I do miss the creature comforts in my 997/4S, but everything about the GT3 puts a shine to the day. Its louder. The stock stereo sucks, but I guess I never thought about it since for some reason I keep forgetting to turn it on during 5 hour drives. I can't say enough about it. I love it on the track too.

One observation. My GT3 is a DD and track car. A fantastic track car that I can still enjoy on the street. But for strictly street use, I don't think it makes as much sense.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is your toy vehicle you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Depends on the person. Mine was a daily driver for 3 years with no issues. It is rough, noisy, low, and has a hard clutch. I loved it. The more you do to the car after market it can easily become more of a challenge.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

There are any number of cars that make better daily drivers than a GT3. There are more powerful ones, more comfortable ones, more practical ones, and many that combine all the above. But there is only one GT3! Once you're infected by the GT3 virus, there is no cure. That's why GT3s have been my daily transport for the past 6 years. Just did a 800 mile trip in my RS (with bucket seats) and loved every moment.

Turbos, 997s... great cars, but they're not GT3s.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
There are any number of cars that make better daily drivers than a GT3. There are more powerful ones, more comfortable ones, more practical ones, and many that combine all the above. But there is only one GT3! Once you're infected by the GT3 virus, there is no cure. That's why GT3s have been my daily transport for the past 6 years. Just did a 800 mile trip in my RS (with bucket seats) and loved every moment.

Turbos, 997s... great cars, but they're not GT3s.
Sir! I salute you!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Jetmech
Racer

Below is my write up when I drove Cross Country last year. Im 6"4 and 230, I had no problems with comfort....but then again...I love driving.

----------------------------------

I wanted to share my experience after purchasing an 04 GT3.

I have been looking for a GT3 for some time...at least several months...was keen on a white or yellow, but after wanting for

so long, I figured, its not in the books and decided not to purchase. that same day I saw a nice black GT3 with the

modifications I wanted, roll bar and Euro sets...yea for the track. in addition, the car had sport cup tires, and an RS

wing...go figure.

I was traveling to Houston for three days and instead of flying back home to Cincinnati,oh, I decided to fly directly to

Portland a day early on friday.

I was picked up the the current owner a Mr. Andy Chenoweth, we got along from the get go. traveled to his home. did the

unvailing of the car, test drove the car, inspected everything...got the original seats and wing to the pack and ship, and

said goodbye for my travel down to Huntington Beach, CA.

Good thing I did, because on saturday it rained so hard, it was a federal disaster. I missed the rains by hours. I

traveled down to the California/Oregon border that night. On saturday at 4:30 am I started down to Orange County. at around

10:am, I was coming up on a 996 C2, very nice slate gray. The Owner Mr. Richard Tsai, held up a flyer, which I could not

read, but realized he was trying to tell me something, so we pulled over and he explained to me that the Sacramento PCA club

was holding a car show. I needed a break, and what better way than to see other cars and speak with other car buffs.

after a few hours at the show, and winning most traveled award, I headed down to Huntington beach. I spent time with my

father, and while driving around town, saw a nice 997 turbo at Shoreline Motoring. They specialize in Wheels for all sports

cars. "free plug". Got some new street wheels for the drive back to Cincinnati, since I didn't want to use up the Pilot

sport cups on the street.

I headed to Lake Havasu on friday afternoon, nice drive with no traffic. spent some time with my mother, washed the car and

started to look at the weather reports on the 40 back to Ohio. Frozen roads...rain, snow, it didn't look good. Then it

dawned on me...the US 10 is below the snow belt, and only about 230 miles extra, but conditions were clear.

I headed out on Tuesday afternoon. Made it to New Mexico that night. From New Mexico to outside Dallas the next day, and

from Dallas to Louisville, KY, where I met my friends for dinner and spent the night. the next day I headed out to

Cincinnati, only about an hour 1/2 drive...I was then thinking...hey all these miles, and not one ticket...when a minivan

passed me, I started to get on the gas, just because I knew I would be parking her for some time...snow was in the forcast in

Cincinnati. just then A Jeep Cherokee I was behind lighted up...it was a highway patrol car...WHO KNEW! The minivan got

pulled over, and I was just happy it wasn't me.

made it home, washed the car, and thanked my lucky stars that I made up safely, had a blast, and can't wait to drive her

again!!

Yes, I got up to some high speeds, only when safe...what Ive learned. if your taller than 6"3, pull out the inserts on the

Euro seats, it keeps you from having to lift up on your foot to keep the car under 120 in 6th gear.

I averaged 24.8 MPG. WOW!

You can put this car in 6th gear in low speeds and just pretend you have a fast automatic....

you have so much fun driving...pay attention to your gas gauge..with only 16 gallons....it got low very quickly.

set your MPH limit sensor to around 75. it warned me at the right times, along with my valentine Radar...which I recalled

saved my butt about 4 times.

Its fun to stop and eat at the truck stops....and pretend your a trucker.

The cup holder is not good on bumpy roads...for it spills on places that are tricky to clean...however, after about a day of

driving...i realized you can pull it out even more, for two cup holders...this puts the spills on the passenger

floor...better, but not perfect...I don't like lids on my coffee, its my problem..not Porsches.

Cruise control is a must...I didn't have it...but it would been more of a pleasure, than trying to keep the car under 100

MPH. which is just too easy. I drove a 914, 911S, 993 and now this...no comparison...a fun and wicked car!

Last edited by Jetmech; 03-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

I used to drive mine daily for first 6 months after I bought the car. Marv's write up is spot on with DDing the car. I won't have any problems if I have to daily drive the car again. Still drive the car during weekends and drive to the tracks 5-6 hours away. Currently have 48k miles on the clock, oil change every 5k miles and she's solid and reliable as rock on the street. Like someone already mentioned, it's really depends on what kinda of person you are when it comes to driving and living with the cars. Everyone has different tastes.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you decide you'd prefer a civilian 996, I know of a great one that's reasonably priced. Click my sig for more info.......
Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like an awesome trip, I imagine the west coast part was the more exciting aspect.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

When the 6GT3 first came out there was a lot of immediate turn over; my guess is because a lot of people found them to be too extreme as a DD. The previous owner of the first one I bought traded it in on a Boxster S! The dealer here tells me that they talk an awful lot of people out of buying them and talk them into something more comfortable. It seems to me that there wasn't as much immediate turn over for the 7GT3 as the word got out. If I wasn't on the track I'd get a 997 C2S or C4S. They are just as fast on the street and WAY more comfortable.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you would get tired of the compromises when used as a daily driver. It's a blast to drive, but it has better applications. Keep it for 30 years and make a huge profit.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 AM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'm the crazy one, but I really like the Euro seats and find them to be quite comfortable. The only thing my car is missing would be the cruise control (been on 2 fairly long trips) and it can be tough to keep it under a 100 if your not paying attention. I have driven several C4 S's and a few C2's... but there really is no comparison to the 3. As was mentioned earlier, it definitely depends what kind of person you are...but I would take the 3 over a C4 S any day, DD or not.

Quick Reply: GT3 as a DD?