Sponsored by:

My 18' open trailer needs a tire rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 18' open trailer needs a tire rack

Looking for ideas. Been putting this off because my Bri-Mar 18' open steel trailer has been great so far. I have been putting my wet tires in the back of a Tundra pickup, gear inside the club cab.
We are now trying to do events more together as a family and own a E-250 conversion van now too. Only did one event together using the van so far, it was months ago and I had kinda forgotten I had to find room inside it for tires, gear and ramps. An event is four weeks away and my parents are going as well. My son says "Dad, where are you planning on putting the tires now". Ooops. So, now I'm in a hurry to find a welder and give him ideas.
Can you guys post pic's of what you have or have seen for a tire rack on the forward portion of your open trailers. I need mine to store just a set of wet track tires and my trailer spare tire.
I can probably put the rest of my gear inside the van. I have 8' or so 2x10's that I use to help the car clear the angle onto the trailer. I need to secure those to the trailer now too.All that and a place for some fuel jugs and I'm good to go.
Thanks for any ideas and especially pic's.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM
XLR8N-FAN
Instructor

I also have a longer trailer. It enabled me to put the tire rack lower than normal. This cuts back on wind resistance and the tires help stop debris from hitting the car. Check it out... same color car and wheels!
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks. No trailer balance problems when you (presumably) may have had to position your car further aft for that setup? I do like that setup for minimum drag and hiding the car from rocks too. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8N-FAN
I also have a longer trailer. It enabled me to put the tire rack lower than normal. This cuts back on wind resistance and the tires help stop debris from hitting the car. Check it out... same color car and wheels!
Were you at Laguna with POC? There was a guy from SD with a 3110 next to me in the dirt parking lot Thursday afternoon waiting to get into the pits. Was that you?
Regardless, I just bought a 3110 and would like to see more pics of your tire rack. It looks great...

I too would think you might get some trailer sway with all that weight biased towards the rear. Any issues?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

john, if you're putting a tire rack on that thing, let me know! maybe that's how we can work out a deal
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
XLR8N-FAN
Instructor

I did move the GT3 back a little when I noticed more tongue weight. With the motor in the back, a little change made a big difference. The trailer set-up is so smooth that I have been known to hit 90 while towing (that's kph for any officers in the crowd :-)
Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8N-FAN
Any more pics of this setup?

Quick Reply: My 18' open trailer needs a tire rack