Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colby, I see you decided to take your toys and leave the sandbox.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Porter Cable at 6,000 rpm for 10 minutes on the same spot with medium pressure
LOL!

Originally Posted by Pete
Wow, I'm late to the party.

Colby, don't take offense to these comments, they just like busting ***** every once in the while. You just happen to be this weeks "Poster of the week". At least you take your car to the track and are not "Poser of the week">

I keep my car clean and waxed as frequently as possible, but it really depends on how much down time I have between track events. The off season is usually when I get my car detailed and put on a good coat of wax, but rarely during the season. Mind you I'm in Socal and our off season is not very long at all.

Perhaps once every other month would be wise for a wax job or after a weekend track event to get the rubber marks off. In the meantime, I'd spend the time you used to wax and get underneath the car. Check out the nuts on the sway bars. Are they still tight, how about the brake ducts? Any cracks, clips or zip ties that are broken.

Clean out all the rolled up rubber that you get underneath the car, inside the brake rotor vents, wedged inside the wheel well liner, etc. I personally think 3 weeks between waxing is overkill, but I don't know if it will hurt the paint or clearcoat. If I had to guess, I think it would especially with an orbital machine vs. by hand.
Sounds good. Although i usually have my mechanic do that before and after each event. Only b/c i usually need something else put or taken off after and event and he checks everything whiles he's under there but that makes good sense.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Wow, you really don't understand do you? Fine, close your threads if you wish. But don't ever let me catch you telling somebody to DAFS! :rofmao:

With that said, my thread will be open for all to post
Alright the thread will be re-opened. And i never tell others to DAFS. If i know the information i'll post it. Often times i'll do my own search so they dont have too. Honestly, and foolishly I suppose, i came into this forum thinking that that's what it was about. Not pointing out and laughing at others differences who dont share the your exact automotive understanding, but i've come to understand that while RL may be the greatest wealth of information enthusiast here not only appreciate the opportunities to flame others but actually hope for them.

There ARE ways to correct someone in the wrong. Scrutinizing them publically is hardly one of them and IMO should always be used as the very last resort especially b/c this is suppose to be a sub board unified by a single passion, the GT3, not separated by how we individually choose to appreciate and put that enthusiasm into action.

I suppose all in all this and the my previous thread will serve some good though. I can fore see one of two good things happening through them.

1. You've help to unify the community here even more by giving them a common "opposition" to point and have a good laugh at. Kudos. Or...

2. You've help to show just how "harsh" this community can be for any newbies watching.

Either way its been a good lesson learned at the expense of a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks for this wonderful thread Dell, and continuing to provide fuel for the fire. Its been such a pleasure man, really.

Last edited by Carnerd; 08-22-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4-large
I did good for me, second time at TH, second time in this car, first time in a TT: I did a 2:10.5
and best for the weekend 2:7.8

Jerry
Sick, 2:7.8 is definitely getting there!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carefree
Colby, keep a close eye on those stock front brakes. I know you just had 3 track days and when I ran stock fronts, I only got 5 track days, then they were shot. Slotted rotors seem to be doing much better.

What were your tire pressures when you pulled off the track?
They brakes have 5 days but i dont think TH is very hard on brakes. They are definitely getting there though.

Tire pressures were 41-42 rear and 30-32 front. I found these worked best to help the push i was experiencing.

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Ok cool.

So to my other question you keep avoiding, HOW WAS YOUR FIRST TRACK EXPERIENCE?!?!?!
I'll send you a pm. I've had just about the roast of a life time. NO NEED to open doors for more flaming opportunities.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL

Rad where is the new car???

Jerry
Two months searching, refusing to pay a crazy premium, and watching the prices coming to earth. It needs to be here before 2009, otherwise I will stop by local dealer and buy a Nissan GT-R and scare OldGuy on the Canyon roads while he drives his Merc, a Merc? What was he thinking?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
4-large
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Two months searching, refusing to pay a crazy premium, and watching the prices coming to earth. It needs to be here before 2009, otherwise I will stop by local dealer and buy a Nissan GT-R and scare OldGuy on the Canyon roads while he drives his Merc, a Merc? What was he thinking?
Just buy mooty's car he never drives it anyway...
LS three days this weekend, I need new pads I did not order in time,
I have new R6
Old 08-21-2008, 11:33 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just buy mooty's car he never drives it anyway...
LS three days this weekend, I need new pads I did not order in time,
I have new R6
Watch for turn 1, the car develops too much speed on that straight, and it is too light. The RS wing should help but be careful, it took me by surprise the first time there.

I'm sending you used RS19 pads tomorrow via FedEx Express with Saturday Delivery. It is already too late to send them today. The front pads have 1/3 life left (not much) but better than running on the hats.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM
4-large
Racer

Too kind thanks,
I planned on just taking friday and saturday slow, and then pick it up a bit for sunday (we will see). The crew will not be there they did not like the 35 cars on track.

My issues with that track will be T2, T5 and T6, I had PSM hit hard with the C4 at times at those turns so, I will need to build up to fine limits???

Jerry
Old 08-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Carefree
Pro

Colby, your rear tire pressures seem to be too high. Anything over 40 and it will feel like grease, especially on street tires.
The push you felt is normal for never experiencing a Pcar on the track, it only gets better from here. As you dial in a lower pressure and get a feel for the car, the pushing will go away. Another step further with tires and alignment, then you will experience "turn in" that will feel AWESOME and controlable.
This may seem harsh (not intended) but F - the cosmetics (you know exactly what I mean) and concentrate on the car and what it is telling you on the track. This comes with time, so put in the time and remember, this is not a show car, it is a track car. I like what Dell named it, it is a *****, so drive it like one.
Nut up and drive it, waxing is for chicks!
When is your next event?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Colby, your rear tire pressures seem to be too high. Anything over 40 and it will feel like grease, especially on street tires.
The push you felt is normal for never experiencing a Pcar on the track, it only gets better from here. As you dial in a lower pressure and get a feel for the car, the pushing will go away. Another step further with tires and alignment, then you will experience "turn in" that will feel AWESOME and controlable.
I was actually told by a fellow very knowledgeable rennlister to run 2-3 psi over recommended. It seemed to work really well. And the push was really bad.

The car has GMG's competition alignment for street tires. I felt like the car turned in very well and allowed for easy throttle steering. With that i suppose it can be bettered with R-Comps and a more aggressive alignment dialed to R-comps

This may seem harsh (not intended) but F - the cosmetics (you know exactly what I mean) and concentrate on the car and what it is telling you on the track. This comes with time, so put in the time and remember, this is not a show car, it is a track car. I like what Dell named it, it is a *****, so drive it like one.
Nut up and drive it, waxing is for chicks!
When is your next event?
Again, due to difficult circumstances i can not "put in the time" just yet. And I still dont understand why the car has to be a show car to be extremely well cared for? Whatever though, i'm over this topic and done trying to explain myself as we're getting no where. Lets just leave it where it is. I'm not going to change your mind about caring for your car and i'm pretty set on taking extremely good care of mine. You do your thing and i'll do mine. Sound ok to you?

I have a couple events in Sept.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Carefree
Pro

Colby, you have a lot to learn. Stop talking and start listening.You mention both "car is pushing - car turn's in very well" come on, were not stupid!
Wax on Wax off!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

You guys wax your cars?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
4-large
Racer

Ya, with spray in wash/wax....

Jerry
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I know Dell is a stats Prof, Colby is in academia as well? Man, those staff meetings at Universities must be something else!!

Colby, until we start making your payments on the car, paying for your consumables, etc., I don't think we have any right to tell you how much to wax your car, but I know we can all agree that we can help you get your car set up properly.

I too am a little confused on your statement of understeer and turning in fine. Do you know where your sway bar settings are at, both front and rear? What kind of camber are you running at the front and rear?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Colby is a Professor too? Woah!

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Let's hug it out! Ken wtf, you haven't been online in ages?!?! I had some stuff to send you.
I've been busy these days with new projects at work so haven't had time to talk people online. I do miss talking to you about GTRs, bro.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Carefree
Pro

Payments on a GT3, what planet are you on?
Pretty sure most of our cars are paid for "with cash".

Quick Reply: Colby, I see you decided to take your toys and leave the sandbox.