Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For Sale: Porsche OEM Carbon Fiber Cup wing set up

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:33 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike, not only is that a great idea, it should be considered mandatory. Colby, there are a bunch of good books on AX and DE, one written by a GGR instructor. I'm sure you have it in your library, but if not...I would suggest reading it prior to any track work.

It is all about safety, yours and your trackmates.

Looking forward to seeing you at TH.

FR
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karlooz
wow, getting a little ahead of yerself eh? planning on going pro before your first event ever. ahhh, one can always dream.
WTF?! What's with all of your smart@ss comments? Are you some jaded hack who couldnt make it and thus takes pleasure in telling complete strangers they're also destined to fail when trying? Honestly who cares?! Its MY money. And IMO its a win win for me. One i make it and actually get to drive professionally or two i dont and get years of track experience and fun. Either way, i get a smile on my face.

And seriously, who said anything about going pro within the next couple years??? You obviously have no idea what's actually going on. I said, depending on how my assessments go this next year or two, i may pick up a Miata Cup there after to give that a try. Do something along the lines of what CJ and Dan are doing with time trial and data assessment to see how i compare to the pros. Thus the desire to follow a trail they are blazing comment. You're comments in this post have been completely unnecessary and more so unwanted.

Just b/c i want to pick up a Miata Cup doesnt mean i'll automatically become a pro. Or does it? I suppose according to your great logic all GT3 Cup owners are professional drivers huh.

Last edited by Carnerd; 07-29-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mjb
Colby, if your car is back I would suggest you go to this PCA AX event - http://www.pca-ggr.org/node/101

AX has its pros and cons(like a lot of waiting around for 8 x 1min or so runs) but it will be an excellent opportunity to get a feel for some of the handling dynamics of your car before you put it on the track. I view it as paying dues to learn how your car behaves and acquire car control skills (if only for lower speed corners).

Check out this write up by Randy Pobst - http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?...e&mag_id=14873
Originally Posted by gt3'er
Mike, not only is that a great idea, it should be considered mandatory. Colby, there are a bunch of good books on AX and DE, one written by a GGR instructor. I'm sure you have it in your library, but if not...I would suggest reading it prior to any track work.

It is all about safety, yours and your trackmates.

Looking forward to seeing you at TH.

FR
Guys, thanks for all your input. I'm not sure exactly how this became about me and tracking but its gotten wayyy OT. I appreciate all the insight, but i've already spoken at length with several instructors and pro drivers about this. I'm in good hands.

Dan sorry about that. I'm not sure how it started but back to the OP. Good luck with the sale!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how selling Dan's wing turned into a "torch Colby session", but I do believe every race car driver had a "first" track day at some point..

The whole CF Cup wing, CF decklid, uprights, and endplates new are over $7K, but less than $8K...it doesn't appear to be an exact science since painting is involved, etc..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:45 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, it's all good natured ribbing, get a thicker skin mate
never had aspirations of going pro. too old and no sponsorship money.
am i a hack? DEFINITELY haha.
we can laugh about this at the GGR event. i WILL be there, signed up for 3 days.

to the original poster, sorry for contributing to the OT.

Originally Posted by carn3rd
WTF?! What's with all of your smart@ss comments? Are you some jaded hack who couldnt make it and thus takes pleasure in telling complete strangers they're also destined to fail when trying? Honestly who cares?! Its MY money. And IMO its a win win for me. One i make it and actually get to drive professionally or two i dont and get years of track experience and fun. Either way, i get a smile on my face.

And seriously, who said anything about going pro within the next couple years??? You obviously have no idea what's actually going on. I said, depending on how my assessments go this next year or two, i may pick up a Miata Cup there after to give that a try. Do something along the lines of what CJ and Dan are doing with time trial and data assessment to see how i compare to the pros. Thus the desire to follow a trail they are blazing comment. You're comments in this post have been completely unnecessary and more so unwanted.

Just b/c i want to pick up a Miata Cup doesnt mean i'll automatically become a pro. Or does it? I suppose according to your great logic all GT3 Cup owners are professional drivers huh.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Guys, thanks for all your input. I'm not sure exactly how this became about me and tracking but its gotten wayyy OT. I appreciate all the insight, but i've already spoken at length with several instructors and pro drivers about this. I'm in good hands.

Dan sorry about that. I'm not sure how it started but back to the OP. Good luck with the sale!
Ha, ha, a thread actually staying "On Topic" on Rennlist....let me know when you find one of those
Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM
4-large
Racer

This is better than Day' of our Lives"

karlooz, you crack me up. 17 days till GGR weekend

Colby, you had me lost as well , I thought you were planing on pro next year as well
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4-large
Colby, you had me lost as well , I thought you were planing on pro next year as well
My apologies. I realize now "giving it my shot in a year" was only clear to Dan CJ and I. By "giving it a shot in a year" in my first post i meant i want to be where Dan and CJ are with time trial and data acquisition with thier Miata Cups. Thus the "follow in a trail they are blazing" post.

Originally Posted by karlooz
LOL, it's all good natured ribbing, get a thicker skin mate
never had aspirations of going pro. too old and no sponsorship money.
am i a hack? DEFINITELY haha.
we can laugh about this at the GGR event. i WILL be there, signed up for 3 days.

to the original poster, sorry for contributing to the OT.

Originally Posted by DRG13
Not sure how selling Dan's wing turned into a "torch Colby session", but I do believe every race car driver had a "first" track day at some point..

The whole CF Cup wing, CF decklid, uprights, and endplates new are over $7K, but less than $8K...it doesn't appear to be an exact science since painting is involved, etc..
Again, good luck Dan! That's a crazy good price! BTW, when you start looking at RS wings check out MaShaw's product. They've got a really nice CF rep blade for around $1300.

Best,
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Carefree
Pro

DRG, I hope you sell the wing, soon, it is sweet, oh so sweet.

Colby, you seem to of dug a hole on this one.
Just a thought, but with no track experience, you might want to re-think about chiming in on every post that is posted?
Again, just a thought, because you have some good questions, most of the time.
No roast, just a BBQ.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carefree
DRG, I hope you sell the wing, soon, it is sweet, oh so sweet.

Colby, you seem to of dug a hole on this one.
Just a thought, but with no track experience, you might want to re-think about chiming in on every post that is posted?
Again, just a thought, because you have some good questions, most of the time.
No roast, just a BBQ.
Actually i almost never give advice on track related issues unless its second hand knowledge from a creditable source. Not my place and i understand that. Rethink chiming in on every post? Do i really chime in on every post and more so is what i post getting annoying? I always make it an appoint to say more than, "i agree, nice car, wow, etc..." And if its not informative than its playful banter which i thought was appreciated and if nothing else fun as playful and sarcastic as this sub forum is? And honestly looking back at my comments none of them were inappropriate, mundane, or unecessary, i think...? Or have they been?

Is anyone else tired of seeing me post? Honestly i dont mind if there are others and will gladly stop posting until i get a lot more track time. Honestly there's not much else to do as i'm home 24/7 caring for my sick father and find this discussion (while through the internet) much more entertaining and informative in a lot of cases than watching tv or reading. Although if others feel the same way i really wouldnt mind giving up posting on RL for a bit until i'm more "worthy" (ie. Running sub 2's at TH like Mooty) to post in every thread.

With regard to your comment about my questions being good, "most of the time." I was under the impression that this forum was founded and designed around the premise of asking questions, veterans helping new recruits, creating community, etc... With this type of thinking any question is a "good" question no matter how obvious or simple it is. While you guys have been Porsche-phyles for a long time, not everyone shares the same amount of knowledge or life experience with Porsches. To my understanding its the responsibility of the veterans or more informed to help the less informed, make them feel welcome and happy to be a part of such a community, not rejected and stupid for asking a simple or obvious question. Although it could be that i'm finding out the hard way this is not what this forum or sub forum is about. Rather keeping a tight knit community of those who "know it all." Please let me know your thoughts.

And i'm not sure how i dug a hole but that's all beside the point now. If others feel the same way as you, I'll start an anonymous pole to see if the majority feels that i'm a post ***** and steer these comments toward me away from Dan's OP. Back to the OP.

Again sincerely sorry Dan... I'll do my best from here on out to keep the comments directed toward me out of your thread.

Best,

Last edited by Carnerd; 07-30-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

my advice colby on your 1 st trackday don't even think your gt3 is fast. Itll bite u bigtime. I've had street civics kill me on the track on my old 996. Leave egos at home. Regards. Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

... (ie. Running sub 2's at TH like Mooty) to post in every thread.
i dont recall that i ever said i can do sub 2's at TH.
i have friends who can do that and i WISH to do that some day before i am 80 years old.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:02 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Mooty- he meant sub 2's at ls/sp- LOL. JK. Regards Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont recall that i ever said i can do sub 2's at TH.
i have friends who can do that and i WISH to do that some day before i am 80 years old.
Really?! I heard you were running low twos from a BMW CCA instructor. What do run?

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
my advice colby on your 1 st trackday don't even think your gt3 is fast. Itll bite u bigtime. I've had street civics kill me on the track on my old 996. Leave egos at home. Regards. Mike
Thanks Mike. That's what everyone keeps telling me. That if i hear tires screeching i'm probably going to fast and should be more concerned about learning the track and proper lines than going fast.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Colby,

I'll be happy to give you a ride in my car during future events. GGR is a no go for this as they only let GGR instructors have passengers. Check out NCRC. I race with them along with Mooty and Potter.

Quick Reply: For Sale: Porsche OEM Carbon Fiber Cup wing set up