Sponsored by:

Dual Ram Air Scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I forget where I read it, but they're supposed to be effective above 100 mph, 10-15 hp. The FVD site says it smooths out the airflow, and provides a ram air effect above 65 mph. Hell, if I spend $700 on the piece, I know I'd feel the difference.
+1! I would just keep telling myself, "wow, i can definitely feel the difference, wow, i can definitely feel the difference, wow, i can definitely feel the difference," until i was fully convinced.

It seems that $700+ dollars could be better used else where. I was thinking more or less $300 or so for a nice ram air.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
+1! I would just keep telling myself, "wow, i can definitely feel the difference, wow, i can definitely feel the difference, wow, i can definitely feel the difference," until i was fully convinced.

It seems that $700+ dollars could be better used else where. I was thinking more or less $300 or so for a nice ram air.
I can SO feel it...

mine was part of a package (wing, mirror housings, splitter, and collector) -- otherwise there is no way I would spend the money on this part.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:55 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd

The FVD piece approximates that price, but then there's the painting cost.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

the problem with a "dual" scoop idea is that the GT3 air intake is only on one side...the passenger side...there is a hot air exhaust fan on the driver side...I always wondered why some enterprising individual didn't design a scoop that would retain the exhaust fan and provide more outside air to the motor...this might not be good for those who often run in the wet as hydro lock could result....the best compromise seems to be the GMG/FVD tape on scoop that will supply more outside air at high speed but I would worry about it in the rain
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
the problem with a "dual" scoop idea is that the GT3 air intake is only on one side...the passenger side...there is a hot air exhaust fan on the driver side...I always wondered why some enterprising individual didn't design a scoop that would retain the exhaust fan and provide more outside air to the motor...this might not be good for those who often run in the wet as hydro lock could result....the best compromise seems to be the GMG/FVD tape on scoop that will supply more outside air at high speed but I would worry about it in the rain
Ah, i've been trying to find that answer for a long time. Thanks for clearing that up Chuck!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 AM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I forget where I read it, but they're supposed to be effective above 100 mph, 10-15 hp. The FVD site says it smooths out the airflow, and provides a ram air effect above 65 mph. Hell, if I spend $700 on the piece, I know I'd feel the difference.
Raising this thread up from the past as today I heard, from someone I believe to be creditable, that the air collector is only truly effective (but also very needed) on the GT3 cars which have put on the RS carbon wing - something about how the larger wing re-shapes air pockets and what-not, and that the air collector actually helps to get air into the engine that the RS wing is causing to "starve" via a pressure area (and is why Porsche did it themselves on the RS).

Not sure how accurate this all is, but the point that Porsche used it on the RS is a good one. Anyone experience abnormal engine temps. with an RS wing and NO air collector, ever?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
Great concern Chuck. Lucky for us Porsche designed these scoops and the stock GT3 airbox so rain and water being sucked or forced into the engine is not a problem. When air is being forced into an area as small as our airboxes it will go to the very back of the airbox. Two reasons for this. One is because of the air still entering into the box, this is the first place it hits. The next is because water has weight to it compared to air and gravity takes over. After this the water will flow to the lowest point in the airbox where Porsche has already placed holes to allow the water to escape out of the airbox and not collect inside of it. What water that does become mist will either get soaked up by the filter or will evaporate in the intake track before it can even do an damage to the motor.

ON a side note, I am working on getting some more carbon fiber parts made for our 6GT3s. Right now I have access to fenders and hoods. I would like to make a Porsche quality RS rear wing and the carbon scoops. The problem with all of this so far is there are a bunch of cheap parts being sold on the internet. How do you compete with these especially on a specific piece like the RS rear wing. All the parts I plan on making will be 100% carbon and not some fiberglass with carbon overlays like most of the cheap parts.

My question to the group is simple. What would you pay for quality carbon parts like RS rear wing, RS scoops, or any other parts that you may be looking for?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:51 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by danpic
...Not sure how accurate this all is, but the point that Porsche used it on the RS is a good one. Anyone experience abnormal engine temps. with an RS wing and NO air collector, ever?
Never had a problem running the RS cf blade and no air collector, and have done DEs in 114 deg ambient that way. Have not tracked the car since installing the air collector, and won't be tracking it anymore, so I can't say whether it improves the temps.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

GMG's is $790, and is the least expensive of the quality cf units I found. FVD's is $345, and, I assume, is fiberglass, which will require another $200-300 for painting.
Just found this post and I have some good new's for you guy's...the dollar got stronger and our pricing went down so the air ram is currently listing at $ 293.00.

Pm me or email me directly as I am currently working at FVD Germany. rhonda@fvd.us.

We have 3 in stock so just let me know...don't forget to mention that you are a rennlist member as that will save you 5% on this part.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Great concern Chuck. Lucky for us Porsche designed these scoops and the stock GT3 airbox so rain and water being sucked or forced into the engine is not a problem. When air is being forced into an area as small as our airboxes it will go to the very back of the airbox. Two reasons for this. One is because of the air still entering into the box, this is the first place it hits. The next is because water has weight to it compared to air and gravity takes over. After this the water will flow to the lowest point in the airbox where Porsche has already placed holes to allow the water to escape out of the airbox and not collect inside of it. What water that does become mist will either get soaked up by the filter or will evaporate in the intake track before it can even do an damage to the motor.

ON a side note, I am working on getting some more carbon fiber parts made for our 6GT3s. Right now I have access to fenders and hoods. I would like to make a Porsche quality RS rear wing and the carbon scoops. The problem with all of this so far is there are a bunch of cheap parts being sold on the internet. How do you compete with these especially on a specific piece like the RS rear wing. All the parts I plan on making will be 100% carbon and not some fiberglass with carbon overlays like most of the cheap parts.

My question to the group is simple. What would you pay for quality carbon parts like RS rear wing, RS scoops, or any other parts that you may be looking for?
Seth, MaShaw sells an exact full carbon RS wing replica for $1200 that's arguably nicer than the OEM for $1200 as a point of reference.

Quick Reply: Dual Ram Air Scoops?