Sponsored by:

Camber and Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber and Tire wear

Hey guys how much more tire wear will i see for say ever .5 degrees of neg. camber? I only ask because i have a 500 or so mile journey back from Santa Ana to the Bay Area and i dont want to prematurely wear out my front PS2's by running 2+ degrees of neg. front camber.

What do you guys think? TIA!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:40 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, I run -3.0 -2.5 front rear and find wear ok when I have to do reasonable road mileage to get to circuits. That's on cups with good suspension.

Last edited by DanH; 07-18-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Biggest concern would be toe settings at those camber values.

I run both of my cars at more than -2 degrees of negative camber on the street all the time but run 0 toe at the front on both cars. This cuts down greatly on wear. It'll still happen at an accellerated rate but not nearly as bad as you'd expect. Adding toe in or ESP. toe out however will greatly increase the wear.

Andy
Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Yep I have zero front toe, and just a little rear toe.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're using PS2's at the track, you don't need to get so aggressive with the negative camber. There's no benefit until you move up to r-comps, which needs it to work properly IMO.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,888 Likes on 2,408 Posts

i agree with holger that with ps2, you dont really need 2 deg.

however, 2 deg with 0 toe will not have much tire wear. but understand that these tires will not last you more than 8-10k miles on street. if they do, you are not driving the car right, in fact if they last you more than 6k miles, you are not driving the car right.

with GT3 and you said you want to track it, you just have to deal with 2-3 sets of tires per year. no way around it. also it's hard to say how much wear you will get, b/c some will be on track, some will be on street, they wear different shoulders on the tire. tire management is rather complicated as i run 4 sets of tires and use a spreadsheet to track them to even out the wear, then you have to flip them on the wheels to maximize your $$$ (taking into acct the cost to flip the tires).....

after a while, i realized it's a lost cause as i spend more time managing my tires trying to save a few bux than doing actual work to make money. so now i just change tires when they are used up.

back to topic, even with 1.5 camber you will see fairly quick wear on GT3 tires.

finally camber depends on how YOU drive the car, spring rate, track surface etc etc. some say GT3 doesnt' need 3 deg of camber, but if i ran less than that i have excessive outside wear. if i have 3, then wear is even on track.

on the other hand, i have seen ppl with 2 deg of camber but dont pull enough G in turns such that they dont get to the outside of the outside shoulder at all. so that's too much camber for that particular driver.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
i agree with holger that with ps2, you dont really need 2 deg.

however, 2 deg with 0 toe will not have much tire wear. but understand that these tires will not last you more than 8-10k miles on street. if they do, you are not driving the car right, in fact if they last you more than 6k miles, you are not driving the car right.

with GT3 and you said you want to track it, you just have to deal with 2-3 sets of tires per year. no way around it. also it's hard to say how much wear you will get, b/c some will be on track, some will be on street, they wear different shoulders on the tire. tire management is rather complicated as i run 4 sets of tires and use a spreadsheet to track them to even out the wear, then you have to flip them on the wheels to maximize your $$$ (taking into acct the cost to flip the tires).....

after a while, i realized it's a lost cause as i spend more time managing my tires trying to save a few bux than doing actual work to make money. so now i just change tires when they are used up.

back to topic, even with 1.5 camber you will see fairly quick wear on GT3 tires.

finally camber depends on how YOU drive the car, spring rate, track surface etc etc. some say GT3 doesnt' need 3 deg of camber, but if i ran less than that i have excessive outside wear. if i have 3, then wear is even on track.

on the other hand, i have seen ppl with 2 deg of camber but dont pull enough G in turns such that they dont get to the outside of the outside shoulder at all. so that's too much camber for that particular driver.
So what is recommended for a beginner GT3 driver with PS2's? Nothing more than 2 degrees 0 toe.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colby,

If you're streeting the car with occasional tracktime at somewhere further away, then btwn 1.5 and 1.8 is good + a little front toe and rear toe.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by carn3rd
So what is recommended for a beginner GT3 driver with PS2's? Nothing more than 2 degrees 0 toe.
sorry, i dont know.
as you know, i pay tony to figure these things out for me so i can reduce the amount of headache i have and the motrins i have to take.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RacingFan (Richard) from the board here has a relevant set up on his that Tony Collicio (TC Design) did for him, he really likes it.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Austin
Colby,

If you're streeting the car with occasional tracktime at somewhere further away, then btwn 1.5 and 1.8 is good + a little front toe and rear toe.
Thanks Austin!

sorry, i dont know.
as you know, i pay tony to figure these things out for me so i can reduce the amount of headache i have and the motrins i have to take.
Ya, too bad he'll be on vacation when the car gets back.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Austin!

Ya, too bad he'll be on vacation when the car gets back.
that's why i have my appt's book until december 2010. most ppl think i cut in line, but i just plan way in advance. i ran out of tires once, now i stock them....

i think i need to stock a third spare car.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

that's why i have my appt's book until december 2010. most ppl think i cut in line, but i just plan way in advance. i ran out of tires once, now i stock them....

i think i need to stock a third spare car.
Haha! btw, why are both 3's down?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Haha! btw, why are both 3's down?
they cant take my abuse.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

John...can't take your abuse?? Wow, I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear what is failing...

Quick Reply: Camber and Tire wear