Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point Raceway crash 7-12-08

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
On Pole
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must try and slow the car once you are straight. A late turn in will give you a better line into the braking zone. If you are still carrying too much speed, just drive straight. I have done this at least 10 times within the last 16 years.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry if some folks are disappointed by the video I posted. No harm was intended, and there was no mention of this on the board where I made my initial post. Someone directed me to this thread, which I found interesting.

I wasn't happy to see the crash either, but for those that know Summit Point, it was clearly an overdriving error. Although I don't know the owner, I heard plenty about what transpired. Alot of discussion took place at the event after it happened, and I decided to go ahead and post it. It's sad when people wreck their cars, but it is a very real risk of this sport. Whether the incident is dissected or not, it is still a reminder of what can happen. Fortunately, driver and passenger walked away just fine, although neither is particularly happy it happened.

IMHO, there's no harm in posting the video. In fact, the video pales in comparison to the pics taken by the track photographer (also available online). But if the owner of the car would like to contact me and request that it be taken it down, I will.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by On Pole
You must try and slow the car once you are straight. A late turn in will give you a better line into the braking zone. If you are still carrying too much speed, just drive straight. I have done this at least 10 times within the last 16 years.
But the driver didn't have the experience to know that. That's why he crashed. You can't drive a car like a GT3 and expect it to save your *** when the **** hits the fan. I believe his previous car was an all wheel drive car and when in trouble with that type of car is all you do is mash the gas and let the computer and diffs fix everything for you.

I had a student on Monday/Tuesday at Summit Point after the PCA event and he was very new and had a very nice 911 with mods. I told him straight up before I let him go solo to dial it back and get a feel for the car and that he needs to be able to predict before the PSM kicks in etc etc.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting video- no harm, no foul!
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
But the driver didn't have the experience to know that. That's why he crashed. You can't drive a car like a GT3 and expect it to save your *** when the **** hits the fan. I believe his previous car was an all wheel drive car and when in trouble with that type of car is all you do is mash the gas and let the computer and diffs fix everything for you.

I had a student on Monday/Tuesday at Summit Point after the PCA event and he was very new and had a very nice 911 with mods. I told him straight up before I let him go solo to dial it back and get a feel for the car and that he needs to be able to predict before the PSM kicks in etc etc.
He came from the Audi world but is a good driver and has more DEs than I have. Over 60 events or something as far as I remember. S4s don't come with electronic diff, Rob. Only 4 wheels drive. Besides, the guy riding along with him (instructor) is also pretty good and super experienced. I'm sure he was telling what to do and not to. Oh well...I guess accidents do happen regardless.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Besides, the guy riding along with him (instructor) is also pretty good and super experienced.
That's an understatement. Winner of 24hr Rolex Daytona classifies him as more than pretty good.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

That was me TonyP...more discussion at https://rennlist.com/forums/hey-wait-for-me-racing-forum/442518-don-t-lift.html
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the photos on the track photographer's site, and I agree that it was tasteless to post them, particularly for sale. The license plate in the one shot during the spin is clear as day...not cool.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 PM
'ringmeister
Advanced

Originally Posted by On Pole
Don't brake until the car is straight when exiting turn four. If you carry too much speed, drive straight through the dirt and grass.
it's been awhile since i drove summit, but (if memory doesn't fail me) there is very little runoff on the left side. if you run wide i think you are in an embankment?

Also, there are some amazing still photos on cayman club of the impact into the tirewall. the car it literally six feet in the air...
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that is rough, glad they are okay :/
Old 07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lesson to be learned here: if rear starts to feel "loose", stay on power or give it more power to get some weight back there. My guess was the car felt light at T4 heading down to T5, and he lifted.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Lesson to be learned here: if rear starts to feel "loose", stay on power or give it more power to get some weight back there. My guess was the car felt light at T4 heading down to T5, and he lifted.
Not quiet as easy as it sounds though. If you're not used to this type of situation, instinctually you'll lift. Its hard to go against your instincts when a 80+k GT3 is at stake.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Not quiet as easy as it sounds though. If you're not used to this type of situation, instinctually you'll lift. Its hard to go against your instincts when a 80+k GT3 is at stake.
If this guy was driving in an upper run group the instinct should be there unless he was undeserving of his promotion to that run group. Your instinct is to get on the gas. Dollars really having nothing to do with do I want to crash or not..... WTF.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just reviewed the pictures from the HWFMR thread on this topic.... All I can say is that the driver was VERY lucky that the car did not flip. After hitting the tire wall rear-end first, the car spun around 180 degrees, then went airborne (6-8 ft vertical) for another 180 degree turn landing on all 4 wheels.

Regarding the posting of the video and the still pictures, I also agree that it is in poor taste w/o the driver's permission. However, I will be CERTAIN to remember this thread for when I finally drive at Summit Point. Much can be learned from it...

-Blake

Quick Reply: Summit Point Raceway crash 7-12-08