Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My toe-links are wearing out...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008 | 05:03 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Default My toe-links are wearing out...

I have the links from TPC and the end where the monoball bearings (the area where there is metal to metal contact) are wearing out and making a lot of squeaking/rattling noise. Also, when you lift the car up, put your hands on the rear wheel 3 and 9 o'clock position and wiggle it, you can actually feel my toe changing by mm, along with the rattling noise. Anyone having this problem? Shall I be worry about anything else besides those mono ***** wearing out? I visited TPC last week and they said only the ends of the toe-links need to be changed. Since this happened after a year of usage, I'm not sure I want to go with another TPC links again. Thinking of ERP, PMNA or even newly designed Tarret kit.

I've seen PMNA links in person and they have rubber coating between monoball bearing and the rod (see 43 in figure). Just wondering whether ERP or new Tarret kit has that design also. Can anyone with newly designed Tarret kit confirm this? Also, any good shops where I can order the PMNA parts? I've searched about the toe-links and found some good info about upgrading the toe-arms as well as using solid bushings. Are those really necessary? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ken

Old 06-20-2008 | 12:00 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

a few things...1. the Tarett links are ERP links...2. you should remove the tire and grasp the wheel carrier and make sure it is the toe link that allows the movement and not a bad wheel bearing...3. when you did the toe links did you get the lockdown kit...it could be your eccentrics and maybe all you need is the lockdown kit....good luck...
Old 06-20-2008 | 12:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I don't think it would get that play from a slipped eccentric bolt. I sounds like a wheel bearing issue. But, as Chuck said, take off the wheel and inspect that sucker thoroughly. Tug back and forth on the toe arm itself to check for slippage. That should tell you pretty quickly if it is moving.

And before you check ANYTHING make sure all the lug bolts are totally secure and torqued down. You are going to fell pretty silly if it was loose wheel bolts that were causing the wheel to move
Old 06-20-2008 | 12:42 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

My two years old RSR links look new. At the front, I use the ERP links to fix bump steer. I like the design on the ERP link better, because they're thicker (more robust), they include a rubber boot to cover the monoball bearing, and they are much cheaper.

I haven't seen a monoball bearing fail so soon, unless you're doing off-track excursions, and not cleaning and adding lubricant to the dirty monoball bearings.
Old 06-20-2008 | 01:53 PM
Cory M
Drifting

There is a big difference in the quality of rod-ends used by the various manufacturers. Precise, high quality rod-ends aren't cheap. Cheaper rod ends wear out faster and don''t provide the same range of motion.

Last edited by Cory M; 06-20-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2008 | 02:02 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

TPC also said wheel bearings need to be replaced but when I took it to the dealer they said toe links are worn and they cannot inspect the worn wheel bearings with worn aftermarket toe-links. I was how I lifted the car up and started looking around and first thing I checked throughoutly is those mono ball joint. Toe links I have do not have a lock down kit. May be that's why moving? Because you can definitely see the monoballs moving (both links) when you wiggle the wheel. Will try taking off the wheel and torque the bolts back in and try again.

Thanks for the inputs gents.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
My two years old RSR links look new. At the front, I use the ERP links to fix bump steer. I like the design on the ERP link better, because they're thicker (more robust), they include a rubber boot to cover the monoball bearing, and they are much cheaper.
Like the rubber boot idea. But, you all know about PMNA putting the rubber layer (or some kind of coating. Might be polyurethane) in mono ball bearing rod end area right? Not sure I explained it clearly. One thing worth to mention is that, TPC also told me they change those rod ends on their race cars every 3 races.
Old 06-20-2008 | 02:13 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just to clarify, we carry two different toe link kits for the 996/997. The standard toe only adjustable links are made by us. The links that adjust both toe and bump, are ERP parts. Both kits use a high quality, precision grade rod end with a Teflon liner. We haven’t seen any wear issues with either.

I haven’t seen the TPC rod ends, and can’t comment on their quality.

Ira Ramin
Tarett Engineering

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

Old 06-20-2008 | 02:20 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The PMNA links also have Teflon liners in their high quality rod ends. That’s probably the rubber coating you’re seeing.

The locking plate kits will eliminate the eccentrics, that will sometimes slip under heavy loading. If you can make it move by hand, then it’s not the eccentrics slipping unless the bolts are just not tight.

Ira Ramin
Tarett Engineering
Old 06-20-2008 | 02:25 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineeg
Just to clarify, we carry two different toe link kits for the 996/997. The standard toe only adjustable links are made by us. The links that adjust both toe and bump, are ERP parts. Both kits use a high quality, precision grade rod end with a Teflon liner. We haven’t seen any wear issues with either.

I haven’t seen the TPC rod ends, and can’t comment on their quality.

Ira Ramin
Tarett Engineering
Yes! A Teflon liner is what I've been trying to say. Thank you for pointing it out. PMNA ones has that liners too. I will post the pictures of TPC ends once they are out of the car. They have no liners and just two metals (bolts, bearings) joined together. If you don't put little bit of lubricant, it makes a sqeaking sounds everytime the car moves.

Thank you again for chiming in Ira. Is it possible to order just the rod ends from Tarret? I would like a locking kit as well. Didn't know Tarret Engineering is on the forum too.
Old 06-20-2008 | 02:32 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I check the forums occasionally to stay in touch with what’s going on, mostly just lurking. If your rod end thread is the same as the one we use, than you can get a replacement from us. If not, than I can probably point you in the right direction to get some.

Ira
Old 06-20-2008 | 03:31 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

hey Ira, your toe links and locking plates along with the ERP upper links, corner balance and alignment have transformed the car..thanks...
Old 06-20-2008 | 03:54 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
hey Ira, your toe links and locking plates along with the ERP upper links, corner balance and alignment have transformed the car..thanks...
+1

I also installed the rear upper shock mount monoballs. No extra noises back there and the car feels fantastic at the track. My instructor (who really knows these cars) loved the feel of my car.

Thanks Ira!
Old 06-20-2008 | 03:58 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I'm jealous! What does ERP upper links do? Are they same as upper toe arms? There are so many things you could change and spend so much $$$ back there that it's confusing. I also want to somewhat transform my car without going JRZ, Motons or KWs as well. Currently, I only have TPC toe links and nothing else. No locking kit or anything. Will call Ira when I get off work later in the evening.
Old 06-20-2008 | 04:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ken, he is probably referring to the upper control arms (aka, dog bones).
Old 06-20-2008 | 05:44 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

upper links, dogbones, control arms...yep...they are adjustable and allow more negative camber in the rear...they are expensive but are a very good piece...ask Ira...

Quick Reply: My toe-links are wearing out...