Sponsored by:

Finally damaged my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally damaged my GT3

Not the way you think. A freakin' floor jack. Without belaboring it all....I have had four or more jacks. None were ever the perfect jack, if there is one. Cost, weight, min height, etc, all issues.
I have most recently used this jack http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500 because it was light and low profile and affordable.
It bit me and bit hard. The jack is very tough to let down unless the handle is EXACTLY in line with the release valve. You know what I mean if you have one.
I allowed myself to be distracted when lowering the car and the agressive twist you need to open the release valve and lower your car turned into maybe something of a pull too and the car came off the jack.
Nice ding on the side of the car.
You can say all you want, I am already pissed. It was certainly a combination of a crappy jack and my not concentrating on the task. I am trying to save another Rennlister the potential for damage here though guys. This jack is not worth buying, trust me on this one.
I may have overcompensated but I have ordered the DK20 on this site: http://www.asedeals.com/hydraulicjacks2.html

I am done with cheap jacks.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

If I ever decide to go all our and buy a bling-bling jack I'd get one of these http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/PROJACKS.htm

But the ones you ordered would be great for a garage, for sure.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a AC jack and they are a thing of beauty. It is a masterpiece!
Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. When stuff like that happens I start throwing stuff around in the garage.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear of your mishap, thank you for the jack info.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there when it happened and I definitely felt for you.....I know the car will be perfect next time we see it.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up ...

Originally Posted by Greygt3
I have a AC jack and they are a thing of beauty. It is a masterpiece!
Wow... you know, when you know!
Those Jacks have the range I have not seen in any of those fancy "NASCAR" jacks! Great call GreyGT3. Thanks!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:40 AM
motorsport43
Track Day

Sorry to hear of your mishap...

I just wanted to let you know that I ordered the AC DK20 from asedeals specifically for my GT3, and it doesn't have enough reach. It reaches the jacking points, but the arm contacts the sideskirt as you lift, and I didn't lift any further fearing that it might damage the skirt. Unfortunately, I found out way too late, so I didn't return it. It's an excellent jack otherwise, and I like how it's silent when you roll it around. I'll just use it for my other cars.

I ended up ordering another jack from them, the AFF 200T "low rider". It lifts without contact with the sideskirt, and is cheaper as well. My only complaint is that you need to fully cycle the arm for it to lift. If you try to jack midway, it doesn't lift very much. Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Carefree
Pro

Wink

That really does suck, especially when you know it is possible of happening - then one distraction ruins everything.
Get it fixed, burn the jack and go enjoy a track day!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

i jack my car up 2x a week, every week, to change tires, pads and to wash it.
there is only ONE floor jack worth using.
AC hydraulic, period.
it's $$$ and HEAVY. but it is also the best, NOTHING comes close. i got 3 of those :-)
Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 AM
CT03911
Banned

Motorsport43 thanks for the info. I called ASE today (closed, left message) based on your post to try to change my order.
Greygt3 you say you have one of their jacks too. Which one? The AFF 200T Motorsport43 has?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
Not the way you think. A freakin' floor jack. Without belaboring it all....I have had four or more jacks. None were ever the perfect jack, if there is one. Cost, weight, min height, etc, all issues.
I have most recently used this jack http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500 because it was light and low profile and affordable.
It bit me and bit hard. The jack is very tough to let down unless the handle is EXACTLY in line with the release valve. You know what I mean if you have one.
I allowed myself to be distracted when lowering the car and the agressive twist you need to open the release valve and lower your car turned into maybe something of a pull too and the car came off the jack.
Nice ding on the side of the car.
You can say all you want, I am already pissed. It was certainly a combination of a crappy jack and my not concentrating on the task. I am trying to save another Rennlister the potential for damage here though guys. This jack is not worth buying, trust me on this one.
I may have overcompensated but I have ordered the DK20 on this site: http://www.asedeals.com/hydraulicjacks2.html

I am done with cheap jacks.
I opted for the 2 1/2 ton Torin they have there after considering the jack you picked up. I felt the 1.5 was just too flimsy with only one piston. I think the 2.5 one is fantastic, easy to use and perfect for my use. No issues at all. I'm glad I went with the larger one after reading this.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM
CT03911
Banned

Just to be clear for those of you who this post makes you consider jack options, The Big Red Torin jack I posted about was not too weak or too light.
What sucked about it was the action required on the handle to lower the car. It was never a smooth twist action and the car slowly lowers down. No, it was very difficult to release the jack unless you did another 1/2 pump to effectively align the handle with the piston release valve.
In my case the car was already pretty much as high as it would go. Mistake #1 with this jack. I did not feel another 1/2 pump to lower the handle was in the jack or even a good idea. I tried to let the car down without pumping the handle into a better position.
With an agressive twist to open the piston valve and not paying close attention I caused the jack to slip out. Mistake #2.
You can make this jack work for short lifts, tire changes etc. Maybe their heavier lift jacks/dual piston whatever are also a smother action too. I don't know. I just wished I bought a better quality jack some time ago.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

When jacking my car, (I use a 20 year old iron jack that I paid $49 for) I drive my car up on a pair of 2x4's nailed together to raise the car up 3 inches or so. My jack fits perfectly. I've never felt it was unsafe or dangerous. My jack does operate with the twist of the handle. I can modulate the lowering speed easily.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Carefree
Pro

Talking

Mooty, would you say the AC DK20 is the correct jack (suffecient) for our cars?

Also, do you use any type of additional pad or block between the car and the jack pad?

Advise from the more experienced, is always welcome.

Quick Reply: Finally damaged my GT3