Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust the front sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you adjust the front sway bar?

Can someone help me out?

Photos would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

V
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont have any pics handy but there should be 5 holes on the passenger side of the bar. Move the drop link forward to make it stiffer and towards the back to make it softer. Pretty easy to do.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

remember... what you do at one end can affect the other. small changes are best.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and torque the nuts to 45 ft-lbs.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

if you turn the front wheels to full right lock you can look in behind the driver's wheel and see the drop link and sway bar...do the opposite to check the passenger side...the rear drop links are easily checked from behind the rear tires...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
front.pdf (30.8 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-27-2008, 11:23 AM
abg123
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
if you turn the front wheels to full right lock you can look in behind the driver's wheel and see the drop link and sway bar...do the opposite to check the passenger side...the rear drop links are easily checked from behind the rear tires...
Hey..I'm interested in learning more about adjusments to my 04'...where did you get that diagram? And where can I find additional info on what can be adjusted on my GT3? And how to do it.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

the diagram is from the Porsche 996 PET Catalog...you can download the pdf here: https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...SA_KATALOG.pdf

As far as user friendly adjustments there is not much more you can do other than swaybar and tire pressure changes. The GT3 is very sensitive to alignment/corner balance and that is best left to experts.

As mentioned before, whatever you do to one end of the car affects the other end of the car as well. To adjust the swaybar you move the link to a hole that is farther from the bar to soften and closer to the bar to stiffen. If you soften the front swaybar (both sides) or stiffen the rear swaybar you will reduce understeer and increase oversteer. If you stiffen the front swaybar or soften the rear swaybar you will increase understeer and reduce oversteer. It is best to do one adjustment at a time (both sides). Mine is set at one from soft in the front and one from stiff in the rear.

Tire pressures can also be used to change oversteer and understeer. If you increase front pressure or decrease rear pressure 2.5pds you will reduce understeer and increase oversteer. If you reduce front pressure or increase rear pressure you will increase understeer and reduce oversteer.

It is a good idea for all GT3 owners to familiarize themselves with the swaybar links because they often come loose from the factory or can work themselves loose over time. I've teched a few at the track and found missing nuts and in one case the front swaybar was completely disconnected on one side.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 04-27-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
va122
Drifting

Thanks everyone!!

Quick Reply: How do you adjust the front sway bar?