Sponsored by:

Just took a ride around the track in an Ariel Atom

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just took a ride around the track in an Ariel Atom

I was taken for a few laps today in an Ariel Atom with a good driver today. Wow... what a treat. That car was amazing. The funny thing that I thought I should mention is that as a result of the factory tires (Proxies) the driver said that his best time is NOT in the Atom but a GT3 RS.

He did admit that the Atom was just a whole lot more fun to drive, but he could still not beat his time in the RS. A couple things stood out. 1) High speed runs in the atom and it seemed to be a little unstable, like it was going to take flight. 2) 65/35 weight distribution makes for an interesting drive.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah handling is reputedly a bit suspect! Was it a supercharged one?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

yes. supercharged, but not the 300HP version
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
dp35
Pro

What track was this at?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Driveway austin. It was Bill Dollahite's Son, Scott (who, according to Bill, is faster than him) who gave me the ride

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/main/node/44

Not my video, not the same driver or not me in this YouTube video... but it is the car and the track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwvj8qnjRAs

The Atom was the AMD sponsored Ariel
Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

These things are getting more popular, I just saw one at Thunderhill yesterday.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Ariel Atom is toast, gone, dead. At least Brammo Motor Sports in Oregon is.

To be honest, it never lived up to its billing on the track. All the samples I saw were reported to "twitchy" or some such by their owners, and slower than me, GT-3 or Z 06 ( and that is SLOWWWWW)

Sort of reverse-synergy.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:36 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
To be honest, it never lived up to its billing on the track. All the samples I saw were reported to "twitchy" or some such by their owners, and slower than me, GT-3 or Z 06 ( and that is SLOWWWWW)
I find it funny how some people blame their machine for their lack of ability. Put these same drivers behind the wheel of any race car and I'm sure you'd get the same results - "slow and twitchy".

The truth is, most Atoms aren't tracked much, and sadly many not at all. Those that are tracked are not often driven well (perhaps myself included).

With no traction control, stability control, or ABS, along with its extreme power to weight ratio, the Atom feels different than "normal" cars. Its almost more like a shifter kart than a street car. Twitchy? Yes. Slow? Not IMO, but that's a matter of opinion. Mine has no problem with GT3's or Z06's.

You can be the judge of how twitchy and slow my Atom is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdilDQ-XBI
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Ariel Atom is toast, gone, dead. At least Brammo Motor Sports in Oregon is.
Looks like they have a new manufacturer at VIR to handle the Atom 3, with Honda Type R motors for the US:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/03/n...om-in-the-u-s/

www.arielatom.com
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Watching that last video I don't see anything "twitchy" or "slow" about it. Looks to me like he was crushing everything on the track.

-Charles
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Originally Posted by dp35
I find it funny how some people blame their machine for their lack of ability. Put these same drivers behind the wheel of any race car and I'm sure you'd get the same results - "slow and twitchy".

The truth is, most Atoms aren't tracked much, and sadly many not at all. Those that are tracked are not often driven well (perhaps myself included).

With no traction control, stability control, or ABS, along with its extreme power to weight ratio, the Atom feels different than "normal" cars. Its almost more like a shifter kart than a street car. Twitchy? Yes. Slow? Not IMO, but that's a matter of opinion. Mine has no problem with GT3's or Z06's.

You can be the judge of how twitchy and slow my Atom is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdilDQ-XBI
Seemed mighty smooth to this low time drover !!

JoeD
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35

With no traction control, stability control, or ABS, along with its extreme power to weight ratio, the Atom feels different than "normal" cars. Its almost more like a shifter kart than a street car.
Can anyone compare for me the handling of the Atom vs. the Caterham? I've driven the Caterham and thought it was very nicely balanced and responsive (and quite forgiving). I guess the Ariel's drivetrain is behind the rear axle (even moreso than a 911)?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
Can anyone compare for me the handling of the Atom vs. the Caterham? I've driven the Caterham and thought it was very nicely balanced and responsive (and quite forgiving). I guess the Ariel's drivetrain is behind the rear axle (even moreso than a 911)?
I've never driven a Caterham, but I'm guessing that they might handle better than an Atom. The reason I say this, is that Caterhams have been around a lot longer, there's a lot more of them, and they've been raced. Atoms haven't ever really been raced or developed at all, and for that reason, I don't think anyone has found their true potential.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the concept of the Atom but have always been suspect of the crash protection afforded by the skeleton. Energy needs to be dissipated in a crash and bending metal, suspension arms, doors, door jambs etc all serves that purpose. I'm not sure what crash testing was done on this vehicle and I'm open to the possibility it is actually better than a GT3 in a crash, but it doesn't seem to be that way...

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jim H.
I love the concept of the Atom but have always been suspect of the crash protection afforded by the skeleton. Energy needs to be dissipated in a crash and bending metal, suspension arms, doors, door jambs etc all serves that purpose. I'm not sure what crash testing was done on this vehicle and I'm open to the possibility it is actually better than a GT3 in a crash, but it doesn't seem to be that way...

Thoughts?
I'd rather be in a 911 in a crash! Same with a Caterham or Radical etc.

Quick Reply: Just took a ride around the track in an Ariel Atom