Sponsored by:

PFC direct drive rotor weight vs. Cup rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd be interested to see if they send you the NON-floating design bobbin kit that is included with the dimpled non-motorsport line. There are two kits available and the ones on the TRUE floating motorsport setup are just that....floating. The ones with the "clip" are the non-motorsport bobbin kit that create a fixed system. Please post back a pic of the kit when you get it.

There is a SIGNIFICANT price difference between the two bobbin kits as the materials are different.
Dell, I'm not clear on whether the price difference is due mainly to the bobbin kits or the dimpled vs. slotted rotors. The floating bobbin kit is different as you point out and made to higher quality spec - just don't know what the difference in price is. I was told I can replace the dimpled rotors with slotted rotors on my hats(anti-rattle street kit). In fact the race shop (Arlan) says the majority of the sets they sell these days are the "anti-rattle" street kit with slotted rotors. It seems the slotted rotors are more expensive by themselves than the dimpled rotors - same material just dimpled vs. slotted. Perhaps the slotted rotors give a little more initial bite, dunno.

Also, if you install the "anti-rattle kit" they still float, just not as much as the true floaters.
Defintely a little more confusing than slapping on the cup rotors but I think it'll pay off in the end.
Oh, and regarding your other post on brake cooling - I have had the cup ducts on for some time now....good, cheap mod.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Hey Mike,

Scott and I will be at TH on Friday, praying for no rain. How about you??

Glad to hear the bobbin kit works. I'll post some photos comparing the existing and new bobbin styles.

Can't wait to get them on...rattles really bug me. Being a commoner, I don't care about an imperceptable performance increase.
Won't be at TH this week. On the waitlist for TMR at SP 10/25. Have fun, the track is fast and the berm situation is much better than it was in August.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
Dell, I'm not clear on whether the price difference is due mainly to the bobbin kits or the dimpled vs. slotted rotors. The floating bobbin kit is different as you point out and made to higher quality spec - just don't know what the difference in price is. I was told I can replace the dimpled rotors with slotted rotors on my hats(anti-rattle street kit). In fact the race shop (Arlan) says the majority of the sets they sell these days are the "anti-rattle" street kit with slotted rotors. It seems the slotted rotors are more expensive by themselves than the dimpled rotors - same material just dimpled vs. slotted. Perhaps the slotted rotors give a little more initial bite, dunno.

Also, if you install the "anti-rattle kit" they still float, just not as much as the true floaters.
Defintely a little more confusing than slapping on the cup rotors but I think it'll pay off in the end.
Oh, and regarding your other post on brake cooling - I have had the cup ducts on for some time now....good, cheap mod.
See post #15 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/442163-cup-or-stock-rotors-for-the-track.html#post5605172

The hats are the same. The rotors and bobbin kits are different. The cost difference comes into play with the manufacture process on the slotting v. dimples, and the bobbin kit material. To swap out the motorsport bobbin kit for the standard kit is throwing away a superior bobbin kit and eliminating the very benefit of FLOATING rotors.

And no, they do NOT float with the anti-rattle kit that is on the standard setup. That is 100% misinformation.

The pricing in the post I provided the link to. There is a reason why it is almost 2x the cost for the motorsport setup.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g3tcs
I have just paid £148 for a full set (F+R) of PF01's. This compares to £640 for RS29's from a UK supplier.
Where from? I think we've established that it's not Fearnsport...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pointer. Interesting how PFC sticks it to the race crowd given the hats at $325 per are the same in each package.
The hats are the same. The rotors and bobbin kits are different. The cost difference comes into play with the manufacture process on the slotting v. dimples, and the bobbin kit material. To swap out the motorsport bobbin kit for the standard kit is throwing away a superior bobbin kit and eliminating the very benefit of FLOATING rotors.
True, unless you're in a situation like GT3'r and trying to eliminate the rattling.

And no, they do NOT float with the anti-rattle kit that is on the standard setup. That is 100% misinformation.
Well, this "misinformation" campaign came from PFC (as well as Arlan Motorsport). From an email exchange I had with PFC I quote - "there are springs inside the bobbins putting tension on the disc to keep it from rattling but the disc is still floating and able to expand and contract with heat and cold but not be held steadfast to the hat."
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mike, I agree that it sounds a little suspect that their pricing is so significantly different for the motorsports stuff. Hard to figure out the cost difference to slot versus dimple but I can tell you that the hardware is much more expensive with the AN spec materials.

As far as trying to eliminate the rattling, that just comes with running a race car and race car parts. I suspect PFC went with a cheaper material and bobbin kit to appease the street/track DE guy. But IMHO, it's a waste (and defeats the point) to throw out the pricey floating bobbin set for the street set.

The "misinformation" sounds like a vague game of semantics. Either the setup is floating or it's not. The tension spring that comes in the street setup does NOT allow the rotor to float. Take a look at any of the street setups and you will see slight uneven pad transfer to the disc the first session out.

Either way, they are both fantastic setups!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt3'er
Hey Mike,

Scott and I will be at TH on Friday, praying for no rain. How about you??
Awesome! The silver GT3's will be in full force then! Which run group are you guys running in? I was thinking about doing novice since there will only be a couple people in that group and its $40-50 buck cheaper. I'm so poor. LOL.

BTW, looking forward to the feedback on the PFC stuff. I think i'm going to try them next after i wear through my Pagid's and Cup rotors.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mike, send Doug an email suggesting you are a great customer and NEED to do the SP event. He might be able to squeeze you in. Scott and I just got in and we'd like to see you there.

Colby, see you Friday. Unfortunately, looks like rain. But, we'll have a good time anyway.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Originally Posted by robmug
Where from? I think we've established that it's not Fearnsport...
I posted earlier in this thread......

"From your side of the pond.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...215957224&rd=1

$190 front $65 rear Now that was a bargain!"

And yes they are genuine items....

I fitted the PFC set up that Andy Fearns supplied, rounded off with a new set of standard rear rotors, which are still going strong.

BTW PF UK are based near Banbury, not far from Fearnsport and have a very helpful Tech Department.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old thread yet....

I will be stocking these - due to arrive before the end of March

Quick Reply: PFC direct drive rotor weight vs. Cup rotors