Sponsored by:

Few questions for a noobie. Just got a GT3 today

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions for a noobie. Just got a GT3 today

I did a few searches but have not turned up the answers I was looking for.

Today I just picked up my 04 GT3

I am trying to get my hands around everything, but have a few Q's

The car has the Michelin PS N2 but some wear on the fronts (rears are newish) I was wondering if you can rotate these by taking the tires off the wheels and going from FR to FL and FL to FR.... it would be no big deal typically, but I noticed a imprint on the tire that said "OUTSIDE" I assume this means no rotating. Is this the case, or does anyone have experience with this.

The manual states 3 or 4 different oil types and the car recently had the 30K service (at 24K miles) but was wondering the best Mobile 1 to use to top off. What would the dealer put in on a 30K mile service.

The manual states 32 and 39 tire pressure, but what have people found is the best for the track? on the PS N2 tires?

Thanks for the help and sorry for so many Qs on post #1 in this forum.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think outside is outside so no rotating. Tread patterns are always backward on one side though since there isn't a right/left tire.

Change the oil and brake fluid on your new baby and don't worry about topping it off with the wrong kind/weight.

On the track I find that 38 PSI hot is good and at 40 things start to get greasy. A small differential with the fronts slightly lower is often preferred but I can't tell the difference on the track (except when the pressure gets above 40.

Enjoy the car and welcome to the board!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Like Jim H said, don't let PS2 go over 40psi hot for the track. Depending on how you drive, you should adjust accordingly. Porsche dealers use only Mobil 1 so if the car has been serviced at Porsche dealer, it has Mobil 1 in it.

Welcome to the club! Post up more pictures! Car looks great. It came with cage already?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sigh, I hate to be the bearer but this car has been talked about. I hope you got a really good price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/405313-anyone-know-this-gt3-my-friend-just-bought-it.html
Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I got it for $65,350. Although possibly a mistake in buying it, it seemed like a good deal despite a few little issues here and there. I did not get a PPI as I got a copy of a 09/19/07 Certified Pre-Owned inspection checklist that showed a clean bill of health. At 6/1/07 it had a 30k service plugs and brakes. The CPO inspection showed no collision damage, but I did get some docs that the chin spoiler was replaced.

It has the wrong battery, the shifter is cracked, front tires are just ok, a few rock chips up front as pointed out by others. Seemed like a really good deal at that price with the roll cage, seats and Eibach 0800.225.0700 springs. (not sure what those are)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32
Old 02-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

[QUOTE=datax;5107888]Like Jim H said, don't let PS2 go over 40psi hot for the track. Depending on how you drive, you should adjust accordingly. Porsche dealers use only Mobil 1 so if the car has been serviced at Porsche dealer, it has Mobil 1 in it.

Thanks for the help. the confusing part is that the manual says on page 117.
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/p...anual_2004.pdf

0W-40
5W-40
5W-50

I was just wondering which is typical for dealers in the South. I assume 5W-40, but not sure on this.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

1. The PS2's can be on either side of the car. But since they have an "outside" the tire cannot be flipped on the wheel. So if you are wearing the outside on the left side chances are you are doing the same on the right. Understand that part of the ownership is replacing tires ALOT!

2. Pressures of 32/39 are great for the street. As far as the track shoot for 36-38 all around. As others have noted, once you hit 40 grip is optimal but drops QUICKLY n the other side of 40....VERY GREASSY!

3. Get it properly corner balanced and aligned and it will be a joy to drive!

4. Use Mobil1 0W-40 in the car. We can't get the 5W-50 here in the states otherwise that would be a good choice as well.

5. Maybe it was a mistake to PAY that price but not buy the car Put it behind you since the deal is already complete. Just understand that the guys here know ALOT about these cars and the history about alot of the small number of GT3's made so ask questions!!!

6. What are you referring to when you say "CPO inspection"? That doesn't look like a Porche dealer and they are the ONLY one's that offer the CPO warranty. No used car dealer can sell a CPO car.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Right. It was not sold as a CPO car, but WAS offered as a CPO from the Momentum Porsche. I even have the full CPO docs and certificate (just not signed). They have the full inspection report filled out with a history report showing that it was done 09/07. Supposedly Momentum Porsche lost interest in selling the car after a few months and sold it to Expo Motorcars to move it. It is not a CPO car as it was not sold from a Porsche dealer

Last edited by Martin Bishop; 02-15-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure I follow. So did Momentum CPO the car or just go through the "checklist"? If just the checklist then it was NOT certified and is nothing more than face validity. If they did certify it then they spent almost $2K for nothing if they just unloaded it to Expo.

Either way, you got what you wanted and now it's time to start enjoying it!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

Not sure. All I know is that I have all the docs and full marketing kit that comes with a CPO car, plus service records including some 4 pages of stuff they did to the car for the CPO. Then a few months later they dumped it to Expo, and because it was sold by Expo and not Momentum... it is not a "CPO". Clear as mud as you can see :-)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Roscoe
Instructor

Originally Posted by wilfred
Sigh, I hate to be the bearer but this car has been talked about. I hope you got a really good price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405313
great way to make him feel good about a new purchase.... geeze ! Martin, enjoy it ! you will have plenty of fun for sure and welcome to the club.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM
JMeager
Advanced

Hey Martin,
Enjoy the car and forget about the negative attitudes. They are pretty much bulletproof and you are expecting to pay a little to clean it up, or like me, maybe your car isn't a garage queen?!

In regards to alignment. Get it aligned as it's important to confident handling, but as mentioned make sure you get its ride heights reset / and corner weighted for the utmost accuracy. Even if its only for road use get it done. The difference my car had after getting the ride height reset and the rake restored (they settle at the rear over time) was amazing, night and day. At speed now it's glued to the road rather than feeling like a Boeing about to take off!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-15-2008, 12:45 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Martin Bishop
I got it for $65,350...
Martin,
Only you can say if it is worth it.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:27 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Roscoe
great way to make him feel good about a new purchase.... geeze ! Martin, enjoy it ! you will have plenty of fun for sure and welcome to the club.
Excuse me for being straight forward. But I came to these forums to learn or share about these cars. In this case, I happened to have read about this particular vehicle the OP have just bought. It might not be the thing he wants to hear but at least he knows to get an alignment before spending $1k on new tires.

So was my post rude, childlish, or sarcastic in anyway? I think not. If anything, I think my post did contribute in a sense so the OP is now aware of some problem he may or may not be aware of...

OK, I shall turn off this soap stuff now
Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,487 Likes on 2,077 Posts

I'm with Wilfred. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with rather than stick my head in the sand. What's done is done, let's move on and fix anything that needs to be fixed and have fun. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Quick Reply: Few questions for a noobie. Just got a GT3 today