Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If not a mistake Killer deal on headers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If not a mistake Killer deal on headers.

This came up on a ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS:MOTORS:1123

Has to be something wrong.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Crappy, asian made, knock off piece off junk. Not even worth the $89 they want for them. When a vendor REFUSES to allow pick-ups, refuses to take eBay email and instead uses a hotmail account, overcharges shipping and then refuses to refund if their mistake, and states ALL SALES FINAL SINCE SOLD UNDER COST, then you do the math, you are getting taken.

Are you really serious that you honestly believed for a second that these are "killer" headers?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Friend using a set has been pleased fyi...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

i bought a set for my car just to see how they'd work out; not much to lose. they came in under a week & look pretty well made. the only difference between these and a high end set is the alloy; these look like 303SS instead of 304. haven't installed them yet.....
Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Glen
Friend using a set has been pleased fyi...
How exactly do you report you are "pleased" with a set of headers? Shouldn't this be a part that actually has some performance value? I'm willing to bet these don't even do the job the stock ones do. To each his own though.

Originally Posted by insite
i bought a set for my car just to see how they'd work out; not much to lose. they came in under a week & look pretty well made. the only difference between these and a high end set is the alloy; these look like 303SS instead of 304. haven't installed them yet.....
What do you mean not much to lose? So they sell you a product that isn't the T304 they claim and you are fine with that?

I guess companies like this stay in business if there are enough people that say "what the hell, I'll toss $150 at even if it is a piece of junk".
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 PM
lightguy
Racer

.... but they have that amazing 30 day warranty.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Trending Topics

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm with Dell on this one. Why would you buy such a cheap part for a $100kish car? Me confused. You're better off keeping the stock header.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aren't the GT3 stock headers 48mm? I believe that the ones being referenced here are 44.5mm. I keep hearing that bigger is better

BTW: I have been looking all over for someone who makes headers for our cars that have bigger primary tubes then 48mm ?????? anybody?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$90 is a lot of money in China. The header probably costs $5 tops to manufacture. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality were quite reasonable.

It's a pity we're so used to paying high prices for overpriced Porsche parts, that we expect to pay the high prices, and if a part is too cheap, we get suspicious.

This isn't to say the eBay headers aren't crap/poor quality, but I think it's better to throw caution to the wind rather than write them off without seeing them.

I still can't fully rationalise why a full set of Koni or Bilstein adjustable suspension on a Honda Civic costs £400, whereas a set of similar suspension for the 911 costs >£1600. In reality, suspension technology between the big manufacturers Koni/KW/Bilstein is not so different between their 2/3 way adjustable shocks.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 PM
john0719
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Crappy, asian made, knock off piece off junk. Not even worth the $89 they want for them. When a vendor REFUSES to allow pick-ups, refuses to take eBay email and instead uses a hotmail account, overcharges shipping and then refuses to refund if their mistake, and states ALL SALES FINAL SINCE SOLD UNDER COST, then you do the math, you are getting taken.

Are you really serious that you honestly believed for a second that these are "killer" headers?
How do you know specifically it's Asian made? Even if they are Asian made, right away you insist it's crap just because it's cheap in price??? Though Asian countries supply (especially China) the world with goods ranging from electronics to automotive parts, not all are pieces of junk. How do you think you can enjoy goods at minimal prices these days when you had to pay an arm and a leg for it in the past?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have ONE real 996 GT3 Factory header if anyone needs it . its a factory take off after my 996 GT3 got the full Manthey treatment the part # is 996 111 101 93 12/03
PM me or email me, paulgt3@gmail.com
not looking for a fortune.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

They work on a GT2 also!

Maybe that's where they got the "30+ HP increases".

Too much BS in their ad to believe anything they say IMO.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by john0719
How do you know specifically it's Asian made? Even if they are Asian made, right away you insist it's crap just because it's cheap in price??? Though Asian countries supply (especially China) the world with goods ranging from electronics to automotive parts, not all are pieces of junk. How do you think you can enjoy goods at minimal prices these days when you had to pay an arm and a leg for it in the past?
Sorry if I touched a nerve. My favorite goods they supply that we can "enjoy" is all the toxic painted toys that are bought for our children. Absolutely no regard. When you sell cheap, you assemble cheap and you construct with dollar in mind first not optimal applicability.

There is a reason goods cost more when "Made in the USA"....b/c we don't chain our employees to a f'in desk until they produce a zillion of "x" product in their 20 hour workday and pay them a nickel when it's over. Oh yeah, there is some things we afford our employees called workers comp, insurance, benefits, fair labor practices, minimum wage, time off more than one weekend a year, etc, etc, etc.. Don't turn this into a manufacturing debate or you will loose.

I will admit, Americans are the first to turn a blind eye to get a sweet pair of sneakers knowing damn well where they come from and what makes Phil Knight so rich.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:01 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
$90 is a lot of money in China. The header probably costs $5 tops to manufacture. It wouldn't surprise me if the quality were quite reasonable.

It's a pity we're so used to paying high prices for overpriced Porsche parts, that we expect to pay the high prices, and if a part is too cheap, we get suspicious.

This isn't to say the eBay headers aren't crap/poor quality, but I think it's better to throw caution to the wind rather than write them off without seeing them.

I still can't fully rationalise why a full set of Koni or Bilstein adjustable suspension on a Honda Civic costs £400, whereas a set of similar suspension for the 911 costs >£1600. In reality, suspension technology between the big manufacturers Koni/KW/Bilstein is not so different between their 2/3 way adjustable shocks.
I think the deciding factor for me would be that if the seller does not allow pickups at their establishment or returns for any reason, then no way do I buy. I am sure that any country can produce a quality product, but if that's the case they'd stand behind it and not play games.

Besides, for that price I assumed the headers were the actual size in the photo.

Quick Reply: If not a mistake Killer deal on headers.