Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio and Factory Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio and Factory Alarm System

So my new to me 996 GT3 came with an aftermarket Alpine radio head unit... Previous owner decided it would be cool to have an aftermarket radio.

Anyway, do you guys know if an aftermarket radio can cause interference/issues to the factory alarm system, DME, computer, etc? I haven't tested the factory alarm yet nor am I experiencing any weird behaviors.

And the car was bought from a dealership who CPO'd it so I'm guessing everything should be fine, and no fault codes, but you never know. I'm a bit surprised it even passed CPO with an aftermarket radio?

Anyone interested in a really nice, brand new Alpine radio with seamless ipod integration? I'll gladly ship it to you (on my $) in exchange for your nasty old factory radio
Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't see what the radio would have to do with anything. It has an anti theft feature, but that should apply to the radio only....ie: once plugged back in, you have to enter a code on the radio for it to work. It should have no effect on the factory alarm, or any other alarm for that matter.

BUT........if you really want a stock radio, shoot the the details of the Alpine unit (model number, etc.). I may swap ya.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 AM
ex10psi
Racer

I tested the alarm system today and all is well. Again, I am excessively paranoid and slightly (ok understatement) ocd about these things.

ArcticFox, you've got PM about the radio swap if you're still interested...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ex10psi
So my new to me 996 GT3 came with an aftermarket Alpine radio head unit... Previous owner decided it would be cool to have an aftermarket radio.

Anyway, do you guys know if an aftermarket radio can cause interference/issues to the factory alarm system, DME, computer, etc? I haven't tested the factory alarm yet nor am I experiencing any weird behaviors.

And the car was bought from a dealership who CPO'd it so I'm guessing everything should be fine, and no fault codes, but you never know. I'm a bit surprised it even passed CPO with an aftermarket radio?

Anyone interested in a really nice, brand new Alpine radio with seamless ipod integration? I'll gladly ship it to you (on my $) in exchange for your nasty old factory radio
How is it wired? does it hook into OEM speaker wires/MOST, or did they run new wires? I'm starting to miss my ipod! TIA Kyle
Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
How is it wired? does it hook into OEM speaker wires/MOST, or did they run new wires? I'm starting to miss my ipod! TIA Kyle
I called the dealership and they indeed requested to have the aftermarket with ipod cable installed in the car during CPO process... apparently the factory radio was broken when they took the car in.

The dealership does not do stereo work, so they had a specialty shop in Redmond, WA do the work. I called this shop and spoke to the owner who explained that it was nothing more than a head unit and ipod cable install, no running wires, nothing special about the install.

He also assured me there was no hacking of wires, and that they install in such a manner that everything could go back to factory very easily. Unfortunately, no further details but the shop does a lot of work for the Porsche dealership and work on very high end cars. I plan to pull out the deck and confirm for myself.

ArcticFox is first in line for the swap then you... thanks for the interest
Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I called the dealership and they indeed requested to have the aftermarket with ipod cable installed in the car during CPO process... apparently the factory radio was broken when they took the car in.

The dealership does not do stereo work, so they had a specialty shop in Redmond, WA do the work. I called this shop and spoke to the owner who explained that it was nothing more than a head unit and ipod cable install, no running wires, nothing special about the install.

He also assured me there was no hacking of wires, and that they install in such a manner that everything could go back to factory very easily. Unfortunately, no further details but the shop does a lot of work for the Porsche dealership and work on very high end cars. I plan to pull out the deck and confirm for myself.

If you do take it out, a pic of the connections would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:45 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

ArcticFox is going to pass on this....thanks for all the info though.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was more complex than that as there was no switched live in the wiring harness (normally taken from aircon panel) and something else has to be bypassed for the aircon to keep working?? Anyone confirm?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:12 AM
ex10psi
Racer

Hey all, I decided to keep the Alpine stereo. I took the deck out and it was installed very clean. Apologize, I cannot speak on the technical details about how it was wired up but I can say that everything was connected via a "plug". No chopped wires, etc... everything is very clean.

I decided to keep it because it's not worth the hassle of pulling it all out and putting in the stock radio. I'd rather spend my energy preppin this beast for the upcoming track season
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I decided to keep it because it's not worth the hassle of pulling it all out and putting in the stock radio. I'd rather spend my energy preppin this beast for the upcoming track season
YEAH MAN!!!!!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radio and Factory Alarm System