Sponsored by:

help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008 | 01:44 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Default help!

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and about to sign papers on an '05 GT3 with 8400 miles. I noticed that the rear decklid is misaligned, the seams are off by about 1/8". I have thoroughly inspected the engine compartment for signs of bodywork...and nothing. The dealer said that it has never been in an accident and if it had, they would have sent the car to auction. I kind of believe them because the car is in excellent condition, is it possible that it came from the factory this way?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:03 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Take it to an independent, non-biased, high end body shop near you and have them inspect the entire car for repaint, body work, accidents...

Also, PM me the VIN and I'll run a carfax report for you (if you haven't done that already).
Old 01-30-2008 | 02:14 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will do that today! I have already run a Carfax and it came-up clean.
Old 01-30-2008 | 03:45 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Is it CPO?

Did you have a PPI done?
Old 01-30-2008 | 03:47 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmla
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and about to sign papers on an '05 GT3 with 8400 miles. I noticed that the rear decklid is misaligned, the seams are off by about 1/8". I have thoroughly inspected the engine compartment for signs of bodywork...and nothing. The dealer said that it has never been in an accident and if it had, they would have sent the car to auction. I kind of believe them because the car is in excellent condition, is it possible that it came from the factory this way?

Thanks in advance!

If they are a dealer, they should have a paint thickness gauge. Politely ask the used car manager to do a measurement. All metal panels should be within .5 or so of each other, usually the readings are 3.5-4.5. If you see the readings jump to 6 or 7 or higher it usually means paintwork. Sometimes body shops will replace a damaged panel or fender so that the paint thickness is consistent with factory levels...however if this is done you will normally see where attachment bolts have been turned. I also agree with the previous post about having an independent inspection done. The dealer can wait.

A common type of accident (especially on the track) is a spin and the rear end clocks a wall or fence.
Old 01-30-2008 | 04:04 PM
Jetmech
Racer

Take $5000.00 off the price and fix it your self and drive her like you stole her!!!
Old 01-30-2008 | 04:07 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW, yes it could have come from the factory that way. But all the above advice is good, expecially the paint thickness guage.
Old 01-30-2008 | 05:14 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jetmech
Take $5000.00 off the price and fix it your self and drive her like you stole her!!!
5 grand wouldn't be enough for me in this situation....I'd want to know if the car has seen the bodyshop.
Old 01-30-2008 | 05:44 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holger B
Is it CPO?

Did you have a PPI done?
The dealer refused to CPO the car because it has an RS single mass flywheel/pressure plate, Tubi mufflers and a BMC filter. They already did a PPI and smogged it when it came in on trade, no type II's. Still under factory warranty until 12/30/08. I am trying to get in-touch with the previous owner, I have already spoken to the shop that installed the mods and everything checks out.

I thank everyone for their feedback!
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That's BS that they can't CPO it. They put those parts in customer cars ALL THE DAMN TIME while under warranty. Sounds like the dealer refused to CPO it b/c there is something that prevents it.....DAMAGE!
Old 01-31-2008 | 12:03 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by jmla
They already did a PPI
They're the seller, so I'd ignore what they say and gladly pay to have a 3rd party check it out (indy or other dealer). If they have a problem with that, take your money elsewhere. Lots of nice 3's out there for sale, no reason to buy something questionable.
Old 01-31-2008 | 12:15 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
If they are a dealer, they should have a paint thickness gauge. Politely ask the used car manager to do a measurement. All metal panels should be within .5 or so of each other, usually the readings are 3.5-4.5. If you see the readings jump to 6 or 7 or higher it usually means paintwork. Sometimes body shops will replace a damaged panel or fender so that the paint thickness is consistent with factory levels...however if this is done you will normally see where attachment bolts have been turned. I also agree with the previous post about having an independent inspection done. The dealer can wait.

A common type of accident (especially on the track) is a spin and the rear end clocks a wall or fence.
I had the dealer doing the PPI check the paint thickness as well even though mine had 980 miles on it. It was worth every penny.
Old 01-31-2008 | 12:32 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I had the dealer doing the PPI check the paint thickness as well even though mine had 980 miles on it. It was worth every penny.

And also cheers to Ron Dagenio for the numbers.

Now I have seen a few 911's in my time and I can show you tons of non perfectly aligned deck lids, it's the nature, especially when the shocks are brand new or totally spent. You can walk up a to a perfect GT3, pull on the wing in one direction and the decklid will skew. So what? They go like hell and it's a machine. If it's been stacked, see if it was hit hard, are the rails original? Look for the putty and it will tell you. Does it align? Have them prove it. CPO's are awesome btw.

Seacrest out.
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

1. if no type 2, car SEEMS to not have been abused.
2. you need a 3rd party to see if it has had accident. a body shop will be able to tell. if a good body shop cannot tell, then either it had no accident or repaired so well that's not a prob
3. dealer is giving you BS. if they wanted to, they can CPO a rock. it's just paperwork. i mean this seriously.
4. technically, dealer cannot CPO cars with accident, but I KNOW FOR A FACT dealers sometime will do it. a friend of mine drove my car into a wall, fixed it, sold it to dealer. then it got certified. the repair bill was 14,000, so it was not a small repair.

basically, be cautious and trust no one.
Old 01-31-2008 | 02:19 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

NO bodywork was confirmed, picked it up last night. I am sooo excited/nervous...I think I am going to vomit! Only have dealer pics, more to follow.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: help!