Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I have my car back now Ron?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain_B
Can I have my car back now Ron?
Uhh, errr, mmmm, yeah, it's ummm, I got you a 30K service for your birthday, YEAH, THAT'S IT!!!.....it'll be done next week....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to revive this thread. With all of this lift talk, I really want to install one at my track garage. I was originally thinking scissor lift, but am now looking at 2-post as the price points are pretty good.

My usage would be fluid changes, tire changes, suspension work and maybe some light engine work.

What do you think? Scissor or 2-post? Which brands?

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 02-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
It always bothers me when I read that you can install these lifts on a 4inch slab. It reallty depends on the concrete and rebar in the slab and unless it's new you don't really know what's in the mix. You're going to being putting over 3,500 lbs. on 2 or 4 little feet. I would absolutely cut out and pour a 2ft. x 2ft.x 2ft deep footing with a healthy #5 bar grid and dowels into or under the surrounding slab. I would also use 16" deep anchor bolts into this footing. Of course I'm in So Cal where we got a whole lot of shakin goin on....
Call me crazy, but what is the difference of just driving your car in the garage and parking it on your 4 tires?(Feet) SUV's are 6k+ pounds and have 4 tire contact patches or feet, about the same area as a 4 post lift.
Now the earthquake stuff I'm in agreement.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I want to revive this thread. With all of this lift talk, I really want to install one at my track garage. I was originally thinking scissor lift, but am now looking at 2-post as the price points are pretty good.

My usage would be fluid changes, tire changes, suspension work and maybe some light engine work.

What do you think? Scissor or 2-post? Which brands?

Thanks,
-Blake
I have an Eagle Equipment scissor lift, and it has been more than adequate for all your listed projects. However, haven't done anything I'd call "light engine work." The closest to that is I changed out my mufflers, and installed WEVO motor mounts.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 02-13-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This company in Fort Worth offers custom built 1, 2, and 4 post lifts.
Both Chinese and their own fabricated lifts.
Spoke to someone there who said they had to start offering Chinese to stay in business.
I'm looking for a 2 post.
Custom built US lift = $2500
Chinese = $1500

http://www.geminilift.com/
Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Call me crazy, but what is the difference of just driving your car in the garage and parking it on your 4 tires?(Feet) SUV's are 6k+ pounds and have 4 tire contact patches or feet, about the same area as a 4 post lift.
Now the earthquake stuff I'm in agreement.

With a two post lift you have the possibility of non-uniform loading which will 'twist' the mounting plate- a failure there and you car can fall on you, another car or out the garage wall! Earthquake or not.

4 post lifts- heck, I'd put that on road base, gravel, asphalt... not much danger there.

I'd cut the slab out from one side to the other- and pour a monolithic piece that include both posts- go down as far as you can 3x3x3 on each anchor....- 2-3 yards of concrete isn't very expensive and creates huge mass. Full blown anchor bolts that are mechanically locked into the mix, rebar too. None of this drilling holes and placing anchor bolts.

Also, new concrete can let you run conduit for whatever you might need side to side.

Quick Reply: garage lift