Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The debated decals (Photos of my 996 GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:10 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maximu5
Adrien,

you write you have the Manthey suspension. I take it you have the Manthey top struts and the KW shock absorbers, but did you also have the full Manthey uniball kit fitted ? If so, what do you think of it ?

Tom
I had the uniball kit fitted: definitely a less resilient ride over the bumps, but there is zero slop/deflection mid turn and the steering is ultra precise. For a track car, I think it's worth it.

Originally Posted by MM-Racing
Maximu 5 / Adrien

What is the price per pair and what difference in braking vs stock ones of MK2 (350 mm) ?
do they have in the rear as well?
Adrien
"MR" is k440 +60 ps, 3,9 l engine
The larger diameter (360mm) is what gives the biggest gain in braking force. The difference is between 'wow, awesome brakes' for a passenger... to 'OMG, I'm nauseous'. I was advised by Manthey that the MR designation was correct for my car.

The 2.5k price includes the 6pot calipers which a Mk2 owner will not need.

Last edited by zoomzoom; 12-30-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)

Adrien,

mailed you at the old EY address. Is this still correct ?

Tom
Old 12-30-2007, 12:58 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by maximu5
Adrien,

mailed you at the old EY address. Is this still correct ?

Tom
Nope, I left them 6 months ago! YHM.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:54 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Yep - as recommended by Olaf, and the increase in drag is quite noticeable.

4 degrees for general track use
8 degrees when very wet
no shims when going for vmax

8 degrees knocks about 20mph off the vmax! But the increase in back grip and confidence when wet is very reassuring... like taking the fast double left hander Pouhon at Spa!
Excellent points. I run the stock wing, but played with the shims alot during the Sept/Oct months. Your findings match my own. I run the 8 in the rain, and the 4 the rest of the time. When someone gets pushy with me on the straights, I swap the shims out and get an extra 5-10 mph.

-B
Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been running the 4 degree shims with the RS CF wing but will be moving to the 8 degree shims to get that little extra downforce that is coveted. I'm willing to give up a mph or two on the straights to get better grip in the high speed uphill esses and approaching the braking zone at T1 (VIR).
Old 12-30-2007, 03:08 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Smart move Dell. When I run full track at MMP with the .8 mile main straight, it is good to get that extra speed. Taking 20mph off the top end with the 8 degree compromises too much. It really depends on the track.

Hope all is well with you and your family in NC.

-B
Old 12-30-2007, 03:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Considering MMP is freakishly long and little elevation change I'd probably run the 4 degree shims or maybe even none. Our back straight at VIR though is 3/4 mile but UPHILL at the second half where the crappy gearing in the GT3 struggles Every once in a while if I nail Oak Tree I can cross the 155 mark but for the most part I'm in the low 150's.

Family is well! Great Christmas with the new little one
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

ps. why does it say on the MMP website that the front straight is only 3500ft? That's only 2/3 of a mile.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

You got me Dell. For two years I have been telling everyone MMP is .8 miles on the front straight, and it is only .67 miles. I stand corrected.

I will say that the staight is so long and wide that one could probably finish a tall Starbuck's coffee before reaching the next turn....

So do you think you will ever make it out to MMP in 2008?
-B
Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
The larger diameter (360mm) is what gives the biggest gain in braking force. The difference is between 'wow, awesome brakes' for a passenger... to 'OMG, I'm nauseous'. I was advised by Manthey that the MR designation was correct for my car.

The 2.5k price includes the 6pot calipers which a Mk2 owner will not need.
NOw it sounds more reasonably. 1,4 k withe 3-4 times longer.
Adrien do you think that difference between 350 and 360 has so big impact on braking performance. And Alcons are floated disc?

What pads do you use to alcons? Im thinking about PFC 01/097.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
You got me Dell. For two years I have been telling everyone MMP is .8 miles on the front straight, and it is only .67 miles. I stand corrected.

I will say that the staight is so long and wide that one could probably finish a tall Starbuck's coffee before reaching the next turn....

So do you think you will ever make it out to MMP in 2008?
-B
I'd love to but damn this is a long tow!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by MM-Racing
NOw it sounds more reasonably. 1,4 k withe 3-4 times longer.
Adrien do you think that difference between 350 and 360 has so big impact on braking performance. And Alcons are floated disc?

What pads do you use to alcons? Im thinking about PFC 01/097.
I have no empirical evidence for the increase in brake force leverage, but I'm guessing it will be some factor of the increase squared. The Alcons are a floating disc, and they are spring mounted which makes them silent in operation. (unlike the comparable Brembo floating discs which rattle like your gearbox is going to drop on the floor! )

I've been using RS29s which have been superb once up to temp. My current Alcons have lasted me about 20 trackdays spread over the course of about 20k road miles yet appear only about 1/3 worn. They still operate silently and I have not noticed any extra movement/wear across the bells. I am only on my second set of RS29s over that same distance... but I think that is as much a factor of me learning to brake lighter and lighter as I've tried hard to improve my braking technique.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:25 AM
rvg60
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also swapped to Alcons, 6 pots and RS 29s. Confirm Ade's comments that after a "season" there is hardly any wear on the discs and the braking power & feel is immense. I was mucking around at Spa earlier this year and found that at the end of the Kemmel straight (over 150 mph) I could brake well within 100m and still get round (in a fashion!).

But this wing business has got me thinking - Damn that Adrian guy
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Originally Posted by rvg60
I've also swapped to Alcons, 6 pots and RS 29s. Confirm Ade's comments that after a "season" there is hardly any wear on the discs and the braking power & feel is immense. I was mucking around at Spa earlier this year and found that at the end of the Kemmel straight (over 150 mph) I could brake well within 100m and still get round (in a fashion!).

But this wing business has got me thinking - Damn that Adrian guy
The other great test: end of the Parabola at Hockenheim into the hairpin... down from 160 to a 1st/2nd gear 180 degree hairpin... Even after a whole day lapping there in mid 20deg C weather, the Alcons were rock solid with zero fade.

Always happy to help those afflicted down that slope!

The Mk1 needed more rear downforce... hence change on the Mk1 Cup car to Big Wing spec in 2000... once you make the change Ric, you will never look back!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 PM
rvg60
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be gone u orrible man!

Quick Reply: The debated decals (Photos of my 996 GT3)