Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels to GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:07 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure where a quote of $3K came from for CCWs. In reality, CCW Classic 3-Piece Race wheels are only $2200 a set (a little more with the optional finishes). This is after the recent price increase, still cheaper than any 3-piece wheel out there. The 1-piece C14's start at $2600 a set.

One advantage to a 3-piece wheel over a 1-piece is the availability of offsets. With a 3-piece wheel, the center is always the same. Inner and outer rim halves can vary in width by 1/4" or about 6mm. So you will always be within 6mm of your target offset for any wheel width. With a 1-piece wheel, the offset is determined by the mold. The only way they can make a different offset is to make another mold. Since the molds are very expensive, especially for a forged, they make very few offsets per wheel width.

Why not TE37s? Price and fitting. When I looked for a set of wheels, I could only get a TE37 with an 8.5" wide wheel up front. I am assuming those are the wheels John is mentioning since they are the only Volk that is that light for an 18" wheel. $2500 is a great price for these wheels. When I looked, the cheapest price was $3200 a set of 18x8.5"/18x11.0" wheels. Getting a custom build set of 3-piece wheels with the exact widths and offsets I wanted for $1000 less was a no brainer.

Who cares what they look like if they are just race wheels? Buying a set of dedicated race wheels is spending money for a performance improvement. If a more expensive wheel doesn't give you a performance improvement, you are spending money just to spend money. I went with the optional shotpeened and Clear-Annodized finish on my wheel centers not because I like it better, rather because they were the only Porsche centers he had in stock (only a $50 option pet set). Otherwise I would of waited 3-5 weeks for the standard polished finish. I don't care if my race wheels nicks and scratches on them as they are just for the track. If one gets bent, I have the advantage with a 3-piece wheel that I only have to replace an outer rim half; which is a fraction of the cost of a new wheel.

The only wheels I've ever seen issues with are Forgelines. The Forgeline RS 2-piece welded wheels are terrible. They crack at the welds from heavy track use. Forgeline would repair them under warranty, but their turn around was 6 weeks. I saw a set crack for a second time within 3 months of being re-welded. Forgeline got smart and discontinued them, offering only 3-piece wheels instead.

It is possible to run a 18x12.0" wheel with a 335/30-18 tire on a narrow body 996. Unlike a 997 Narrow body where this is a normal fitting, you will need some mods to do this without rubbing. The first issue is you have to eliminate the bushing flex. You don't realize how much the rear suspension shifts under hard cornering. Going to solid metal bushings and monoballs eliminates the flex. The only other thing that needs to be done is some very minor fender rolling. The downside to this is a lot more harshness on the street. Every bump transmits through the car. Bump steer is far more previlent. This works well for a full time track car, but is not the best for one driven on the street. With this setup the car will react a lot quicker. I know 2 people running this setup on cars which are now strictly for the track. One is running Fikse FM5s.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 12-23-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,770 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I'm not sure where a quote of $3K came from for CCWs.
C10 and C14 are much stronger than classics and lighter (per CCW) and are one piece forged, not 3pcs. In reality, CCW Classic 3-Piece Race wheels are only $2200 a set (a little more with the optional finishes). This is after the recent price increase, still cheaper than any 3-piece wheel out there. The 1-piece C14's start at $2600 a set.

One advantage to a 3-piece wheel over a 1-piece is the availability of offsets.

With a 1-piece wheel, the offset is determined by the mold.

The only way they can make a different offset is to make another mold. Since the molds are very expensive, especially for a forged, they make very few offsets per wheel width.

agree with your assessment of volks. you can easily stuff 9" and 12" in GT3's.

LOL, speaking of "repairs"... if i damage a wheel, i buy a new one. i had my fikses repaired several times. turn around was 4+ weeks. in that period i may have bought and set up another track car. as far as i am concerned 4+ week of turn around time is not acceptable. my attention span is no more than 10 min in just about anything i do. CCW are made to order in less than 7 days. and even then, i find that to be too long.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
GT3'sRFree
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wheels

If you are still looking, I have a set of OEM 996 GT3 wheels for sale?

Adam
Old 01-18-2008, 08:21 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
CCW are made to order in less than 7 days. and even then, i find that to be too long.
John you are so funny and that's why you have 2 track cars, 4 or 5 sets of wheels, tires, rotors brake pads, GT3 seats...... If something goes, your back out in no time. Way to go!!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CWay27
John you are so funny and that's why you have 2 track cars, 4 or 5 sets of wheels, tires, rotors brake pads, GT3 seats...... If something goes, your back out in no time. Way to go!!
ok, i lied, my new C10 arrived 14 calendar days from the day of my order, not 7. powder coating wasted lots of time.

you think i am funny, my wife thinks i am insane, borderline psychotic.
you weren't joking that i go back and out in no time.
last year i had 3 days at TH. i had moton on cay s. well, something went totally wrong with the suspension, collapsed. towed to dealer by AAA. borrowed a box s from dealer, drove home, took GT3 drove back up TH and continued sat and sunday. wife was pissed.

and i thought for fun, i took the following pix: i always fear one isn't enough...

two air pressure gauges.
7 bottles of brake fluid, that's after 5 bottles consumed.
2 power bleeders, who knows, one may fail just when i need it.
8 brake rotors
2 helmets and 3 tow hooks, there are already hooks installed on the car, these are spares.
spare fire ext.
a lot of rubber.

i NEED HELP.
a lot of pagids, and those toyota filters were for lotus.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You need help my friend.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

You need a trailer!!! The guy who bought mine, just bought a race car with a trailer, so the one he bought from me is for sale.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Now that's what I call stocking up..... You can never have too many consumables!!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 AM
SilverBlue
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,

Yes, you are certifiably sick. But you still have my envy!

John G.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

One advantage to a 3-piece wheel over a 1-piece is the availability of offsets.

With a 1-piece wheel, the offset is determined by the mold.
Very true and another thing is that 1 piece should technically be stronger than 3 depending upon how its implemented... Mooty, you have me very interested in the CCW stuff for the track guys. If you can't bend/break them then that really does say something!

PS Groub buys on Brake fluid and Pads over at Mooty's!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

[QUOTE=mooty;5001061]ok, i lied, my new C10 arrived 14 calendar days from the day of my order, not 7. powder coating wasted lots of time.

Hoe about some pics of the new wheels? I visited CCW when I went to Rennsport and was impressed with the wheels. I'd like to powdercoat them black, to go with my SY 6GT3. Are you happy with the powder coat job?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

[QUOTE=TurboCup87;5003339]
ok, i lied, my new C10 arrived 14 calendar days from the day of my order, not 7. powder coating wasted lots of time.

Hoe about some pics of the new wheels? I visited CCW when I went to Rennsport and was impressed with the wheels. I'd like to powdercoat them black, to go with my SY 6GT3. Are you happy with the powder coat job?
I have powdercoated Forgelines, and am happy with them. I run naked CCWs on the track to better clean them up after.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=TurboCup87;5003339]

see here, one of the last posts on the page
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/404197-white-gt3s-with-black-rims-pictures-needed.html

i have both C10 and C14.
C14 is annodized
C10 is powdercoated, C10 if anno'd will look flat.

the powder coat is not perfect, but it is what it is, a great lwt track wheel. if you want it to be perfect, fikse can be had for about $5k. i am happy with all my CCW's
Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

moty you know how i feel about your sickness!

Quick Reply: wheels to GT3