Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts
Default CPO Question

Hello All-

I am the original owner of my car and it is fast approaching its 4 year anniversary - June next year. Does anyone know off hand if I can purchase a Porsche CPO warranty on the car from a local dealer or the selling dealer. Or is the CPO warranty only available when buying a used car from a dealership.

My car only has 6,500 miles on it. I have made modifications but only with Porsche parts (RS flywheel, Cup rear toe links, RS rear adjustable arms, 993 RS engine mounts....no aftermarket parts.)

Thanks in advance.
Chet
Old 10-31-2007, 05:41 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Car looks great in the blue/black.

2. Every dealer I've talked to says the warranty is only available via a sales transaction on the car. One indicated they could probably work something out with an artifically reduced sales price. The problem is the taxes because even though you could theoretically trade the car in on itself...7% adds up quickly. I think in some states you can get a tax credit to help mitigate the cost of trading in and repurchasing with a warranty.

3. The above assumes you currently own the car outright. If you are leasing it, buying it at lease end (or in the middle) is a perfect time to use a dealer to get a CPO.

Good luck and post if you find a successful way to do it.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim H.

2. Every dealer I've talked to says the warranty is only available via a sales transaction on the car. One indicated they could probably work something out with an artifically reduced sales price. The problem is the taxes because even though you could theoretically trade the car in on itself...7% adds up quickly.
This is correct. If you got the dealer to buy it from you and sell it back at a very low price (plus the agreed fee for the CPO), the sales tax may not be a huge burden. Good luck with it.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

CPO can only be had in these 2 situations:
1. CPO left over from a private seller in a private sale transaction. However, if a CPO car is sold or traded in to a non-Porsche dealer then the CPO is terminated and cannot be re-acquired.

2. Added on by a Porsche dealer when selling a used Porsche. There is a limit though on years, something like only the last 8 model years can be CPO'd and nothing over a certain mileage.

You can get it on your own car if you have a dealer that can do some creative buyback and re-sale to you to CPO the car. But you cannot get around the sales tax issue. And IIRC, you cannot get trade-in sales credit on the same car you are buying. Not worth it in my opinion. These cars are pretty much bullet proof. Now, a M96 motor, that's a different story
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

random thought - what about creative trades rather than buy-backs? In NC if I trade in a car I do not pay taxes on teh value of the trade. So either trade it in against itself (no-no per Dell), or trade in against another car, then make a second trade to get back your car. No sales tax, and pay for CPO plus a little nifty to the dealer for the effort.

I know, pie in the sky, but what the heck.

Dell, you sleeping? What are you doing on the board man. Go burp/clean/change/play with the baby!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmm wondering what i would be like to wrry about an extended warranty???????? never been there before
Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stedge
r
Dell, you sleeping? What are you doing on the board man. Go burp/clean/change/play with the baby!
Just got done about 5 minutes ago with that. Now I have to work on my lecture for later this morning

Thanks God my wife is staying home for a few months!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

It's not CPO, but I bought an extended warranty through my Porsche dealer. Looks/smells/written like CPO, but only if I have to use it will I be able to tell. It had to be written with a minimum of 7 months remaining on the factory warranty (got this same requirement from 3 dealers). Here in CA, many if not most companies that independently sold extended warranties no longer write them due to recent legislation. (Having owned Jags for many years, I made the most of the ext warranties I bought for them.)
Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the info. I own the car so no lease issues/lien issues but seems a bit much for the CPO process. I may think about the Extended Warranty but have never used them before and am concerned of their real value.

I may just roll the dice as the car is built like a tank. Car is staying in fleet for a while as it is one the best cars I have ever owned. Also very low miles (6,500) so I should be ok.

Thanks for all the advice.
Chet
Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CME
... I may think about the Extended Warranty but have never used them before and am concerned of their real value...
Chet
For the Jags, there was real value. I forget what my premiums were, but recaptured that a few times in electronic repairs.

For most newer cars (incl Jags), the "real value" is peace of mind. Thinking on it now, I bought the extended warranty mainly because I was new to Porsche, had read about RMS issues, and, frankly, wasn't used to all the wonderful noises the car makes. That's especially true in a GT3! I just knew there was a problem lurking in the mish-mash coming out of the rear.

Nonetheless, IMO, it's a relatively small price to pay to be comfortable winding it up to 8200 rpm regularly.

Quick Reply: CPO Question