Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why did u choose a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 AM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my GT3 because it was different than any other 911 Carrera. Also it was faster than my NSX and I like it when people pull up from behind to take a pic of my rear ***.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it interesting that a lot of GT3 owners only track their cars and do not drive them on the roads. I drive my GT3 quite often on the road and find it to be very comfortable. Not stiff, very kind to my ageing back and real fun even at legal speeds. It does move around a lot on the roads due I expect to the suspension and tyres, all part of its charm. It is difficult to take into parking lots,service stations etc as it always seems to scrape the skirt and that does not look cool. I really enjoy my car on the track and on the drive to and from the track.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
ahhh............... informed consent!

Seriously why wouldn't you want a wife who could drive your car?

R+C
obviously you have never seen my wife drive a car! I don't understand it...she is great on a bike/motorcycle...there is something about 4 wheels that she just doesn't get...maybe I should start her out on a Citroen?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
obviously you have never seen my wife drive a car! I don't understand it...she is great on a bike/motorcycle...there is something about 4 wheels that she just doesn't get...maybe I should start her out on a Citroen?
I had a step mother who never learned how to reverse a car, we had to have drive through garages........
only in America
put a tapedeck on the tractor and let her drive that. When she has that mastered, give her a Smart.

R+C
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart_w
I find it interesting that a lot of GT3 owners only track their cars and do not drive them on the roads. I drive my GT3 quite often on the road and find it to be very comfortable. Not stiff, very kind to my ageing back and real fun even at legal speeds. It does move around a lot on the roads due I expect to the suspension and tyres, all part of its charm. It is difficult to take into parking lots,service stations etc as it always seems to scrape the skirt and that does not look cool. I really enjoy my car on the track and on the drive to and from the track.
i would love to drive it on the road if i could. but within 100 mile radius of my house the traffic flow is on avg 40mph on a GOOD day, else you are doing 5mph (this is on the freeway, motorway in UK parlance). and we have these "steepbumps" that would take out your entire bumper unless you go over them at 5mphs... and getting in and out of shopping centers i have lost over 10 lip spoilers on my old 6gt3... these are the reason i hate driving the car on street. it's not the car's fault, it's where i live.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Modoc
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
I bought my GT3 because my wife said she hated it and would NEVER ride in it let alone drive it...
This kind of wisdom comes from a long marriage !
Old 10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
jrok
Racer

To become a better driver in a car that rewards smoothness and precision.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Jager
Advanced

I got my GT3 because it is pure, has no computer nannies, and is as core a Porsche driving experience as you can get. The power and handling didn't hurt either. All it has is LSD and ABS (which I wish it didn't). All the handling and troubleshooting is up to the driver. Its a seat of the pants car. If you make a mistake, you own it, no excuses, you need to find the solution, fast. I remember one automotive writer said the GT3 does not suffer fools gladly. Especially with the right alignment, the car is such a pistol that you have to give it all due respect at all times. I like that. Its simple.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
MM-Racing
Racer

but sometimes the PSM could be helpful (switched on/off), I mean the long wet way to home after tacking day. You tired and you have to struggle next 300 km to home, it's not a pleasure.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jager
I got my GT3 because it is pure, has no computer nannies, and is as core a Porsche driving experience as you can get. The power and handling didn't hurt either. All it has is LSD and ABS (which I wish it didn't). All the handling and troubleshooting is up to the driver. Its a seat of the pants car. If you make a mistake, you own it, no excuses, you need to find the solution, fast. I remember one automotive writer said the GT3 does not suffer fools gladly. Especially with the right alignment, the car is such a pistol that you have to give it all due respect at all times. I like that. Its simple.
+1! I couldn't have said that better myself. Although I much prefer the looks of the 997 GT3, it lacks the rawness of the 996 GT3. This type of "throwback" 911 was a revelation in itself as we had not seen this type of 911 in the US for many, many years...

I have so much fun driving the GT3 on the track that I keep it at the track because driving on the street is no longer an adrenaline rush. I have another 911 for cruising with the top down...

-B

Quick Reply: why did u choose a GT3?