Sponsored by:

why did u choose a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question why did u choose a GT3?

At a recent Porsche driver training day the instuructors told everyone not (ever) to turn off the PCM system. They said the system was fantastic saved lives etc etc . The GT3 owners were asked to stay behind and told that as we (being stupid) did not have PSM we needed to be extra careful during the exercises and doing the laps. These cars can be dangerous and we all want you to go home in one piece!
Later on someone (not a GT3 owner) asked me why I chose a GT3. I had no immediate answer as I think I made the decision with my heart and and not my head. I have never had PASM on any Porsche I have owned so I dont know what I am missing. My question to other GT3 owners are:
[*] why did u choose a GT3[*] Is PASM really that good[*] would you buy a 997 GT3 just to get PASM
any regrets??
Old 10-21-2007, 07:54 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuart

What are you rabbiting on about?

PCM - Porsche Communications Management
PASM - Porsche Active Suspension Management
PSM - Porsche Stability Management

So the instructors were telling you not to turn of the PCM, presumably they wanted everybody to use handsfree headsets with their mobile phones? Or listen to the traffic reports?

Given how expensive Pcars are in Aotearoa, the advice to leave on the PSM was probably sage, but not good for the dealer's parts department.

PASM is a mixed blessing, its value depends on where you live and drive. If it suits your driving conditions, you will love it, if it doesn't you won't. In Germany, its largely a waste of time. The cars lap the Nürburgring faster with it set on soft (off), and driving at speeds between 260 and 300 kph on the Autobahn with PASM on firm (on) is akin to riding a Thar leaping from rock to rock in the Arrowsmith Ranges.

People buy cars for many reasons, most of which they will not admit to publicly.

However you do take the LOMBARD award for telling us about the PCM which, incidentally, the GT3 does have.

People don't believe me when I say that Kiwis are well educated and knowledgable, a few more posts like yours and they will believe me.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 10-21-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Stuart

What are you rabbiting on about?

People don't believe me when I say that Kiwis are well educated and knowledgable, a few more posts like yours and they will believe me.

R+C
That whole post was funny.

Anyhow. I wanted just the car I bought. No electronic aids past ABS (which I am happy to have but would do without if that were an option). However, with that said, I actually prefer that eveyone else on the track has the electroic do-dads. Just to keep me safe from them.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Grrr. It sounds like their are too many lawyers over where you live, too.

It does seem a little silly, but I know they just don't want anyone to have a bad day. Why not just buy a copy of Need for Speed and sit safely at home?

Still, this sport has an element of risk with it (just like flying), but training wheels have to come off at some point. PASM is a great thing, yet people have been driving cars without stability management for years and years.

I have never had a car with stability management and I just don't push the car beyond its limits anywhere that there is a chance I might cause damage. So I am selective of where I push the car and really don't need PASM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marv
Grrr. It sounds like their are too many lawyers over where you live, too.
fortunately, Kiwi lawyers don't have as much of a free hand with personal accident as they do elsewhere, but they do tend to end up in the same jail as bent cops, a few years ago the Department of Justice bought a nice country motel for use as a jail for bent lawyers and cops.

Still, this sport has an element of risk with it (just like flying), but training wheels have to come off at some point. PASM is a great thing, yet people have been driving cars without stability management for years and years.
you are joking aren't you......you mean it as parody, don't you?

I have never had a car with stability management and I just don't push the car beyond its limits anywhere that there is a chance I might cause damage. So I am selective of where I push the car and really don't need PASM.
That statement is perfectly true, if you own a garage queen. You have no idea when or where you might need ESP (PSM to you). If you get tired of pushing the car, turn the key a little further and start the engine.

R+C
Old 10-21-2007, 09:38 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=stuart_w;4697544]
[*] why did u choose a GT3
QUOTE]

My wife was attracted to the size of the rear wing. It makes up for various deficiencies.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,473 Likes on 2,069 Posts

[QUOTE=ron_dargenio;4697687]
Originally Posted by stuart_w
[*] why did u choose a GT3
QUOTE]

My wife was attracted to the size of the rear wing. It makes up for various deficiencies.
Ron, I'm quite attracted to the size of your rear wing as well as you can see by my location.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

no traction contol
no turbos
8000+ redline
It was a perfect 75 degrees, on a tree lined 2 lane fast back road with the windows down...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The GT3 is the best "drive to and drive on the track" car available to North Americans.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

1. i wanted a car that can get on track without too many mods and can be used on the streets on weekends, simple.

2. robin is right on about pasm. and in SF and most of CA track's it's just about perfect. very streetable in soft and pretty good in firm on track. if you really want to stiff it up to cup car level, you can (kill off pasm and do aftermkt coil over), but for most mortals the car is as good as it gets. turn it on and just go.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

but most roads in NZ are krap, you have most fun driving on the kind of road you see in the NZ Rally, the GT3 is good at that sort of stuff, expect to see them rallying real soon now, there is now a GT class in rallying.

I suspect that my Sport Quattro is still faster than any GT3 point to point in NZ conditions. But much more expensive to wad up.

R+C
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

I purchased it because:

1) I wanted something with more precise and immediately responsive steering
2) I tend to like the "race" car versions of sports cars. Corvette Z06 - Porsche GT3
3) Two of my good friends have been porsche-o-philes for quite a while.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

What is the LOMBARD award?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
you are joking aren't you......you mean it as parody, don't you?
No. I think that learning to drive a non-PSM car is important if you want to advance your knowledge and skills. At some point the instructor steps out of the car or plane and you do it for yourself.

That statement is perfectly true, if you own a garage queen. You have no idea when or where you might need ESP (PSM to you). If you get tired of pushing the car, turn the key a little further and start the engine.

R+C[/QUOTE]

My car is not a garage queen, but I won't put property or life in jeopardy when I drive, particularly on public roads. Knowing the car's limits is one thing, but knowing when and where to push them is another (be it street or track).
Old 10-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Marv

If you want people to take your point seriously, avoid mistaking PASM with PSM, the two are completely different.

Believe it or not, driving fast with PSM ON, on track will teach you a lot about how to drive fast, safely and smoothly. If you drive smoothly, you will find that PSM rarely engages, so drive with it on and learn to avoid activating it. Its like a coach, everytime it engages, its like a nudge in the ribs and a voice saying 'well, that wasn't very tidy was it!'

Frankly with you confusing PASM with PSM, and the original potser mixing up PCM with PSM, the entire thread has taken on a truly surreal note.

However, your line about not putting property or life in jeopardy when you drive, leaves me speechless.

R+C

Quick Reply: why did u choose a GT3?