Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW LSD NEEDED : 04 CUP ? GUARD ? NEW CLUTCH PACK ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW LSD NEEDED : 04 CUP ? GUARD ? NEW CLUTCH PACK ?

My 2003 GT3 LSD is gone. I need to consider it's replacement or upgrade..

I have read different threads ( Phokaioglaukos, mds, Mike K, Shock Doctor). It seems that there are different options:

1.- Replacing the original clutch pack ( My shop will charge aprx 400 $) It seems to be the less durable solution.
2.- Installing the 04GT3 CUP LSD
3.- Guards LSD ( Which seems more difficult , and expensive for a non US resident)

I use it 95% track ( with Slicks ) BUT I do not want to make it undrivable on the streets..

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance to you all for your - allways good - advise
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Hi

I think you need to think about suspension, drive shafts, LSD, clutch flywheel, gearbox, final drive as a system.

In the mean time, you may be able to just replace the metal shims in the stock LSD, this will give you time to work out what to do long term, it isn't a solution.

It is entirely possible that you are now placing strains on the LSD that are quite severe. In your shoes I would use the winter to systematically upgrade the suspension/transmission. If you work out what you want to end up with first, this will stop you wasting time on parts that are not suitable.

You need your car to be bullet proof, with a little planning that can be possible.

Good luck.

R+C
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks. It certainly makes sense...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

C
u
p

C
a
r
Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

So what's the difference between a CUP car and a RSR?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Juha G
So what's the difference between a CUP car and a RSR?
s
i
x

f
i
g
u
r
e
s

R+C
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Gaurd unit is what alot of the top teams (Alex Job, Orbit Racing, TRG etc) are replacing the factory LSD with due to its superior performance.
I replaced the factory LSD with a Gaurds unit with specific lockups and have been very happy.

As you said not cheap but as I was upgrading the whole system on my car I felt it was worth the effort.

Last edited by smlporsche; 09-20-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Eddie

Just replacing the LSD is not addressing any problems, unfortunately. I believe he has to look at everything, suspension components, driveshafts, alignment, stronger drive train elements, mountings.....

If te LSD was relaced and nothing else touched, I'd expect more problems.

R+C
Old 09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Eddie

Just replacing the LSD is not addressing any problems, unfortunately. I believe he has to look at everything, suspension components, driveshafts, alignment, stronger drive train elements, mountings.....

If te LSD was relaced and nothing else touched, I'd expect more problems.

R+C
Exactly right Robin.
That's why I mentioned that I did it as part of my overall upgrade to the car..

BTW, How's your GF's track car comming along? Any pictures?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why putting in more robust diff plates requires a complete rethink? AFAIK it's a pretty common modification.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanH
I don't understand why putting in more robust diff plates requires a complete rethink? AFAIK it's a pretty common modification.
because this car is getting tracked really hard, with slicks and, for now, standard suspension components.

the LSD crack-up is a symptom of putting the suspension under high levels of stress. Sure, you can fix the LSD, and it will go again, or another bit will fail. The more reliable the car is the more fun time there will be on the track. The car is in the process of being modified beyond 'road legal', so best to avoid a 'bandaid' approach to fixing problems. How to make a GT3 a reliable track car is well understood.

R+C
Old 09-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by smlporsche

How's your GF's track car coming along? Any pictures?
Eddie

Its still in 'road-trim', and getting better, unfortunately, weaning a girl off a Ducati is quite hard. I am presently trying to work out a way forward for the gearbox, the numbers 6012 loom large, I'm watching the MPower and Alzen Cayman race cars in the VLN, one of our guys is on the drive team in 9 days time.

Driveline problems appear to be common. If we switch to a 8012, or the race original therof, we have quite a lot of tricky work, but it will be worth doing, and we could make it 'clacky-paddle' as the saucy minx puts it.

This proper transaxle has lots of benefits, proven in 24 hour racing, tough as nails, better weight distribution, easier to protect from damage in racing incidents, easier to change gears, integrated LSD, potential to get 'very trick'.

In many respects I feel like I am back sailing, its all about air management. I have to get a lot of air into the kind of space a moonshiner would fill with whiskey.

Good news is that we have unobtainium carbonish brakes that are going through the TÜV process. These look like being really special, we think we have found suitable pad material for road as well as race use. However, from a cost viewpoint they make whatever Ferrari, let alone Porsche use, look like Walmart bargains.

Pictures are still embargoed.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 09-21-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any chance to uppgrade a stock LSD to a cup unit or must you buy a complete cup lsd
Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rickard 993 Turbo
Is there any chance to uppgrade a stock LSD to a cup unit or must you buy a complete cup lsd
They just swap the plates for more robust ones. You can wear out a GT3 diff just using MPSCs, so I don't really see why you can't just drop the cup one in if you are doing that without worrying about everything else. It has higher locking though, so will obviously affect the balance of the car.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanH
They just swap the plates for more robust ones. You can wear out a GT3 diff just using MPSCs, so I don't really see why you can't just drop the cup one in if you are doing that without worrying about everything else. It has higher locking though, so will obviously affect the balance of the car.
as far as the plates go, its like hitting the pick'n'mix counter, its fun to play with the options.

one of our guys reversed the LSD and had a fun practice session driving different lines to everybody else, before he switched it back.

one day somebody with time on their hands is going to fit the GKN Italy sourced LSD from the M3 in the GT3, that is an impre3ssive unit, as is the kit in the F430.

if buying a new diff, I'd look beyond the cup component.

R+C

Quick Reply: NEW LSD NEEDED : 04 CUP ? GUARD ? NEW CLUTCH PACK ?