Two new toys don't work. Not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007 | 11:37 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Sounds like you've spend a few long evenings with Russell Bowler in Annapolis

R+C
Hahah!! I'm actually more into big ships but I do like sail yachts as well. Actually to that extend that I've spent many long nights in Annapolis during the annual boat show. Never met mr. Bowler him self but have read some interesting publishings about his work.

Oh, I did a study on sail yacht (well, motorsailers) propellers while I was back in University in Finland.
The study was about the Hydrodynamic resistance of the propeller under sailing conditions (Folding, Feathering, fixed etc.)

Sorry for the OT...
Old 09-20-2007 | 07:58 PM
CT03911
Banned

Talked to Motive today. They said it sounds like the bottle is not pressurizing properly and are sending me a new one. It is confusing to them how that could be and the pressure not escaping but that's what is happening. The seal that came in the box is required (it is the only seal on the system) and it can't be missplaced. They reiterated that at 20psi the flow out of any given bleeder valve will not be great. I would say that is an understatement regarding the weak flow but if the bottle doesn't pressurize more rapidly I'll never use it anyways.

I guess we are on a track to figure it out. Are you guys using 20psi?
Old 09-20-2007 | 08:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CT03911
Talked to Motive today. They said it sounds like the bottle is not pressurizing properly and are sending me a new one. It is confusing to them how that could be and the pressure not escaping but that's what is happening. The seal that came in the box is required (it is the only seal on the system) and it can't be missplaced. They reiterated that at 20psi the flow out of any given bleeder valve will not be great. I would say that is an understatement regarding the weak flow but if the bottle doesn't pressurize more rapidly I'll never use it anyways.

I guess we are on a track to figure it out. Are you guys using 20psi?
i only do 15psi, i rotate the bleed nipple one FULL turn, the fluid comes out quite quick.

dont know if this matters, but i never use less than 1.5 bottle of motul 600 in the motive.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:51 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

CT03911,

Did you try to rebleed the system with the rubber gasket in place? I suspect that without the gasket you had a small leak and thus less pressure power to bleed at the nipple. It should only take maybe 15-20 pumps to get the Motive up to 15 psi.

If Motive's sending you another bleeder, get the Black Label one if you don't already have it so that you don't have to spin the stupid bleeder bottle around when you screw on to the reservoir.

Don't pressurize the system beyond 20 psi. I use 15-17 psi and this creates a reasonably steady flow at the bleeder nips. Also, I prefer the 'clean technique' for the Motive (no brake fluid in the Motive bleeder). Just use the Motive as a pressure source and pour fresh fluid directly into the reservoir. No messy disconnects and no bleeder to clean.

With some practice, you should be able to do a thorough flush, clutch included, with one liter of fluid.

Enough has been said about your HD camcorder. I use a Sony DCR-HC96 mini DV with an I/O port mount and no image stabilization and it shoots terrific 16x9 widescreen footage with a wide angle lens.
Old 09-21-2007 | 12:54 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i only do 15psi, i rotate the bleed nipple one FULL turn, the fluid comes out quite quick.

dont know if this matters, but i never use less than 1.5 bottle of motul 600 in the motive.
I have been using 1/4-1/2" plastic tubing stuck onto the end of the nipples when bleeding. If I rotate more than about 3/4 turn, the line starts to entrain air bubbles making it difficult to see what is exactly coming out of the lines.

So, I rotate about 1/2 turn... no more bubbles.
Old 09-21-2007 | 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I put 2 liters in my motive and pump to 18-20psi. DO NOT GO OVER 20PSI! I attach my bleeder bottle (bought from CDOC since I was too lazy to build my own) and then start bleeding my nipples

Of course the flow is not like turning on the water faucet. Patience is needed. Also, by putting more in the tank than you need you can easily pour what you don't use back into it's bottle for the next bleed!
Old 09-21-2007 | 04:51 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
CT03911,
Enough has been said about your HD camcorder. I use a Sony DCR-HC96 mini DV with an I/O port mount and no image stabilization and it shoots terrific 16x9 widescreen footage with a wide angle lens.
I use an HC96 too. Have terrible problems with the extended battery (NP=FP90) vibrating and resetting the camera as it breaks contact =/ Even tape didn't help last time. Guess I need to go mad with it. Do you have similar issues?

Also why do you turn off the IS?
Old 09-21-2007 | 08:59 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanH
I use an HC96 too. Have terrible problems with the extended battery (NP=FP90) vibrating and resetting the camera as it breaks contact =/ Even tape didn't help last time. Guess I need to go mad with it. Do you have similar issues?

Also why do you turn off the IS?
That's interesting, Dan. I have been using the same fat extended battery without any contact issues. Perhaps your battery problem is related to the type of camera mount you're using.

The eurethane bushing on my I/O port mount provides plenty of buffer for the camera when filming... if I use the image stabilization, the footage ends up looking 'floaty' and unnatural. Without the IS, it looks great.

Cheers
Old 09-21-2007 | 09:13 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks for the tips on the bleeder guys. Perhaps my new one coming will work better but I cetainly appreciate the input to make sure I'm doing it right.
Old 09-21-2007 | 11:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

In general, no camcorder has the ability to compress video data to a card or HD as well as a computer. For best quality, most pros record to tape and let the PC at home to the data compression.
Old 09-22-2007 | 05:14 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by eclou
In general, no camcorder has the ability to compress video data to a card or HD as well as a computer. For best quality, most pros record to tape and let the PC at home to the data compression.
You can build SSD storage with hundreds of Gigabytes. The new laptops we have ordered have 32GB each, and they are single 'device' units - a storage unit with 10 of these in it would have 320 Gigs.

One gigabyte is roughly equivalent to 11 hours, 40 minutes of Flash video (at 450x370), so you can work out 30x640x480 per second in terms of hours per gig.

We don't need no stinkin' tape drives, we don't need compression (btw, your compression algorithms stink).

To this must be added some 'housekeeping', sound, and other data sources.

R+C
Old 09-23-2007 | 09:06 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
That's interesting, Dan. I have been using the same fat extended battery without any contact issues. Perhaps your battery problem is related to the type of camera mount you're using.

The eurethane bushing on my I/O port mount provides plenty of buffer for the camera when filming... if I use the image stabilization, the footage ends up looking 'floaty' and unnatural. Without the IS, it looks great.

Cheers
Yeah probably down to the mount. Will have to look at what you are using on the web.

Quick Reply: Two new toys don't work. Not happy.