996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two new toys don't work. Not happy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007 | 08:35 PM
CT03911
Banned

Default Two new toys don't work. Not happy.

Ok, got the Sony DCR-SR42 30GB HDD camcorder 7/30/07. The obvious solution, refund or exchange, is not available anymore. I had heard of possible vibration shutdowns from a guy or two after I got it (of course), but no flood of negatives. I used it a few times on a vacation and have only just now gotten the mount to try it in the car.

Well, it does shut down and quite easily. I have it on an IO port mount and also strapped down tight. Anyone having luck with it? Maybe I can sell it and if so what do you guys find works?

Next toy problem. The Motive power bleeder. Just got it, hooked it up, filled it with a quart of ATE and after a mere 100 strokes or so got to 20psi. What the....? After wiping the sweat from my brow then opened the bleeder valve and got the shortest and weakest little purge you could possibly get and still think its hooked up ok. I mean it did come out but soooooo slow. Check the pressure figuring it bled right off. Nope. 20psi still. Did this about 1/2 dozen times and unhooked it which is an exercise unto itself.

Called the wife out to do it the old fashioned way- I go over all the instructions AGAIN, she pumps the pedal again. You know, why can she never do it the same two times in a row? Help please with the Motive bleeder. Am I the only guy this thing won't work for?
Old 09-19-2007 | 08:59 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Could it be the battery on the camcorder that is loosing contact under vibration?
That's what happens with my Sony mini-DV all the time. I have to put tape around the camera before I leave the pits so it won't shut down on me during a session...
Old 09-19-2007 | 09:15 PM
CT03911
Banned

Interesting discovery Juha. I'm inclined to say no only because it doesn't just go blank which is what I would assume would happen if I pulled the battery off. The camera symbology goes from a red "rec" to a green "stby". Sometimes it goes to a blue screen, not sure what's up with that (over my shoulder) but it's getting power.
Old 09-19-2007 | 11:09 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

I have a Motive and it works well. I prefer to bleed the old fashioned way, but I often use it on the clutch or if the MC has been worked on. I suspect you may have a gasket issue- placement or some sort of leak. Usually only takes 15-20 pumps to get to 15-20# of pressure.
Old 09-19-2007 | 11:11 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT03911
Just got it, hooked it up, filled it with a quart of ATE and after a mere 100 strokes or so got to 20psi. What the....? After wiping the sweat from my brow then opened the bleeder valve and got the shortest and weakest little purge you could possibly get and still think its hooked up ok.
Sorry for laughing but I could just picture it.
Old 09-20-2007 | 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i am sure there's a leak wit your motive set up.
Old 09-20-2007 | 01:44 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toy #1: Not to be used inside a car, especially a GT3. The hard drive based camcorders are senstitive to vibrations, same as laptops and the new generation of stereos. My advice: keep the camcorder, sell the GT3 and get a Mercedes or sell the camcorder on ebay and get a ChaseCam, or solid state based recorder.

Toy #2: If you pour two bottles of ATE in the power bleeder, you don't have to pump that much. Once you open the caliper bleeding valve, it should pump the old brake fluid slowly, that's the way it works.

Do not use ATE Super Blue. Personally, my only choices are Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. I tried ATE & Valvoline already.
Old 09-20-2007 | 02:23 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Toy #1: Not to be used inside a car, especially a GT3. The hard drive based camcorders are senstitive to vibrations, same as laptops and the new generation of stereos. My advice: keep the camcorder, sell the GT3 and get a Mercedes or sell the camcorder on ebay and get a ChaseCam, or solid state based recorder.

Toy #2: If you pour two bottles of ATE in the power bleeder, you don't have to pump that much. Once you open the caliper bleeding valve, it should pump the old brake fluid slowly, that's the way it works.

Do not use ATE Super Blue. Personally, my only choices are Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. I tried ATE & Valvoline already.
What's wrong with super blue?
Old 09-20-2007 | 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gordo993
What's wrong with super blue?
boiling temp is lower than srf and motul 600
and it turns everything BLUE.
Old 09-20-2007 | 04:41 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Interesting discovery Juha. I'm inclined to say no only because it doesn't just go blank which is what I would assume would happen if I pulled the battery off. The camera symbology goes from a red "rec" to a green "stby". Sometimes it goes to a blue screen, not sure what's up with that (over my shoulder) but it's getting power.
Marine Engineers and Architects are kings of vibration, and keeping things in one piece when you fall off a wave.

Seriously, SSD is now cheap enough, so get rid of rotating storage. we are switching to SSD for ALL devices that go out of the office including laptops. Consider using cam(s) connected to solid state storage. We plan to investigate greater use of wireless connections, surprisingly, we have found that Bluetooth stands up next to F1 engines, so it looks promising. One of my colleagues is using this sort of technology to operate lighting and signalling systems on removable body panels and another is applying it to various rotary wing applications.

My approach is to convert to SSD first and then explore the mesh wireless options.

Its no good asking me theoretical questions about this - I just nudge the engineers in the right directions - a dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant can see for miles.

R+C
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:05 AM
CT03911
Banned

So I must need to call Motive. There is no leak. The bottle holds pressure just won't push it through the system at any appreciable rate. They send a little rubber gaskit in the kit, maybe I used that improperly. What pressure are you guys pumping the system to? Are you using the rubber gasket or just screwing on the cap?

Does anyone have a specific recomendation and source for a different camera? I know now that hard drives + cars = poor choice.

Anyone need a barely used $660.00 camera at a big discount?
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:17 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Does anyone have a specific recomendation and source for a different camera? I know now that hard drives + cars = poor choice.
have a look here

http://www.hireshelmetcams.com/produ...products_id=44

http://www.hireshelmetcams.com/produ...products_id=22

R+C
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:37 AM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks R+C.

Was just sitting here thinking about this for while and searching on line. Most systems like the one you recommend then need a recorder too. Suddenly the lightbulb came on for me. My new camera was a replacement for a Hi-8 Sony I have. I will resurrect that camera and see how it works.

My only goal is to review on my laptop or TV so maybe the fix was right here under my nose.
Old 09-20-2007 | 11:00 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Marine Engineers and Architects are kings of vibration, and keeping things in one piece when you fall off a wave...
R+C
Don't get me started on nominal & treshold frequences...
Old 09-20-2007 | 11:12 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Juha G
Don't get me started on nominal & treshold frequences...
Sounds like you've spend a few long evenings with Russell Bowler in Annapolis

R+C

Quick Reply: Two new toys don't work. Not happy.