Sponsored by:

Wheel weights and head aches

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:17 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weights and head aches

My weights come off every track event, usually by the second run group. I have Volk TE-37's with MPSC. I run Brembo floaters up front and stock rotors in back. Pagid yellow in front and black in back.

I have cleaned these rim absoulutely meticulously with CRC brake cleaner. A race shop mounts standard 1/4 oz weights with the adhesive they all come with and then I cover them in metal foil tape (from NAPA). I simply doesn't matter, they slide out forcing the tape up and away they go. I have tried two different lead weight manufacturers. I have not changed the tape yet, well actually, I used mine one time and the race shops another, but it all looks the same.

I know there is serious heat build up with this car, the brakes I'm running and my speeds but this is driving me insane. Any help out there?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Adhesive weights AND foil tape? That's the first I have heard of losing them with that level of precaution. What in the world are you doing on the track?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Simple solution... slow down
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
CT03911
Banned

I walk the paddock at every event seeing what others are doing different and I just can't figure this out. I see some cars that are missing weights and their drivers don't know it, one guys said "who cares with the rubber build up", that kind of stuff. All the stuff I see seems to be minor. A weight here and there missing and leaving the residual adhesive as a telltale. No one has ever said "hey, that happens all the time to me". This just seems weird.

I keep my wheels very clean between events (one reason the Volks are nice, a very easy clean). When my old weights are taken off (if they haven't fallen off) the adhesive is removed and the entire wheel cleaned with soapy water then CRC brake cleaner. In other words, it's real obvious if I'm missing a weight and I think on some other guys cars it may be a bit less obvious to them. That having been said, I have to find a better weight/adhesive and a better metal foil. Help me out guys.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never had that happen to me even at the blazing speed I attain in my 944 but you might try taking a fine steel wool pad and gently scuff the inside rim of the tire where the weight would go for better adhesion.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The foil tape + the stick on wheelweights are the only remedy. If you get the wheel clean then you will have no problems. Do not abrade your wheels to make the weights stick!! Youy just are not getting the wheel clean enough. All the wonderful car care products that spray on leave residue. Wash them wheels good with detergent and wipe it with 3M adheasive remover. Stay away from wheel cleaner products.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
billpor930
Intermediate

Smile Wheel Weights

It's unlikely your wheel weights are coming off without some help. I believe your calipers are probably hitting the weights and pushing them off. Check your clearances.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use duct tape, work perfect
Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM
NJcroc
Racer

have you tried composite wheel weights from 3M. I use them and they never move no tape no nothing
Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
CT03911
Banned

Thanks for the feedback guys. There are no clearance issues and the wheel cleaning is done with a wash and followed with CRC brake cleaner. I could lick these wheels they are so clean before balancing.

The issue here can only be the Volk finish (doubt it), the weight and it's glue and the foil tape. I'll look into the 3M product. Austin at TRG uses "Wurth" sourced 1/4 oz strip weights and he is sending me some. The tape has been NAPA and I'm not using it again. "Recerstape.com" is where I will look for a quality foil tape. I'm not going to change the wheels obviously so it comes down to finding a good quality weight and tape. I have heard of the duct tape solution before too. Doesn't that soft tape just melt too?

Between Austin at TRG and a local race shop this is the best conclusion we all have.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Myabe your car is telling u to liten the car-it hates more weight : ). It'll probably eject u out of the car if u gained weight, mike
Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I had a similar problem with my Volk T-37's. A few of the weights fell off on my first track day on a wet track with the wheels. The wheels were balanced by Tirerack and the did a very poor job putting on the weights. They used very skimpy double sided tape that I would not use to hang up a 4x6 inch photo to my fridge. I had all four wheels re-balanced at Tirerack's expense. Now, I am afraid to check the wheels again because don't want to see any missing weights.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Z06Kevin
Instructor

My guess is that the CRC brake cleaner is causing the problem due to residue being left over. This residue then reacts with the adhesive to reduce it's effectiveness.

I'd skip the Brake Cleaner next time - and just use plain old soap and water, and then lots of water to get a clean, chemical free surface. At that point, then mount the weights and go from there.

Kevin
Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

3m makes lots of different tapes maybe you can find one with the specs you need.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Just a thought.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
spare tire
Racer

Kevin is right!! 1.) Wash with soap and water
2.) Use you favorite solvent
3.) Wash with good old soap and water
4.) stick on the weights and foil tape
5.) I personally guarantee you will have ****ty time trying to remove the old weights
and foil tape when you get new tires and your rims will look
like crap because you refuse to spend an hour per wheel picking at little bits
of foam and foil.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights and head aches