Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weights and head aches

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:08 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an update on my solution to this wheel weight mess. I have contacted this company: http://www.perfectequipment.com/index.php and they are supplying me with the only high temp wheel weights I have been able to find. They sell the weight with the 3-M black acrylic tape backing made for high temp applications, #200624HP

Cleaning the wheels is accomplished by a soap and water wash followed by brake cleaner. All oil, grease, rubber residue must be removed and this is the way to accomplish that according to every source.

The last step is perhaps overkill depending on your car, your brake setup and to a lessor extent, your driving and use of the brakes. Cover the wheel weights with a quality tape. This company sells a high temp tape: http://www.racerstape.com/index.html I spoke with them and got a furnace quality duct tape and another very high end duct tape. I will experiment with both.

My problem has been in both not having a source for the good weights and my choice in tape has not worked out. I have looked at numerous GT3's this summer and see many guys with similar issues, most to a lessor degree than me but plenty of cars missing weights. Seeing that both of these parts are substantial upgrades from what I've been dealing with all summer I fully expect my problems to go away.

Next week I rebalance two sets of wheels and hopefully bury this issue.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:52 AM
sbda4@socal.rr.com
Rennlist Member

Last weekend I had the very same wheel weight issue with my Volk Racing wheels and MPS Cup tires. Many wheel weights moved (even with foil tape over them). I would be very interested in what you find that solves the problem.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 PM
CT03911
Banned

Reference my post #16 above, problem solved. The weights and tape mentioned there were used last week on a rebalance of my eight wheels. Today at NHIS no issues whatsoever. Of course now my MPSC's are toast so I get to rebalance one set when the new ones come in this week.

Anyone having similar problems, the 3M black adhesive wheel weights with Racer's Tape high temp duct tape is the way to go.

Thank you "Perfect Equipment" and "Racer's Tape".
Old 09-23-2007, 02:25 AM
sbda4@socal.rr.com
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll try your recommendations from Post #16.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights and head aches