Sponsored by:

how to drive a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to drive a GT3

I read a great article in total 911 (issue 16 Sept 2006) on how to drive a GT3 on the track (particularly in the wet). I wondered if anyone had read any other interesting articles about "how to" drive a GT3 on the track. And... can anyone recommend any reading on how to set up a GT3 for the track.

Need all the help I can get.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:13 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

PM sent.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important thing is to learn to get a feel for the car, having the proper alignment, equipment/etc makes all the difference.

Learn to take it slow and not get ahead of yourself, that is probably the best way to get the most out of a track experience.

The driver is the most important part of the car, assuming that the car has no safety issues.

Myself and I'm sure many others, often roll my eyes when I hear someone babbling about spending $$$ on some new improvement or "mod" because they think it will improve their lap time.

In all the elements of a car, the driver can always be improved and usually has the most room for said improvment
Old 08-10-2007, 12:18 AM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have been mugged by moogle....+1 Tom....if the GT3 is alligned properly it is going to go where the driver points it, and therein lies the rub
Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

If u drive within your limit and that includes ne car whether fwd/awd/rwd or engine whereit is- you are going to be safe. If u always been agressinve then your safety is in that area. I've ran in the rain in my GT3 and though racing lines are different i always been safe when I'm agressive. Now when i say to myslef time to take it easy-all hell breaks out. Your limits will save u. regards. Mike
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 + rain = Apex + get on the gas -> fun
M3 + rain -> Apex + some gas = OMG I am going to die!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amaist
GT3 + rain = Apex + get on the gas -> fun
M3 + rain -> Apex + some gas = OMG I am going to die!
Do you brake into the apex or brake before it, turn and accelerate out? Also, whenever I put back on the gas right at the apex, rear end of the car steps out depending on how much gas. It don't grip much.

With my M3, I can basically do anything I want with my set up. So much more fun!
Old 08-10-2007, 03:02 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

My M3 is a bit scary at the apex. You have to feed power very carefully. On the GT3 I can feed the power with much more confidence. The back is so planted. I can't transfer enough weight on the back of the M3.

I was able to brake fairly deep into the corners with the GT3. That part is not as easy as the M3 and the prime spot for spinning out at speed. The BMW can be tossed into the corner with almost no repercussions.

In the Porsche any time I feel the back a bit unsettled I just have to remind myself to give it more gas. The car loves more gas.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread interests me... I run at the track with a ton of M3s here in Utah, and I would not categorize any of them as faster than the GT3. I have ridden shot-gun with a few M3 drivers, and it is apparent that they are excellent driver's, maxing out the car's capabilities (and yes, many of them have turbos pushing 500hp, etc.) The do a lot more throttle steer than I do, but I can still manage to track faster...

Datax - I am on the edge of my seat waiting for that post from you saying that the GT3 is the bomb, but I have not heard that yet... Are you having set-up issues (alignment, corber balancing, tires, etc.)? I can get on the gas earlier in corners than any of my M3 friends, and I am certain that accounts for my higher exit speeds...

Lets get that GT3 sorted out right! Let us know how we can help! THEN you will be able to drive it the way it was intended....

-B
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

OK. So is there a situation when lifting off helps to settle the car?. All I am hearing is gas and more gas. Who does all their braking before the turn in vs those who do the turn in under brakes to keep the front loaded?
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart_w
OK. So is there a situation when lifting off helps to settle the car?. All I am hearing is gas and more gas. Who does all their braking before the turn in vs those who do the turn in under brakes to keep the front loaded?
almost never lift.
in SOME instances, you when are running out of track or talent, a slight wiggle of your toes off the throttle may tuck the front in, cut a tighter turn and stay on track, but i do mean just wiggle your toes. also be ready to counter steer when the nose comes in tight and the *** goes wide. it will happen very quick. if you have to think about counterstr, it's too late. somehow after driving the car on track a lot a lot, you will start to "feel" it naturally.

most ppl FINISH braking on straight line, at that point you should alreadey loaded the front tires so you can turn in no problem. for advanced drivers, you may like to trail brk. and that really isn't braking perse, it's you started braking on straight and you decrease pressure on brake pedal (drag the brakes with small pressure) to keep front loaded to turn in. this is done lightly and not for long, else you WILL be saying hello to the rear end.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A stock GT3 with a proper alignment is a very nice car to drive on the track. And it is quite forgiving as long as you do not ask it to do something that it cannot do, like accelerate and tighten the line. For a rear-engined car, they are quite good off-throttle and can be driven reasonably deeply into a corner before they need power. Though not nearly as far as an M3, which is why the average driver feels more comfortable with an M3. Take an M3 into a corner too hot and you can just keep scrubbing off speed. Do that with a GT3 and at a certain point, if you haven't gotten back on the gas, the back end WILL come around. That being said, I found that mine was perfectly predictable and rock solid.

Rear-engined cars are most stable under power, and that is the way that they like to be driven. So my advice is, in general, to be squeezing on the power no later than 1/3 of the way into any turn.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Rear-engined cars are most stable under power, and that is the way that they like to be driven. So my advice is, in general, to be squeezing on the power no later than 1/3 of the way into any turn.
correct, but extremely hard to execute. took me over 100 days and 3 years to put my foot down and as i instruct, i find most students dont trust well and timely applied throttle = stability. but once you got it, it's so fun.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
correct, but extremely hard to execute. took me over 100 days and 3 years to put my foot down and as i instruct, i find most students dont trust well and timely applied throttle = stability. but once you got it, it's so fun.
So true...
Old 08-12-2007, 04:41 AM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
This thread interests me... I run at the track with a ton of M3s here in Utah, and I would not categorize any of them as faster than the GT3. I have ridden shot-gun with a few M3 drivers, and it is apparent that they are excellent driver's, maxing out the car's capabilities (and yes, many of them have turbos pushing 500hp, etc.) The do a lot more throttle steer than I do, but I can still manage to track faster...

Datax - I am on the edge of my seat waiting for that post from you saying that the GT3 is the bomb, but I have not heard that yet... Are you having set-up issues (alignment, corber balancing, tires, etc.)? I can get on the gas earlier in corners than any of my M3 friends, and I am certain that accounts for my higher exit speeds...

Lets get that GT3 sorted out right! Let us know how we can help! THEN you will be able to drive it the way it was intended....

-B
Thanks, B. I'm glad I'm getting some attention here. I really love to be able to drive this car fast and be able to squeeze as much performance as possible from basically a stock car. Trying so hard to get things right these days. But, with coolent hose issues and busy work schedules makes me pretty tough to do what I want.

As for the car, I'm pretty sure it's align, right. After my spin, I recheck everything again and make sure things are in good shape. But, still rear end is wants to go wild if you back on the gas soon enough when exiting corners especially on decreasing radius turns as well as on the exits of high speed curves. Guess I'm not doing it right. Also, I do not have a front splitter. Hope that doesn't contribute much to my experience. With my M3, I can go pretty fast. Becasue car is so easy to drive that I can learn the track so much faster too. Margin of error that the car allow to the driver for going fast is so big, while GT3 is opposite. That's what I found out at this point. At the same time, I've been driving M3s on the track for 3 years and GT3 for 2 months only. So, guess I have to wait and see how I coupe with the porsche later. May be I'm just afraid that I'll be one of those who can never be a porsche driver? J/k.

Anyway, thanks for posting the tips, guys. Very cool indeed.

Quick Reply: how to drive a GT3