Sponsored by:

how to drive a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

datax, what you describe sounds strange for a gt3.
for dec radius turns, i would lift a tiny bit to turn in and then screeze the throttle, when the rear comes loose i would apply more throttle slowly and unwind more.

it sounds you dont have much rear toe if you have have the prob you described, and that has been some issues for GT3's. some apparently cannot hold rear toe for more than 5 seconds, ask NJGT. my has never had that issue and is tracked extensive. so keep checking. and it is NOT easy to align these cars. most of the cars i drove, where out of whack, when the owners told me there were align correctly by hunter machines. i would do strings. hunter machine has too much tolearance.

i tracked a E36m3, full true coil over conversion with even better shox than ground control's top stuff. it is stable, but not as stable as stock GT3 under power.

that said, 911 is a funny car and drives like nothing else. moving from M3 to GT3 for just 2 months is a short time. give it 2 years, you will love GT3, really. but it is true that some bimmer drivers never fall in love with 911's. nothing wrong with that.

Margin of error that the car allow to the driver for going fast is so big, while GT3 is opposite.
it's very very hard to screw up driving a well set up E36m3. you had to work very very hard to get it out of shape. there is NO MARGIN for error in GT3, it's much faster than m3 and has a much more playful ***.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

In addition to all the good comments you are receiving here, you must also get the tire pressures correct for track use.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Thanks, B. I'm glad I'm getting some attention here. I really love to be able to drive this car fast and be able to squeeze as much performance as possible from basically a stock car. Trying so hard to get things right these days. But, with coolent hose issues and busy work schedules makes me pretty tough to do what I want.

As for the car, I'm pretty sure it's align, right. After my spin, I recheck everything again and make sure things are in good shape. But, still rear end is wants to go wild if you back on the gas soon enough when exiting corners especially on decreasing radius turns as well as on the exits of high speed curves. Guess I'm not doing it right. Also, I do not have a front splitter. Hope that doesn't contribute much to my experience. With my M3, I can go pretty fast. Becasue car is so easy to drive that I can learn the track so much faster too. Margin of error that the car allow to the driver for going fast is so big, while GT3 is opposite. That's what I found out at this point. At the same time, I've been driving M3s on the track for 3 years and GT3 for 2 months only. So, guess I have to wait and see how I coupe with the porsche later. May be I'm just afraid that I'll be one of those who can never be a porsche driver? J/k.

Anyway, thanks for posting the tips, guys. Very cool indeed.
Too much steering input may be the culprit, another hard learned discipline is opening the wheels earlier than you think you can. Too much throttle input will put you in a bad spot if you are on the gas, this is where your turn in/ trakc out become the most important because if they arent accurate you end up with too much steering input.

And contrary to popular beleif, if you are throttle steering, you arent going fast, you are just compensating for bad suspension, tires, driving or spots on track your car doesnt respond well to, etc. If you stay on line and apply throttle at the right time you will not be sliding around.

Try late apexing, this eliminates oversteer. Slow in, late apex, on the gas hard.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Throttle steering is kinda fun though if cars around u. It aint fast if open track but sometimes needed if cars are around to keep the optimum trq BAND. mIKE
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

throttle steering? please explain.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throttle steering:

Changing the rate of the car's rotation by adjusting throttle input. Less gas more rotation, more gas less rotation.

Heavy use of throttle steering is bad. But balancing the car on throttle with small adjustments is often beneficial.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Throttle Steering -
changing the weight distribution of the car with SUBTLE changes of power; ease off to transfer weight to the front wheels; add power to shift the weight ot the rear. As Andrei states above you can adjust the line the car takes with SUBTLE changes in power. In a 911 when the back end feels loose, the solution is usually to add power to transfer the weight to the rear wheels and stabilize the car. If the car understeers, a slight reduction in power will transfer weight to the front wheels which will make the car turn-in.

Best,
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Try late apexing, this eliminates oversteer. Slow in, late apex, on the gas hard.
I did that actually. The car goes very quick. I guess that's how you drive the 911s because there's no way I could start accelerating out (even if gradually) at 1/3 into the corner like some other guys said in above posts. Car isn't stable. May be I need a toe links or whatever that kit that you guys were talking about. Or, my car has bad engine mounts or bushings.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
In a 911 when the back end feels loose, the solution is usually to add power to transfer the weight to the rear wheels and stabilize the car.
Hey Bob, how do you add power when it's already on the floor? That's when you hang on for dear life!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey Bob, how do you add power when it's already on the floor? That's when you hang on for dear life!
Duh...little red button on the steering wheel.

Didn't you see "The Fast & The Furious"?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,764 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger B
Duh...little red button on the steering wheel.

Didn't you see "The Fast & The Furious"?
sorry, but my nitrous button is on the ctr console.

datax, your car sounds very scary and something is wrong with it. sounds like you can't apply any significant power until very late??? i presume you have opened your wheel already?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by amaist
Throttle steering:

Changing the rate of the car's rotation by adjusting throttle input. Less gas more rotation, more gas less rotation.

Heavy use of throttle steering is bad. But balancing the car on throttle with small adjustments is often beneficial.
You are right. I like to associate Throttle Steering with increasing and decreasing slip angles and 4 wheel drifting. They all run hand in hand. Sorry for the confusion.

But on the other hand throttle steering isnt all that great for 911's unless your suspension is DEFINITELY set up properly because of the lift oversteer even with minor lift's during turns. I'd take my chances with slow application of throttle on track out before trying "too much" throttle steering.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Lift over steer only haapens if u fully lift. Throttle steering for most part is still keeping on the gas but oh so litely lifting/pressing gas pedal to rotate the car. Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Lift over steer only haapens if u fully lift. ..r. Mike
Not my experience. I am not greatly experienced in a Porsche having had about 10 years DE experience in a '93 RX-7, but have found the GT3 to be very reactive to even the slightest lift. Last track events (last year), I played with this more than a bit, and found the car ready to come around without "fully" lifting. Of course, the reaction was more severe the more the lift, but was a great learning experience.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Joe-if we ever meet ride shotgun with me. I'm not the fastest but to get u comfotable in the GT3 I'm all in : ). Mike

Quick Reply: how to drive a GT3