Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Track Days: What clothes do you wear?
FIA approved racing suit, gloves and boots
29.33%
FIA approved racing suit
0%
FIA approved gloves and/or boots
24.00%
Jeans and t-shirt
46.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Track Days: What clothes do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
The Russian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Days: What clothes do you wear?

I'm getting to the age when I'm starting to consider my own personal safety. Quite a few people are wearing racing suits on track days now. I used to think racing suits were a waste of money but now I'm wondering if wearing one would be a very sensible decision.

If I did buy a racing suit has anybody got any advice as to what I need, make + model, etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:43 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

I just use a suit I wore when I used to race street bikes, its an alpine stars. I figure if it will save me going physically down on the road, then it will work with the car around me!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're wearing a LEATHER suit?!! hardcore! My road race suit is cut and curved to be hunched over on a race bike... can't imagine it being comfortable in the car. I'm a jeans and tee-shirt guy, but could imagine a nice race suit if I tracked more often.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i wear sparco driving suit.
budget permitting, buy the lightest and highest fire rating stuff. i have Xlight 3000, was the top of line sparco. very expensive but very light. and even then it's very very hot.... i can't imagine what it must be like for the heavier less breathable suits.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

How many fires have you seen at track days? The suit is specifically for that.

If I start hearing of cars bursting in flames at amateur track events I will get a suit.

BTW over here they usually don't let you run in a t-shirt. Cotton long-sleve shirt is the minimum clothing standard.

I am not sure a bike suit is useful in a car. How is the fire protection on it?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM
The Russian
Instructor

I was being a bit flippant about wearing a t-shirt, but I'm sure you can understand the sentiment.
I agree about car bursting into flames, that is why I asked the question. I guess it is comes down to your
risk assessment of all possible outcomes.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

I use a single-layer Pyrotect suit similar to this http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...-firesuit.html

It's called peace of mind. In my 15 years or so of DEs, I've seen 2 cars go up in flames. Will it ever happen to me? Who knows?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Its not leather, mostly nylon with kevlar in certain key areas (for bikes). It is not very tight either. I bought it off of a friend. It is form fitting but doesnt restrict movement whatsoever. I use my bike gloves too, and they work perfect for me!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I wear a Sparco FIA approved suit, gloves and boots most of the time. Unfortunately it get very hot and humid here in the summer (was 95+ and very humid @ VIR last weekend) so I'm trying to fashion a cool suit to help because otherwise I think heatstroke is a real potential problem.

My suit is not as light as Mooty's but I'm also looking into the Stand 21 suits which are suppose to be the best made...i.e. most breathable.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
How many fires have you seen at track days? The suit is specifically for that.

If I start hearing of cars bursting in flames at amateur track events I will get a suit.

BTW over here they usually don't let you run in a t-shirt. Cotton long-sleve shirt is the minimum clothing standard.

I am not sure a bike suit is useful in a car. How is the fire protection on it?
That's actually a quite ignorant stance to take. Why have any of the safety equipment you do have? There is NO SUCH THING as too much safety equipment. While the chances are remote, they are there and if you want to play roulette, go right ahead. The bullet may never hit the chamber for you, but wouldn't it be nice to have the protection if it does?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
That's actually a quite ignorant stance to take. Why have any of the safety equipment you do have? There is NO SUCH THING as too much safety equipment. While the chances are remote, they are there and if you want to play roulette, go right ahead. The bullet may never hit the chamber for you, but wouldn't it be nice to have the protection if it does?
There is always a trade off.
My roll bar may cut the use of the rear space but I have seen and know of plenty of cases where it did do some work for the driver. It does not bother me when at speed.

The suit is a trade off. I'd be sweating like a pig and more likely to make a mistake that will involve other safety equipment including the suit. The chance of a fire in a reasonably new car is remote enough that the discomfort of the suit could outweigh the benefits of fire protection.

If I get a car that is much more heavily modified with crazy turbos, power, custom made bits, etc. I'd consider the suit safety/convenience trade off to have a different value.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Andrei, you said you'd be seating like a pig. Not everybody does

I actually don't wear my suit during the late July to early Sept events as it is to flippin hot. Not that I don't want to sweat, but that I don't have the proper cooling in place (pumped air into helmet, cool suit, etc.). When I dont' wear it, I go out in a long sleeve LIGHT cotton shirt and a pair of chino's. Chino's are so much better than jeans...more flexible and much cooler.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It's pretty heavy, but you can't put convenience or price on safety either.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Rob! I needed a good chuckle this afternoon
Old 08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Sparco XL suit, gloves, Nomex shoes, full face helmet, Hans, all the time no matter how HOT. If something happens, I do not want to depend on just luck. Going into turn 17 @ Sebring @ 140 (slow car) all it takes is a little oil, antifreeze, etc to have a major incident. What is your life worth

Peter

Quick Reply: Track Days: What clothes do you wear?