Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate users....do you have the RPM input?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the DL-1 rather than Traqmate, and get the RPM signal from the wiring harness. If you want to know which wire to tap into, I'll look it up again. Let me know if you're interested.

PLEASE , does anybody know Which - and a simple -wire to tap in order to get the RPM signal for a DL-1 on a 2003 GT3?

I have read about the DME E-6
Also about OBD pin 9
The back side of the tachometer
A black box under the seat

I am totally confused..

Which could be the simpliest way to go for a 2003 GT3 ?

Old 02-08-2008, 02:20 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I will have a few extras to share. I ordered this: http://peakeresearch.com/obdshop/pro...products_id=16
Currently I just the RPM input for my Chasecam for automatic syncronization for the data and the video. It will be nice to have the RPM information
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rodney,

As far as I remember you have a Traqmate.

If I buy the OBD right angle kit, I just have to plug the Traqmate Tach Input cable into Pin 9 of the OBD right angle kit, and that entire cable will work to record the RPM. Am I correct?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I'm going to help Rodney out with his cable... was thinking it will be good to take photos of each step as I assemble it and post them up, since this seems to be a recurring how-to topic.

NJ-GT, that pretty much should be it, you want to connect the signal from pin 9 on the OBD port to the input for the Traqmate.

Boqueron, IMHO pin 9 is easiest. Using the OBD plug, it is "non-destructive" and easily removable (i.e. when going to the dealer for service). Back side of the tachometer must be really hard to get to. And personally I don't dare touch the wires going into the DME. If I had to splice into pin 9, I would feel safer there than the tach or DME - if I accidentally cut the OBD wire, I don't think the car would really be affected but if the tach or DME cable is cut....
Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I'd like one of these too. If anyone is buying some, please contact me...I'd like to buy one from you. I have a Traqmate, and used it on my 993. The RPM info is very interesting and useful.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I will have a few extras to share. I ordered this: http://peakeresearch.com/obdshop/pro...products_id=16
Currently I just the RPM input for my Chasecam for automatic syncronization for the data and the video. It will be nice to have the RPM information
Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I'd like one of these too. If anyone is buying some, please contact me...I'd like to buy one from you. I have a Traqmate, and used it on my 993. The RPM info is very interesting and useful.
Just call me the matchmaker.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:26 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Here is a link to the part: Traqmate RPM input

If so, where are you tapping into the RPM signal?

I am thinking of adding the Traqvision software but feel it is worthless without adding the RPM input.

TIA!
I took mine to Eurosport and asked them to install it. Pathetic eh?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM
boqueron
Pro

HELP PLEASE !!
I have expent all the afternoon trying to install the sensors - unsuccesfully - with my mechanic. Has anyone been able to connect to a DL-1 to : a ) a Pedal Movement sensor, b) an On/off brake light signal and c) an RPM sensor.

HOw ?? PLEASE !!

PS.- A DL-1 from Racetech on a GT3 ??
PPS.- A traqmate on a GT3 ?
PPPS.- A G2X on a GT3 ??
Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
HELP PLEASE !!
I have expent all the afternoon trying to install the sensors - unsuccesfully - with my mechanic. Has anyone been able to connect to a DL-1 to : a ) a Pedal Movement sensor, b) an On/off brake light signal and c) an RPM sensor.

HOw ?? PLEASE !!

PPS.- A traqmate on a GT3 ?
Me. OBD pin 9, and it works fine. That's if you're asking about acquiring an rpm signal.

I just crimped a male spade (is that redundant?) on the wire, and it slips in and out without a problem.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:52 AM
boqueron
Pro

THANKS !!!!

One male spade on pin 9 on the OBD.

Please, Where did you connect the other 3 ends of the two wires ? the other side of the one connected to the pin 9 to one 0-12 v input of the DL-1, and the other wire one end to GROUND in the car an the other to the GRnd in the DL- 1 ???? )
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
THANKS !!!!

One male spade on pin 9 on the OBD.

Please, Where did you connect the other 3 ends of the two wires ? the other side of the one connected to the pin 9 to one 0-12 v input of the DL-1, and the other wire one end to GROUND in the car an the other to the GRnd in the DL- 1 ???? )
The wiring must be very different for the DL-1 and the Traqmate. On the Traqmate, it's a simple single wire out of the RPM unit (which plugs into the Traqmate sensor unit) into the pin 9. No other wiring as I recall. I'm slightly immobilized right now (ankle surgery), so can't crawl in the back to visually check. I'll review the install manual later tonight, but am fairly certain it's the single wire.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I think one wire can work. Joe's Traqmate is probably grounded to the car via the power supply, and the RPM signal is off of the same ground as the car, so it should all work fine.

Grounding is important if you have multiple devices in the car, if they are connected, they all need to have a common ground from which to reference the voltage of the signals. For example, I was setting up a bullet cam and separate camcorder to record in-car video. The bullet cam was powered off the car, but the camcorder off of its own battery (not grounded to the car). The camcorder could not receive a good video signal. But when I changed the camcorder to power off of the car (thus the same ground), it worked fine.

If you are powering the DL1 off of batteries, and they do not have a common ground, there could be a problem. But otherwise it should not be an issue. You don't need to include a ground line with the RPM line. On my G2X setup, I just tie the ground from the OBD port/cable into the same ground as the power input for the G2X, so that is perhaps a bit superfluous.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
boqueron
Pro

Ltcjramos.- THanks a lot for your info. The pin #9 works beautifully !!

cchan.- Thanks a lot for your comments..
Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bringing up an old thread i have had a previous carrera s with rpm without problem on traqmate...my gt3 with same port and #1 cylinders on set up shows very high revs like 18k...anyone know the proper # cylinders on the display unit setup? thanks

Quick Reply: Traqmate users....do you have the RPM input?