Sponsored by:

GT3 6 vs. 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
Faster it might be, come back and let us know how understanding your dealer is when you come back from the track with blue smoke problems from oil starvation. Integrated dry sump is market speak for wet sump.

E46 M3 is just as fast as a punched out Boxster pretenter too, but that doesn't mean it's a better car.
Not all of us track our cars, or if we do it's just an occasional PCA DE; street driving is the primary intended use for our cars, even the mighty GT2, or they wouldn't bother with making 'em street legal. I've never had any "blue smoke" or other engine problems. No one is arguing that wet>dry sump for track use. You should be glad that PCNA sells thousands of poor ol' wet sump vehicles every year, since that allows them to periodically unleash GT3s, GT2s, CGTs and other wonders.

My last car WAS an E46 M3, and it's not nearly as fast as my 345 HP "punched out Boxster pretender". The M3 has 12 less HP, 12 fewer lb-ft torque, and is carrying around an extra 400 pounds. It was a fantastic car in several ways, but even my girlfriend could instantly feel the extra grunt of the 996....it's not even close. And don't get me started on the M3's body roll...

But all of the above misses the point, which is that we all have our opinions & preferences, but insulting those of others just diminishes you, and the level of discourse on the board. Porsche enthusiasts will naturally prefer some models to others (my next car will likely be a 997 GT3 with your hallowed dry sump), but we should be able to remain civilized and respectful to those who've made other choices. What's so hard about that?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I have pretty strong opinions on cars. And I am really a car guy first versus a BMW or a P car guy. So, I am pretty detached and don't let what I drive define me.

When I had the M3, the P car friends told me the M3 has no brakes. I drove their cars, and realized that yes, the M3's indeed have no brakes.

When I was researching on getting a Turbo, I almost got a C4s, and another friend slapped me silly (figuratively speaking) and educated me about the whole wet sump engine lies put on by PAG, and I got a Turbo.

So, I have problems with the TC and sunroof in the 997 GT3, and I also have problems with PAG cheating regular customers out of M64 blocks.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:24 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
street driving is the primary intended use for our cars, even the mighty GT2, or they wouldn't bother with making 'em street legal.
There are very good reasons to make a "track" car street legal. Not everyone likes to lug trailers to the track. Also doing things like taking the car to the mechanic or just verifying that everything seems to work requires a license plate.

I have seen too many "track only" cars reach the track straight from the mechanic on a trailer and something was wrong and they day or weekend was lost. Being able to drive on the street is very valuable to non-pro amateur track guys.

So saying that if a GT2/GT3 by having a license plate is not a "track" car is BS. Not a pro-racer, for sure. But plenty track car. Otherwise why does the ROW get a built in cage with the RS? So Porsche obviously thinks it is a "track" car.

Quick Reply: GT3 6 vs. 7