GT3 6 vs. 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrei:

You hit the nail on the head. They do it their way because they know they will sell it anyway. There is no urgency for them to change right now.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Back to our original program....... What do others think about the GT3 6 vs. 7? Have you also tried both. I've only driven the GT3 7RS. It was a hoot, but seemed a bit soft, (completely stock). I had no GT3 6 to compare it to, and since it was a student's car, I took it somewhat easy. I might have had a different impression if it were my car to drive. So...what do you think?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:09 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
Wait! Your car doesn't even have a dry sump engine.

And as many here have already posted, many of us taller track guys can't clear with sunroof. In my GT2, with the Euro seats, with my helmet on, I have less than an inch of headroom.
Well, I wasn't aware that one needed a dry sump engine to have a considered opinion. Pardon we lowly Carrera owners for besmirching your magnificence! Should we henceforth bow and scrape when you enter the room?

I'm 6'3" and fit fine with a helmet in my sunroof car with standard power seats, as I have in all of my previous Porsches.

Bottom line - I agree that Porsche should have given 997 GT3 buyers in the US the option to delete the sunroof, but still feel that those of you making a big deal of it, in the absence of any proof of slower lap times, etc., are engaged in an endless game of "much ado about nothing"...and insulting your fellow Porschephiles over the issue reflects poorly on you, indeed. I'm done with this topic.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by triode
Well, I wasn't aware that one needed a dry sump engine to have a considered opinion. Pardon we lowly Carrera owners for besmirching your magnificence! Should we henceforth bow and scrape when you enter the room?
Well, you bought PAG's brilliant marketing of selling "911" with a punched out Boxster wet sump engine. I am sure you remember back before the 996 days, all 911's have real dry sump engines, and you can actually track them without worrying about oil starvation and then have the dealer void your warranty because you "raced it."

I'm 6'3" and fit fine with a helmet in my sunroof car with standard power seats, as I have in all of my previous Porsches.
I guess you miss the part about inseams.

Bottom line - I agree that Porsche should have given 997 GT3 buyers in the US the option to delete the sunroof, but still feel that those of you making a big deal of it, in the absence of any proof of slower lap times, etc., are engaged in an endless game of "much ado about nothing"...and insulting your fellow Porschephiles over the issue reflects poorly on you, indeed. I'm done with this topic.
It is a big deal because of the kind of car it is. Did any of the German press cars come with mandatory hole?

Why spend all that R&D $$ to put in thinner carpet, lousy heat insulation, lousy sound deadnening, and then put weight back at the worst possible location, if not because PAG thinks that we are a nation of one hand 12 o'clock bling drivers with powered heated cupholders?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree it should have been an option I was pissed too but heres the deal I dont notice it now in the 997 Oh and Dr Ferry ordered his 73RS with a Sunroof and rear spoiler delete!-OH the HORROR!
What WAS he thinking??!!

But back to the differences. I had a Manthey 996 GT3 and I dont noitce much more power in the 7 as my (410 powerkit) modded 6. What I do notice is the 7 is much better ride on my bad back and not as nervous as the 6. That might be good maybe bad both had PCCBs. The 7 is easier to drive and the interior is equivalent althought I like the 7 better- When I say equivalent I mean the Full leather carbon decked out 6 is as nice as the non leather 7 . I miss the Thicker wheel and the carbon shifter. I dont know that I am a big fan of the Alcantara wheel shifter combo. I like the dials instrumentation better in the 7- I love the front end of the 7 better than the 6 (old 993 type lights) and I might miss the rear spoiler of the 6 more.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:29 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by mrpc12
Andrei:

You hit the nail on the head. They do it their way because they know they will sell it anyway. There is no urgency for them to change right now.
Well, they should remember the bad days, the days when a brand new 993 stayed on the floor for 9 months.

The HELOC ATM is drying up. And some of us have a long memory.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrpc12
Andrei:

And 4000+ US$ for white paint on an RS? And 10,000+ US$ for the model specific Euro seats?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

With a helmet on my head rubs the headliner in my 997S with the sunroof. I'm 6'4" and tall in the torso. Big problems.

I would have ordered my car w/o the sunroof were I permitted to do so but I never had the option.

I turned down the opportunity to buy a 997 GT3 partially because of the sunroof. For me to fit fairly major modification is required.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Of course this has all been covered before but I saw one post above that noted more head room with the sunroof? Do you mean when its open? Because with a sunroof the headliner has to be lower to fit the sunroof mechanicals, and therefore you have less headroom...

Anyhow, I had the choice. Had a 997GT3 spot if I wanted it. When I got the final word that it would have to have a sunroof I went & found a 996GT3 without one.

I have driven them both plenty and really like the 997 version, but cant warm up to the video game center dash stack - and the vents in the rear bumper will take some getting use to for me. But, GT3's are still the coolest cars on the planet. Either version. Just the ones without the sunroof are more my bag.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

you know. i dont give a fk about the sunroof.
but in USA, you drop $3-4k, they can put a unholed skin OEM on the car, like it's from factry.
if the hole is such a big concern, drop $4k then you are set.

i know it sux that we dont have a choice, dont get me wrong.
but the fact of the matters is that we DONT have a choice.
so why not just figure out a way to deal with it.
either buy a 996gt3, 997RS or fix the skin on 997gt3 then drive happily everafter?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mooty's got a point... The RS is so much more than about the lousy sunroof. I'm surprised no one has said anything about the cupholders!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's getting lost in the sunroof, etc. dust. How about pure driving differences, "eyes closed" so to speak. Which do you like best the 6 or 7?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:22 PM
stuka
Pro

With the 996, it's all driver, and no computer.

There's no TC, and the diff is agressive, and when you nailed the apex, you know it's all you.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:04 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

I find it amusing how so many 996 guys are saying that the 997 is easier to drive because of the TC, PASM, etc.
I think the 996 was easy to drive and so is the 997. The TC does not equate to PSM!
The headroom in a 997 with a sunroof is much more than the 996 sunroof cars had. For you tall guys, go try one out with a helmet and see.
While I agree, I didn't like the sunroof, I got over it (Of course my RS won't have one. But if it did, I would get over it too or just do as Mooty said - have the roof re-skinned).
I had tracked my 996 extensively and I will tell you that the 997 does seem to be slightly more stable in some corners - comparing stock 996 to stock 997 - but it has nothing to do with TC, PASM, etc. If anything the PASM is actually less confidence inspiring - in my opinion anyway.
I am confident that when I nail an apex in my 997 it is not the car driving itself.

That all being said, I LOVE both the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3. Having owned both, I would say if the cost delta is that much of a concern to you - keep the 996. It is a GREAT car. I wish I didn't sell mine. But I don't regret getting the 997 either. I just wish I could keep more than the Cup and the 997 RS. I would have kept my 996 GT3 and my Cayman S. But having to decide between them, I am glad to be getting the RS!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Hey Mooty's got a point... The RS is so much more than about the lousy sunroof. I'm surprised no one has said anything about the cupholders!
i LOVE cupholders.
when i leave the house at 4am to drive to track, then drive home at 6pm, arriving the next track at 1am and then back on track at 6am, i need all the coffee i can get. and those "handcuffs" work.

Quick Reply: GT3 6 vs. 7