Sponsored by:

Lift Recommendation for 996GT3 & 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lift Recommendation for 996GT3 & 964

I have the track bug, and now want to take on the maintenance of both my PCars (964 Speedster and 996 GT3). Unfortunately, I have a small one car garage which houses the GT3 while the Speedster remains in storage. I'd like to add a lift to this low ceiling (8"7") one car garage so that I can do minor maintenance (pad, rotor, wheel & oil changes, etc.). As my garage already has build in cabinets, stained wood workbenches, epoxy flooring & framed Porsche pictures, I would like the lift to be minimally intrusive. Being able to lift the car 3 feet off the ground would be ideal. Any recommendations?

I have been looking into scissor lifts, and might go that route. I really like the Bend Pak LR-60 as a compromise ($1500) due to it's low cost and apparent sturdy design. What do you think? Here is a picture that I found in a search on Rennlist (Greg D's lift & car):

Thanks,
-B
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like scissor lifts for areas with limited space. They are simple to put in, simple to set up, and easy to use. If you had more space, a 4 post would be the better choice but they are a PITA to set up and most require a crack-free floor and high current AC.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps these might give you some ideas/options:

http://www.ultimategarage.com/Tools/lifts.htm

http://www.revolutionlifts.com/midLow-rise.asp

http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-LM
http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/CTGY/LI-SC

http://www.werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/C120.htm
http://www.werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/stratosr.html
http://www.werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/s36.html
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I had (sold and am buying back) the Eagle Equipment mid-rise lift
http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-LM/602-002

I highly recommend it, and the price has come down quite a bit since I bought mine near 2 years ago. Makes all the "get track ready" work much easier. I don't go to the track with a sore back anymore.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. No height probs with the GT3?
Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what I was concerned about as well... I see that some people use 2x6s or the like to "raise" their PCars a few inches as they drive over the lifts... Doe you guys do that?

One other question - do scissors lifts lock? I am not confident to get underneath my car and have to trust only the pneumatic or oil system...

Thanks-
-B
Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
That's what I was concerned about as well... I see that some people use 2x6s or the like to "raise" their PCars a few inches as they drive over the lifts... Doe you guys do that?

One other question - do scissors lifts lock? I am not confident to get underneath my car and have to trust only the pneumatic or oil system...

Thanks-
-B
Good point! Yes, I put two 10' or 12' lengths of 2x12 on each side of the lift. That gave me enough room to slide the swing arms into the proper position on the jack points. Don't think you could do it otherwise.

The scissor lifts do have safety locks. Some have three positions, others six. The Eagle unit I had was a 6-position one.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm probably going with one like the one joe rec'd. Looks like a great compromise for those people that can't or don't want a 4 post/2post lift in their garage.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have 11foot ceilings or higher... it is hard not to consider one of the 4post lift where you can not only park the car up in the air, allowing another vehicle to park under it. But to also use the add-on hydraulic jacks that lift the car up off the lift platform for service work.

The low rise scissor lifts are a great compromise for servicing your car, especially when your ceilings are under 11 feet. They do sit up high on your concrete and you either need to build little ramps around it for your car or sink it into the concrete.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fully agree. I have the scissor lift as my garage ceiling is 10'. Otherwise, I'd go 4-poster.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have the ceiling clearance of 11' but hte 4-poster would be better if I had a bit more lateral room in the garage since it is a permanent iinstall. I am going to probably do the sciccor as a great compromise. I am TIRED of lifting a side at a time for service to prep for the weekend DE's.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
... I am going to probably do the sciccor as a great compromise. I am TIRED of lifting a side at a time for service to prep for the weekend DE's.
I'd been doing my brake pads and wheel/tire swap for some 6 years (5-6 x a year) before I got the scissor lift. HUGE difference in convenience. For $1800 (then) well worth the money. Looks like that unit's going for $1300 now.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Looks like I am all over it (or one very similar).
Old 05-21-2007, 01:23 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rabjohns
Looks good. No height probs with the GT3?
I noticed this question, but forgot to reply. In my case, I do have one limiting factor. When my roll-up garage door is closed, I can take the scissor lift to its full height. When the garage door is open, I have to watch the lift height as the roof of the car will hit the garage door.

It wasn't on my car that I found this out. Unfortunately, it was a friend's, and, fortunately, it was a DentPro fix that my insurance company covered.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I noticed this question, but forgot to reply. In my case, I do have one limiting factor. When my roll-up garage door is closed, I can take the scissor lift to its full height. When the garage door is open, I have to watch the lift height as the roof of the car will hit the garage door.

It wasn't on my car that I found this out. Unfortunately, it was a friend's, and, fortunately, it was a DentPro fix that my insurance company covered.
Doh!

Quick Reply: Lift Recommendation for 996GT3 & 964